NHL Around the NHL - Offseason moves and rumblings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Well Lou signed him to that contract in Toronto.

Probably as simple as Lou sees value in the player that Babcock and Dubas don't.

I know that is hard for the capologists on HF Boards to understand.

Then Lou needs to realize that Dubas sees no value in Martin, but wants to move him. And get an add on to the trade.

What a trash move if I go and aquire Bobby Ryan because I see value in it. I can see value in a player but also realize I am doing the other GM a favor and should get something else in the swap.

Reactions: TCB and JadedLeaf

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Isles have tons of cap space and reacquired a popular player, not a lot for Isles fans to like at least Martin hits and brings some leadership. For nothing this is a sensible deal for Isles

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Then Lou needs to realize that Dubas sees no value in Martin, but wants to move him. And get an add on to the trade.

What a trash move if I go and aquire Bobby Ryan because I see value in it. I can see value in a player but also realize I am doing the other GM a favor and should get something else in the swap.

Doesn't that depend on the opinion of the value of the player between each GM?

I would assume that the relationship between Dubas and Lou is fairly strong given they just finished working side-by-side for 3 years. Both are likely well aware of how each other view the players involved in this particular case.

So they make a deal both feel is fair to both sides. Why does Lou have to drive a hard bargain if he really wants Martin? Maybe Dubas doesn't mind having
Martin around but can also be convinced to move him.

NHL GMs typically aren't trying to bend each other over on every player transaction. I know that's hard for the Armchair GMs on HF Boards to understand.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Doesn't that depend on the opinion of the value of the player between each GM?

I would assume that the relationship between Dubas and Lou is fairly strong given they just finished working side-by-side for 3 years. Both are likely well aware of how each other view the players involved in this particular case.

So they make a deal both feel is fair to both sides. Why does Lou have to drive a hard bargain if he really wants Martin? Maybe Dubas doesn't mind having
Martin around but can also be convinced to move him.

NHL GMs typically aren't trying to bend each other over on every player transaction. I know that's hard for the Armchair GMs on HF Boards to understand.

Getting fair value isn't bending someone over.

I know you're trying hard to drive the point home about you knowing more about how trades work in the NHL but that's not the case here.

The Leafs losing Matt Martin without taking back salary was ideal for them. Lou did them a favor without getting much back in return.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Getting fair value isn't bending someone over.

I know you're trying hard to drive the point home about you knowing more about how trades work in the NHL but that's not the case here.

The Leafs losing Matt Martin without taking back salary was ideal for them. Lou did them a favor without getting much back in return.

It's not about me knowing more about trades. But your saying Lou taking back Martin without extracting another asset or sending back money is doing them a favour and it's not. Lou signed the player to that contract, he wouldn't of done that had he not liked the player.

This is a two-year contract, not a massive amount of term. He gets 2.5 million. The Islanders are WAY below the salary cap, just barely above the floor now with this move. This isn't some sort of super-bad albatross contract, it's small term and not big money at all. Matt Martin can still play, just because Babcock didn't value him doesn't mean other coaches wouldn't. He'll probably fit right in for Trotz judging by other bottom 6 wingers who have played for Trotz. Babcock wasn't a fan of Martin type players during his time in Detroit either.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border

Maybe Lou is still working for Toronto:naughty:

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Lou has zero concept of the value of cap space. To take 5 mil off the books for Toronto was worth a future 3rd at minimum.

Not all GMs understand the job and all the intricacies. Another sport, but look how many NFL coaches don’t understand how to properly use a f***ing time out.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Not that it matters much (or, as much as it used to), but Toronto is getting super soft. Not that they were ever big and tough to begin with, but you did at least need to keep your head up with Komarov and Polak skating around. Matt Martin is gone, too. I envision Wagner and Acciari having a field day on their defense next year(s).

Reactions: Strafer

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Not all GMs understand the job and all the intricacies. Another sport, but look how many NFL coaches don’t understand how to properly use a ****ing time out.

Funny you say that, considering it was Lou Lams who essentially the first NHL GM to send an additional asset with a bad contract to convince another team to take on that bad contract when he shipped Malakhov’s contract to San Jose by adding a 1st rounder to the deal.

Guess he must of forgot the intracies of the job all the HF Board GMs seem to know so well.

I’m not sure why you think that Lou wanting Martin ans getting him for practically nothing is such a stretch.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Not that it matters much (or, as much as it used to), but Toronto is getting super soft. Not that they were ever big and tough to begin with, but you did at least need to keep your head up with Komarov and Polak skating around. Matt Martin is gone, too. I envision Wagner and Acciari having a field day on their defense next year(s).
Leafs are soft as hell, but Boston rarely plays a heavy game against soft teams anymore.

Reactions: N o o d l e s

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
As an aside. I beleive Toronto paid his bonus and thus NYI will only be on the hook for 2.5 million in cash.

bolt thrower

No war!
Aug 26, 2006
Most overrated player on HF boards. I've never been overly impressed with him. Plus he's always hurt

Put it this way. Islanders have a billion dollars under the cap, need defense, and were happy to let him go.

Thanks. It seems he never played when the Bruins played the Isles or he's just one of those guys you never notice. I really don't understand why he signed with the Hurricanes but maybe he likes low pressure markets. Maybe we can sell the Islanders someone of our d, maybe they like to overpay.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Thanks. It seems he never played when the Bruins played the Isles or he's just one of those guys you never notice. I really don't understand why he signed with the Hurricanes but maybe he likes low pressure markets. Maybe we can sell the Islanders someone of our d, maybe they like to overpay.
I'd say he signed there because they are giving him decent term for decent money. This is a guy who has only played one complete season his entire NHL career, so I'm assuming that's why he couldn't get more term. I'm very glad the Bs stayed away from him. The last thing they need is a D-man who misses a lot of games injured. He is a pretty good player when healthy. He can kill penalties, move the puck well, and is an above average all-around d-man. But that is all he is -- above average. He's somewhat soft, has an overall crappy shot, and of course seems to by injury prone. Not the kind of d-man the Bs needed to be signing for $4.55 mil per for 4 years. The Canes can take the risk with him since they have plenty of cap space and D. If he gets hurt then they are still ok defensively. If he stays healthy then they have an above-average NHL d-man at a reasonable price.

pkunit

Jun 18, 2010
Calgary
How bad are the Islanders going to be?

I hope the Islanders own Toronto this year!

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Most overrated player on HF boards. I've never been overly impressed with him. Plus he's always hurt

Put it this way. Islanders have a billion dollars under the cap, need defense, and were happy to let him go.

I think that title goes to Colin Miller. People see his points, his possession numbers and call him a top pair D.

CDH is a 2nd pair D. Blocks a lot of shots, doesn't do much offensively, but good skater and breakout passers. Won't make a ton of mistakes. Think better Kris Russell

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
I think that title goes to Colin Miller. People see his points, his possession numbers and call him a top pair D.

CDH is a 2nd pair D. Blocks a lot of shots, doesn't do much offensively, but good skater and breakout passers. Won't make a ton of mistakes. Think better Kris Russell

I disagree, Id take Miller for my third pair over CDH for my second. He can't stay healthy. He could help out Faulk if they keep him, he's a better defender than Hanifin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad