Around the NHL: Part XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Depth on offense and defense will be a challenge for Edmonton.

Which really is a bit of a microcosm of their struggles for a while now.

Once you get past the elite talent that tends to come with having a first overall pick, or a pick in the top 3 or 4, you have to be able to surround that talent with support players --- either through the draft, through trades, or through free agency.

When you look at teams like Edmonton, and to a lesser extent Colorado, the challenge is less about having one or two guys who are among the top players in the league, so much as it's about finding players outside of having a top-12 pick.

Thus far, Edmonton still hasn't solved that problem. They just happen to be able to mask it by having enough of those former high picks starting to hit their peak production years.
Imagine having Draisaitl and McDavid...and your roster is still depresssing as hell to look at:

upload_2019-11-15_20-29-7.png

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
So is Babcock to blame for the Leafs poor start or are they a poorly constructed roster?

Both?

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
So is Babcock to blame for the Leafs poor start or are they a poorly constructed roster?

Both?
According to Leafs fans more of the former but I say little more than 50/50 for the latter. Maybe by a stroke of luck this year they make the playoffs and avoid the Lightning/Bruins in first round.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
We are happy with Panarin and Draisaitl is already 20 points ahead of him...unreal
No doubt we should be happy with Panarin. If he was on a line with McDavid he would have 10-15 more points easy albeit I admit I’m not sure if Draisaitl and McDavid have been playing on the same line this year? It’s amazing what he’s done playing with Fast and Strome.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

You think the state of the Rangers isn't good, imagine having that much talent and having these kind of problems. They went from pre-Cup Blackhawks—skipped the actual dynasty—to the post-Cup Blackhawks.

Rangers ftw

May 8, 2007

Both?
Reading the threads on Leafs board it’s a lot about Babcock being **** and the team being too soft, but also a lot about Matthews, Marner, Tavares and Nylander putting up points but playing like they don’t care. Also the Barrie trade, he’s not been utilized properly and maybe they should have traded for a defensive minded d-man, or at least someone that fitted Babcocks system better. It will be interest to see how long Babcock can hold on to his job if this continues. It seems like he has lost the locker room.

Reactions: Cassano

Anzi

May 16, 2019
Boston
I find it kind of wild that 7 of the bottom 8 teams are on winning streaks

SYnoTjv.png

Yet 12 of the next 14 teams are on losing streaks

QzVYYF1.png

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
Just recently started listening to some of the Spittin' Chiclets podcasts - and it's ridiculous listening to them try to read their sponsors' advertisements... Was listening to one where I believe it was Ryan Whitney reading an ad for the Dollar Shave Club - he starts off reading what sounds like the typical pre-written advertising schpeel, but then he starts personally endorsing the product and shares a anecdote saying, quote:

"I live in New York City now, it sucks having to go out walking by all these pigeon homeless people bothering you, asking you for change, people just don't leave you alone, it's so annoying.... SO..... That's why I use Dollar Shave Club...."

*resumes reading the pre-written ad*

:laugh: :laugh:

Can't imagine the sponsor was too thrilled to hear him inject a personal rant about homeless people in the middle of him reading an ad for their product...

:popcorn:

Reactions: Inferno

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
Purple Hayes......9-3 loss is peanuts compared to that Stat Line
SeasonGPGAP+/-PIMPPGPPPSHGSHPGWGOTGSS%
2019-202019437-78111110517.8
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Just recently started listening to some of the Spittin' Chiclets podcasts - and it's ridiculous listening to them try to read their sponsors' advertisements... Was listening to one where I believe it was Ryan Whitney reading an ad for the Dollar Shave Club - he starts off reading what sounds like the typical pre-written advertising schpeel, but then he starts personally endorsing the product and shares a anecdote saying, quote:

"I live in New York City now, it sucks having to go out walking by all these pigeon homeless people bothering you, asking you for change, people just don't leave you alone, it's so annoying.... SO..... That's why I use Dollar Shave Club...."

*resumes reading the pre-written ad*

:laugh: :laugh:

Can't imagine the sponsor was too thrilled to hear him inject a personal rant about homeless people in the middle of him reading an ad for their product...

:popcorn:
That's not Whit, he doesn't live in NY, it was probably Grinelli who is a parasitic loser and only bad thing about the pod.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Wow, I can't believe that the Leafs aren't a good team. I mean, who possible could have seen that coming. A team built without a lick of defense or reliable goaltending. A crazier thing, I certainly have never seen. Just can not believe they are not good.

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
Wow, I can't believe that the Leafs aren't a good team. I mean, who possible could have seen that coming. A team built without a lick of defense or reliable goaltending. A crazier thing, I certainly have never seen. Just can not believe they are not good.

But GM Dubas has a "New Way" to win the Cup..he is a genius...don't worry everything will wash out in the end:naughty::help::eek::oops::rolleyes:

Reactions: Berserk

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Imagine having Draisaitl and McDavid...and your roster is still depresssing as hell to look at:

View attachment 277851

It’s insane. I absolutely hate the Oilers roster. Even with Neal having a hot start there is virtually no one on that forward core, besides Drai/McD that I would want. Even RNH to me is a disappointing player. Not a bad player but just not someone I’d covet at all. Such an embarrassing roster. Just so poorly constructed.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
For all their smarts and analytics the Leafs are built like a college freshman in his dorm playing EA NHL Hockey. Too top heavy and too much salary tied up into too few players.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
For all their smarts and analytics the Leafs are built like a college freshman in his dorm playing EA NHL Hockey. Too top heavy and too much salary tied up into too few players.
I don’t understand why you spend a billion dollars on elite scoring forwards and then proceed to hire Dave Hakstol. They’re playing different systems this year.

I mean look at this shit. Their O-zone shot locations are completely inverted.

TOR
TOR

Reactions: Skjeikspeare

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York

Honestly, calling Andersen the "best goalie in the world" is by far the most offensive and wrong thing Don Cherry has said in his career and he should have been fired for that. Could have saved everyone a lot of grief.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
That's not Whit, he doesn't live in NY, it was probably Grinelli who is a parasitic loser and only bad thing about the pod.

Thanks...The Podcast in question was the one with the Bill Burr interview, and it was audio only (no video)... So I couldn't see the person speaking...

Who are all the main characters from the Podcast?

Paul Bissonnette
Ryan Whitney
RA?

Who's the guy they call R.A. and what's his association with the hockey world?

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Thanks...The Podcast in question was the one with the Bill Burr interview, and it was audio only (no video)... So I couldn't see the person speaking...

Who are all the main characters from the Podcast?

Paul Bissonnette
Ryan Whitney
RA?

Who's the guy they call R.A. and what's his association with the hockey world?
RA (Rear Admiral) is a guy who was a freelance hockey journalist who had a day job and is well connected amongst Boston hockey players (friendly with the Hayes’ and Tkachuk families for example), he was also a part-time (now full time) hockey blogger for barstool. He approached Whit who he knew was looking to start a podcast and that’s how it started. Biz was a frequent guest who then became a full time host. Grinelli is their “producer.”

Reactions: wolfgaze

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
RA (Rear Admiral) is a guy who was a freelance hockey journalist who had a day job and is well connected amongst Boston hockey players (friendly with the Hayes’ and Tkachuk families for example), he was also a part-time (now full time) hockey blogger for barstool. He approached Whit who he knew was looking to start a podcast and that’s how it started. Biz was a frequent guest who then became a full time host. Grinelli is their “producer.”

Thanks for the 411 (info)....

During one of the video segments Biz walks up to some random woman on the street of NYC and says, 'Do you know Rear Admiral?', and she definitely reacted like he was some pervert or creep, LOL...

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
The Leafs got absolutely shellacked by the Pens. Wonder how long before they sacrifice Babcock. Gotta think they'd want to see how a new coach would do with that much talent instead of dealing it away.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad