Around the NHL - Episode XLV III - BEAST MODE ANDY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
I would take EK back in a heartbeat, only if SJ buys him out and we sign him to $1M contract with performance bonuses.

I have been unlucky to watch him here in SoCal and I can't blame it all on him. Since the trade it has been a horrible fit and DW forced it.

Is clear EK is their for the payday but his heart and soul is not with the team. Maybe injuries caught up and so on but he plays like he don't care and that's not player we know.

Sometimes players just doesn't work out with other teams, they don't forget how to play hockey but just don't fit in with other team no matter what.

Barring a major turn around next season, trade , roster overhaul , I honestly smell a major buyout coming at end of next season.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I would take EK back in a heartbeat, only if SJ buys him out and we sign him to $1M contract with performance bonuses.

I have been unlucky to watch him here in SoCal and I can't blame it all on him. Since the trade it has been a horrible fit and DW forced it.

Is clear EK is their for the payday but his heart and soul is not with the team. Maybe injuries caught up and so on but he plays like he don't care and that's not player we know.

Sometimes players just doesn't work out with other teams, they don't forget how to play hockey but just don't fit in with other team no matter what.

Barring a major turn around next season, trade , roster overhaul , I honestly smell a major buyout coming at end of next season.

he has so much signing bonus money due his buyout is basically non existent. I think maybe 70% of his contract is signing bonus

but I agree, I’d take him back here in Ottawa and I think he plays again in a Sens uniform

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
he has so much signing bonus money due his buyout is basically non existent. I think maybe 70% of his contract is signing bonus

but I agree, I’d take him back here in Ottawa and I think he plays again in a Sens uniform
EK will return eventually maybe at 50% retained, and he is LTIR'd after a few years per his blessing. His ties to the area are too strong.

Reactions: Yak

bacon25

Unenthusiastic User
Nov 29, 2010
Group Study Room F
As others have mentioned, even with those pieces I would rather have a 1C that Zibanejad has turned into. Brassard was severely underwhelming and IMO wasn’t a factor in the playoffs where I thought he’d shine. The dude got gift wrapped a goal by Karlsson and then had a flukey bounce to tie the game in game 5 vs the rangers. Seeing what zibanejad has turned into makes it even tougher pill to swallow on a pretty decent contract

There is no guarantee that Z would have continued developing in the Sens organization and most likely would have been traded along with the rest of the main core. So if not for Brassard it would have been for someone else.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Huge and great matchup (for us) with Anaheim & LA series coming up this week.
4 games from now through Saturday, Anaheim is 3 points below us with same # of games while LA is 2 pts up and have 3 in hand.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
As an interesting aside, “appeal to authority” is a heavily contested logical fallacy.

Many support the idea that appealing to authority has merit and doesn’t weaken the argument, while others feel that appealing to authority does.

It does make sense on the one hand, because what the hell is the point of pretending to have professionals in any field if their opinions don’t carry weight. But how much weight?

It’s an interesting one that get thrown out here often as though it was clear cut, and universally accepted in academia, when that couldn’t be further from the truth.

The weight you give to experts should depend on the rigor of the process they went through to be come the experts in their fields.

If you get a PhD (ie. you've done something new and provably effective in your field), authored numerous peer-reviewed publications and mentored numerous people who have gone on to do the same... well your opinion should carry a metric shit tonne of weight. If this is NOT in my professional field I will defer to this person.

If you are a marginal NHL player but player plenty of pro seasons, then go on to coach a junior team successfully, become an NHL assistant coach on an unsuccessful team then proceed to be head coach of one of the worst teams in the NHL for two years. Well, you've earned your stripes and your opinion obviously carries weight. But I don't think it's unreasonable for a lay person to question your decisions. There are no structured controls on your work, outside of the whims of your GM and/or owner. I'm not going to blindly defer to this person. And that is no insult to them per se, rather an indictment of the way they came to be considered "experts".

Reactions: Cosmix

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
The weight you give to experts should depend on the rigor of the process they went through to be come the experts in their fields.

If you get a PhD (ie. you've done something new and provably effective in your field), authored numerous peer-reviewed publications and mentored numerous people who have gone on to do the same... well your opinion should carry a metric shit tonne of weight. If this is NOT in my professional field I will defer to this person.

If you are a marginal NHL player but player plenty of pro seasons, then go on to coach a junior team successfully, become an NHL assistant coach on an unsuccessful team then proceed to be head coach of one of the worst teams in the NHL for two years. Well, you've earned your stripes and your opinion obviously carries weight. But I don't think it's unreasonable for a lay person to question your decisions. There are no structured controls on your work, outside of the whims of your GM and/or owner. I'm not going to blindly defer to this person. And that is no insult to them per se, rather an indictment of the way they came to be considered "experts".

It looks like you’re putting more weight on academic learning and research over practical experience and first hand knowledge. I’m not convinced that that should be the order of weight, but I understand.

The second point is that getting a PhD isn’t quite the rigorous process that you think it is. Each program is different, and while you are supposed to be ‘adding to the field’ that is often not a very high bar to reach.

I would seriously hesitate to put the presence of a PhD above practical experience on a scale of appealing to authority.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
There is no guarantee that Z would have continued developing in the Sens organization and most likely would have been traded along with the rest of the main core. So if not for Brassard it would have been for someone else.

It was a Dufus trade. Fireable offence!

Reactions: Raze The Stray

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I agree with you.

I saw an interesting documentary film the other day called "Inside Job" about the 2008 stock market problem. Some "experts" proved to be "fraudsters".

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

The first two links don't have anything from the past 15 years which seems a bit suspect, while the last one is pretty debatable with its entry for Ottawa given the complete lack of context. Besides which, even if we accept the Spezza trade as being worse, it doesn't make the zibanejad trade any better. For all we know they flipped a coin to decide which one to include.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
the only thing that can save Marc Bergervin’s job now is hiring Patrick Roy after Montreal loses in the 1st round.

he’s out of bullets - time for his Hail Mary coach hire.
On the contrary, Roy prefer have gm job.

Reactions: Cosmix

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
It looks like you’re putting more weight on academic learning and research over practical experience and first hand knowledge. I’m not convinced that that should be the order of weight, but I understand.

The second point is that getting a PhD isn’t quite the rigorous process that you think it is. Each program is different, and while you are supposed to be ‘adding to the field’ that is often not a very high bar to reach.

I would seriously hesitate to put the presence of a PhD above practical experience on a scale of appealing to authority.
'
Nope. I used an academic example because it is structured. I'd value the opinion of a master electrician (on electrical matters) more than I would an NHL coach just because he's an NHL coach.

One has clearly laid out parameters for being in their position, the other is just there because someone subjectively hired them.

And thanks for the PhD advice. If I ever do another one, I'll bear that in mind.

And thanks for the strawman. I never said a PhD was above practical experience. I listed a PhD ALONGSIDE other practical experiences. Producing publications means fieldwork, lab work, data analysis, etc..

Like I said NHL coaches deserve respect but they are far from someone who should be deferred to blindly. Or even close to blindly.

Reactions: Ed Wood and Cosmix

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Roy as President of Hockey Ops in Ottawa would be an interesting fit. Has the name and confidence to get in a real good battle of egos with Eugene!
Me too and apparantly is Melnyk that order Dorion to have an interview with him. So probably respect the guys

Reactions: Dionysus

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Bob Hartley is one game away from the KHL Gagarin Cup, after Avangard’s 2-0 win puts them 3-2 ahead vs CSKA Moscow. Hartley has titles in QMJHL, AHL, NHL and Swiss league. After three years in KHL, he may want one last stab at the NHL. He speaks French, no?
1f923.svg

3:06 PM · 26 avr. 2021

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Bob Hartley is one game away from the KHL Gagarin Cup, after Avangard’s 2-0 win puts them 3-2 ahead vs CSKA Moscow. Hartley has titles in QMJHL, AHL, NHL and Swiss league. After three years in KHL, he may want one last stab at the NHL. He speaks French, no?
1f923.svg

3:06 PM · 26 avr. 2021
This guys is a winner , after the time of DJ. I want Hartley coaching the SENS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad