Around the NHL - Part XLIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Just horrific, tragic, and gutwrenching news. I can't begin to think about the pain their family is going through. Gone way too soon.

RIP Johnny and Matthew.

Reactions: Devonator

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Just horrific, tragic, and gutwrenching news. I can't begin to think about the pain their family is going through. Gone way too soon.

RIP Johnny and Matthew.
Just read this on another site. Really heartbreaking. I really do not understand why people insist on drinking and driving. Take an uber. Have a designated driver., Just ridiculous. Wrecks 3 families instead of paying for a UBER.

Reactions: Devonator

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
Just read this on another site. Really heartbreaking. I really do not understand why people insist on drinking and driving. Take an uber. Have a designated driver., Just ridiculous. Wrecks 3 families instead of paying for a UBER.

It goes beyond drinking, it's reckless driving. He was trying to pass 2 cars, and the offender even had it in his head that the leading SUV was purposely trying to stop him from passing, thus he passed on the right striking both Gaudreaus.

Reckless and aggressive driving is pervasive and some reason, accepted. Alcohol makes you do stupid things, but I don't think it was out of character for this driver in being aggressive and dangerous.

Everyone hating drunk drivers is a lay-up, the amount of reckless driving we all witness everyday is just as bad.

Last edited:

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
So awful what happened to the Geaudreau's. Unreal. Impossible to even come up with words. I can just pray for Johnny, Matthew, and their entire family and friends. What they must be going through is unfathomable.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
I just found out from reading a general news site and I'm sickened. Enough has been said about DWI, but also something has to be said about two-lane roads and selfish, slow driver in the left lane. This is what I suspect happened that made the murderer pass on the right.

Reactions: Shadowtron

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
Ugh poor Hayes. Brutal news and a really tough few years for him.

Attachments

• IMG_2870.png
    IMG_2870.png
    786.3 KB · Views: 3

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
I just found out from reading a general news site and I'm sickened. Enough has been said about DWI, but also something has to be said about two-lane roads and selfish, slow driver in the left lane. This is what I suspect happened that made the murderer pass on the right.

It was a single lane in either direction, no 'left lane'

Street View · Google Maps

The offender passed on the right when the car ahead pulled to the center to give clearance to the brothers on the right shoulder. Recklessness was not a slow car, it was an asshole passing (illegally) on the right.

I was girding myself for bicycle victim blaming, but takes the cake that other vehicles, by all accounts navigating the road legally, somehow forced this asshole to kill two fathers.

Last edited:

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
Shocked and saddened by this awful news.I can't even imagine the pain the family is in

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
It was a 1 lane in a single direction road, no 'left lane'

Street View · Google Maps

The offender passed on the right when the car ahead pulled to the center to give clearance to the brothers on the right shoulder. Recklessness was not a slow car, it was an asshole passing (illegally) on the right.

I was girding myself for bicycle victim blaming, but takes the cake that other vehicles, by all accounts navigating the road legally, somehow forced this asshole to kill two fathers.

Thank you for correcting me. This guy needs to pay.

Reactions: frozenrubber

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
i’m appalled that this asshole who ended Gaudreau’s life was complaining he had to stay in jail until next week. Listen pal, your days of freedom are f***ing over, might want to get used to it.

Or he was an inpatient drunk asshole that had no concern for anyone around him and killed two people because of it

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
i’m appalled that this asshole who ended Gaudreau’s life was complaining he had to stay in jail until next week. Listen pal, your days of freedom are f***ing over, might want to get used to it.

Or he was an inpatient drunk asshole that had no concern for anyone around him and killed two people because of it
Welp, hopefully he gets used to being there because he's gonna have a little bit of a wait before he gets out. What a f***ing see you next Tuesday.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
I'm confused. How is this asshole ONLY charged with manslaughter and not twin counts of first degree murder?
Yea whatever's going on with the charges is mind boggling. AFAIK 1st degree is pre-meditated/planned, and (in NYS, based on a little googling) vehicular manslaughter that results in death carries a maximum of a 7 year sentence. Really disgusting and disheartening all around, between the act and punishment.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I'm confused. How is this asshole ONLY charged with manslaughter and not twin counts of first degree murder?
How are you confused by that?

It’s still an accident . But there are aggravating circumstances like reckless driving and intoxicated driving. Very very bad stuff but , even though I’m no lawyer, I don’t think those qualify as murder 1

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
All day I can’t stop thinking about this tragedy that could have easily been prevented if someone wasn’t being so selfish.

It’s beyond heartbreaking. Two brothers and the day before their sisters wedding? It’s just out of bounds terrible

I feel so so bad for the family and everyone close with them. Its so heartbreaking its making me emotional.

Take notice of what you have and love every moment and those around you. It’s so fragile.

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
How are you confused by that?

It’s still an accident . But there are aggravating circumstances like reckless driving and intoxicated driving. Very very bad stuff but , even though I’m no lawyer, I don’t think those qualify as murder 1
Murder 1 covers intention/premeditated killings.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I never know what the appropriate thing to say in situations like this is aside from that I wish every kindness on their families moving forward and that drunk driving and drug overdoses are two of the deadly scourges of modern society that I hope we eventually find a solution for.
Impairment technology that would prevent people from operating the vehicle is a very attainable solution.

In this case, I honestly couldn't give a tug of my right nut about "freedom."

Reactions: Siddi and Atax

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
It goes beyond drinking, it's reckless driving. He was trying to pass 2 cars, and the offender even had it in his head that the leading SUV was purposely trying to stop him from passing, thus he passed on the right striking both Gaudreaus.

Reckless and aggressive driving is pervasive and some reason, accepted. Alcohol makes you do stupid things, but I don't think it was out of character for this driver in being aggressive and dangerous.

Everyone hating drunk drivers is a lay-up, the amount of reckless driving we all witness everyday is just as bad.
I agree. I love sportscars but I always drive safely. I do not risk my life nor others. I see idiots on the road often. Usually they end up at the light the same time as I do despite all their speeding. Today I saw a young girl. Her car had the back torn off and dents along the side. When I pulled up on the side of her I noticed she was not even looking at the road ahead of her. The whole thing is beyond sad.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Manslaughter is equivalent to negligent homicide in many states. I do not view this as first degree murder (intent to murder) but other charges are likely to be added.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Everyone should wear #13 for Johnny Gaudreau on their helmet and the number Matthew wore recently on their helmets this season. More has to be done about drunk drivers. Give them life if they murder someone while behind the wheel regardless if it was an accident or not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad