Around the NHL - Part XLIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Chris Kreider was teammates with Gaudreau during Gaudreau's first year in college. I can only imagine what Kreider and Gaudreau's former teammates are going through. .

Reactions: gabevh3

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Everyone should wear #13 for Johnny Gaudreau on their helmet and the number Matthew wore recently on their helmets this season. More has to be done about drunk drivers. Give them life if they murder someone while behind the wheel regardless if it was an accident or not.
I'm not saying they don't deserve it but punishment happens after people are already dead. Alcoholics inherently can't control themselves so the efficacy of deterrence is limited. This needs to be prevented from happening in the first place by whatever means possible.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I'm not saying they don't deserve it but punishment happens after people are already dead. Alcoholics inherently can't control themselves so the efficacy of deterrence is limited. This needs to be prevented from happening in the first place by whatever means possible.
You are implying that all, or even the majority of people who DUI are alcoholics. Not necessarily the case. And being an alcoholic should not be a defence. There are plenty of alcoholics who just f*** up their own lives, instead of theirs and others.

Obviously, depends greatly on what our definition of an alcoholic is.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
I'll be the dick here... Does someone who's brother earned $63M to date, need a GoFundMe?
I think what money Johnny Gaudreau has made so far in his life is of little comfort or concern to Matthew Gaudreau's expecting wife & unborn baby. Both guys just lost their earning potential for their families, forever. Further, it's one way people show their love and support.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Anyone behind the wheel drunk or stoned should get life, if they are caught regardless if they hurt someone or not. Said that won't happen

Respect to Panarin and Fox for donating to Gaudreau’s brothers gofundme
Source? This is great.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Source? This is great.
Maybe it’s for Matthew and his family ( I read he had a wife and kids too but I’m not sure )
A wife who is expecting their child

• Love
Reactions: RangersFan1994

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Great to see so many NHL names on this list, someone dropped 10K

Between the money Johnny made and the NHL players network, I believe Matthew’s widow and child will be fine financially.

Perhaps they end up donating the money to a charity, who knows. It’s simply an avenue to show your sympathy and support.

Last edited:
Reactions: Devonator

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You are implying that all, or even the majority of people who DUI are alcoholics. Not necessarily the case. And being an alcoholic should not be a defence. There are plenty of alcoholics who just f*** up their own lives, instead of theirs and others.

Obviously, depends greatly on what our definition of an alcoholic is.
Ok that's a valid point, so I'll concede that and come at it from a different lens.

I still don't believe in deterrence.

People aren't making this decision thinking they might kill somebody. They're making this decision thinking they can drive. The punishment for a crime you don't think you're going to commit is irrelevant.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Ok that's a valid point, so I'll concede that and come at it from a different lens.

People aren't making this decision thinking they might kill somebody. They're making this decision thinking they can drive. The punishment for a crime you don't think you're going to commit is irrelevant.
I think people who are drunk do realize that their ability to drive is compromised. They just don't care, because they don't think they are going to get caught, or that nothing bad can happen. But you do need the punishment to be serious too. There is a famous Finnish documentary of drunk drivers, where they interview a guy who has been caught by the police like 15 times. Never even had a driver's licence. Just didn't give a F. A guy like that, should be locked up behind bars for public safety, instead guy just ended up paying fines because luckily for him, he didn't kill anyone or cause accidents. Was just caught DUI.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
This should be the new cover. I made this. Its not perfect but the thought that counts
20240830_235323.jpg

CTTribe73

Aug 17, 2023
He got himsel
Manslaughter is equivalent to negligent homicide in many states. I do not view this as first degree murder (intent to murder) but other charges are likely to be added.
He got drunk.

He intentionally got behind the wheel of a car, turning the car into a deadly weapon.

What more do we need?

ZERO tolerance for drunk drivers. ZERO.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Mr. Higgins is going to prison. He admitted to several drinks and drinking while driving and also passing on the wrong side. They got him dead to rights.

.....and it's not always as simple as a Uber. That's not necessarily a thing in a lot of places and if I were a Uber driver I wouldn't want to go to bed at 10pm and get woke up to go get some drunk at a bar at 1230 am---knowing he might become belligerent or piss, shit or throw up in my back seat or I might have to drag his unconscious body out of the car when we got to his destination and then have to walk his ass up his own sidewalk or driveway to his front door where he may not even be able to put his key in the lock if he can find it at all.

This country has a cowboy culture and it shows in things like psychologically damaged vets returning from pointless wars.....the need to have the biggest vehicle to drive.....the assault weapons in our society sometimes even owned by pre-teenagers.....the crazy religious cults and a bunch of other ways such as who we choose for political leaders. We are kind of like a very bad and myth driven cartoon. There are lots of things to fix besides drunk driving and FWIW the United States ranks 221 out of 226 countries in the world for incarceration rate and first in number of incarcerated. More than China which has 2 billion people? We're just getting over all the non-violent drug law incarcerations that put hundreds of thousand of people behind bars some for very long stretches of time.

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada

I'm not trying to absolve that POS of blame for the tragedy; I refuse to call this an "accident"; he chose to drink and drive, he's responsible for his own actions (drunkeness is NOT an excuse), but if the driver was at some bar or someplace other than his own residence drinking, they could be held criminally liable for allowing that POS to get into a car and drive, and, sadly, in the case, killing two people.

I hope they nail his ass to a wall. He should be in prison for a long time.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad