Around the NHL - Part XLIII

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
I went to their boards to hydrate with some Devils fan tears and found this gem:

.......? The bar is so f***ing low, it's actually absurd. And lol @ this board bringing up the Rags whenever people want this team to do good, the obsession is absurd

Finally! One of them admits it!
I lived in NJ so I love dunking on that team.

Last night Bratt got destroyed, the little devils do nothing because they can't play that goon they traded for because he can't skate, the air goes out of the building, and the gutless bunch of figure skaters just quit.

And the debbies fans still blaming sad sack Ruff for it all. What a weird little team.

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013

Obviously it's not going to happen because it would mess up the locker room, but it would be nice to trade Lindgren to Utah for the picks we shipped away to rid ourselves of Nemeth (ouch). Then we could roll with Mancini, Jones, and GigaChad as our 5-7 D and see what D is available at the trade deadline. It would also free up a lot of cap space for the trade deadline.

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods

Obviously it's not going to happen because it would mess up the locker room, but it would be nice to trade Lindgren to Utah for the picks we shipped away to rid ourselves of Nemeth (ouch). Then we could roll with Mancini, Jones, and GigaChad as our 5-7 D and see what D is available at the trade deadline. It would also free up a lot of cap space for the trade deadline.

You're telling me. He got the hat last night for wearing a racing helmet.

• Haha
Reactions: GoAwayPanarin

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne

Watching last night's game and I couldn't help think that Habs might want a guy like Lindgren. They need D who can eat minutes, they need a 'veteran' presence in the locker-room, and Lindgren doesn't really hurt their draft position if they go the tank option

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Not sure where to put this so I'll try here.

Over on the History subforum on the mains, we like to indulge in a little bit of fun now and then in the form of meaningless rankings, comparisons, and debates of historical players. This year we're ranking the top 60 goaltenders of all time, and in we're onto the third round of discussion, where your guy Henrik Lundqvist is now up for vote, with a spot in the top 15, and potentially as high as the 10th spot, up for grabs.

I know there's gotta be a lot of Hank truthers on here (as a Capitals fan, I'm one of his supporters in the project), or at the very least a lot of posters who watched most or all of his career and can offer insight, anecdotes, stories about him, all of which go towards making our discussion more fruitful and educational. If you want to join in, or just want to read up about how we think Lundqvist compares against greats of the past, take a peek at the thread! Thanks.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
The Islanders really should've rebuilt when Tavares left. They brought in Lamoriello in 2018, he helped bring them out of perpetual mediocrity but he pretty much doubled down on bolstering a middling roster. Back then even at that time I feel they missed their opportunity to do a proper rebuild/retool, and old man Lamoriello was never going to do that. That's what probably should've been done but I'm sure there was pressure to get back into the post-season and improve the optics of the organization.

When he took over in 2018 they were coming off 2 playoff misses in a row after seemingly a never ending run of little to no playoff success. Tavares left that summer as a free agent, once that happened they should've tore it down. Brock Nelson and Anders Lee needed new deals the following summer. They had too much money tied up in the bottom 6 and Andrew Ladd's albatross of a deal eating +5 million a year to be a bottom 6 player was the icing on the cake. Johnny Boychuk was a shell of himself making 6 mil per.

But Lou just kept doubling down on that roster bandaid after bandaid. After Lee signed that albatross of a contract the following summer he's only had one 50 point season since. He's never lived up to his 7 million a year price tag. Eberle and Bailey were good trade chips at the time. Varlamov could've been a chip when Sorokin arrived. Leddy was the only vet piece they winded up selling. They gave up Devon Toews to Colorado and then 2 years later ended up trading the 13th overall pick for Romanov to replace what they missed out on. It's not like they were completely devoid of young talent either. It could've been a quick turn around. Guys like Barzal, Toews, and Pulock were just entering the league. They just drafted future #1D Noah Dobson. Sorokin was ripping the KHL. They had future core pieces in place. They did really well building through the draft then they changed course.

Barry Trotz dragged those teams into the playoffs. And they had some good success too. But it was always a team you'd look at and say, yeah they're decent enough to grab a playoff spot but they're missing the high end talent to be a real contender. They had some good runs. But that's what it looks like Lou has built there, a team that's perpetually solid enough to compete for a playoff spot but lacks the star power to win a championship. They wanted Panarin, they tried to get Johnny Hockey. That's the only way they're going to land those players since they've traded all their picks away. Not a great formula to pray a star free agent comes to save you

But I suppose Lou served his purpose though, they made the playoffs 5 of the last 6 seasons. Had some deep runs. They had all that arena drama, now they're settled into a more permanent arena. The surrounding area is being built up around it as a destination. So in those aspects it was a success for the organization. But in terms of building a future cup contender, not so much.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
The Islanders really should've rebuilt when Tavares left. They brought in Lamoriello in 2018, he helped bring them out of perpetual mediocrity but he pretty much doubled down on bolstering a middling roster. Back then even at that time I feel they missed their opportunity to do a proper rebuild/retool, and old man Lamoriello was never going to do that. That's what probably should've been done but I'm sure there was pressure to get back into the post-season and improve the optics of the organization.

When he took over in 2018 they were coming off 2 playoff misses in a row after seemingly a never ending run of little to no playoff success. Tavares left that summer as a free agent, once that happened they should've tore it down. Brock Nelson and Anders Lee needed new deals the following summer. They had too much money tied up in the bottom 6 and Andrew Ladd's albatross of a deal eating +5 million a year to be a bottom 6 player was the icing on the cake. Johnny Boychuk was a shell of himself making 6 mil per.

But Lou just kept doubling down on that roster bandaid after bandaid. After Lee signed that albatross of a contract the following summer he's only had one 50 point season since. He's never lived up to his 7 million a year price tag. Eberle and Bailey were good trade chips at the time. Varlamov could've been a chip when Sorokin arrived. Leddy was the only vet piece they winded up selling. They gave up Devon Toews to Colorado and then 2 years later ended up trading the 13th overall pick for Romanov to replace what they missed out on. It's not like they were completely devoid of young talent either. It could've been a quick turn around. Guys like Barzal, Toews, and Pulock were just entering the league. They just drafted future #1D Noah Dobson. Sorokin was ripping the KHL. They had future core pieces in place. They did really well building through the draft then they changed course.

Barry Trotz dragged those teams into the playoffs. And they had some good success too. But it was always a team you'd look at and say, yeah they're decent enough to grab a playoff spot but they're missing the high end talent to be a real contender. They had some good runs. But that's what it looks like Lou has built there, a team that's perpetually solid enough to compete for a playoff spot but lacks the star power to win a championship. They wanted Panarin, they tried to get Johnny Hockey. That's the only way they're going to land those players since they've traded all their picks away. Not a great formula to pray a star free agent comes to save you

But I suppose Lou served his purpose though, they made the playoffs 5 of the last 6 seasons. Had some deep runs. They had all that arena drama, now they're settled into a more permanent arena. The surrounding area is being built up around it as a destination. So in those aspects it was a success for the organization. But in terms of building a future cup contender, not so much.

This might be the longest post ever written by a Rangers fan about the Islanders.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad