Around the NHL - Episode XLV III - BEAST MODE ANDY

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Is it wrong that I saw the Rangers Fox patrol and the Wings Seider posse as the biggest homers on the site so I made a poll putting them against each other just for the lulz?

Was wondering why you went with those 2 guys lol. At least its not another Brady or Norris vs Kotkoniemi one. Gotta chill on beating that dead horse for a bit.

Reactions: NyQuil

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Damn Calgary. Why can't you take Montreal's spot?

I really want Calgary and/or Vancouver to go on a run down the stretch, because they finish the season with 4 games against each other. That could really screw up Montreal if they don't lock up the final playoff spot by then.

Of course, I also want the Sens to keep beating Vancouver so that doesn't help lol

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Is it wrong that I saw the Rangers Fox patrol and the Wings Seider posse as the biggest homers on the site so I made a poll putting them against each other just for the lulz?

3f4.gif

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
I really want Calgary and/or Vancouver to go on a run down the stretch, because they finish the season with 4 games against each other. That could really screw up Montreal if they don't lock up the final playoff spot by then.

Of course, I also want the Sens to keep beating Vancouver so that doesn't help lol

I want whoever has the best chance of beating Toronto to get the last playoff spot. Just so I can see Leafs Nation meltdown when they lose in the first round again.

Reactions: topshelf15

WORLDSTARHIPHOP

Sens <<<<<<<<<< NHL
May 31, 2008
Was wondering why you went with those 2 guys lol. At least its not another Brady or Norris vs Kotkoniemi one. Gotta chill on beating that dead horse for a bit.

Maybe we can freshen it up a bit with Tkachuk + Pinto v. Kotkoniemi + Caulfield

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Maybe we can freshen it up a bit with Tkachuk + Pinto v. Kotkoniemi + Caulfield

Maybe be a little more interesting at least lol. In the others its basically fans of every other team picking the Sens player and Habs fans telling them theyre wrong lol. The Brady poll got to lopsided they closed it.

Reactions: Deku

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
I want whoever has the best chance of beating Toronto to get the last playoff spot. Just so I can see Leafs Nation meltdown when they lose in the first round again.

I definitely agree, although I'm not sure which team would have the best chance. Oddly I think Vancouver might have the best record against the Leafs. But not sure they will have enough energy to even win enough games down the stretch here.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
'
Nope. I used an academic example because it is structured. I'd value the opinion of a master electrician (on electrical matters) more than I would an NHL coach just because he's an NHL coach.

One has clearly laid out parameters for being in their position, the other is just there because someone subjectively hired them.

And thanks for the PhD advice. If I ever do another one, I'll bear that in mind.

And thanks for the strawman. I never said a PhD was above practical experience. I listed a PhD ALONGSIDE other practical experiences. Producing publications means fieldwork, lab work, data analysis, etc..

Like I said NHL coaches deserve respect but they are far from someone who should be deferred to blindly. Or even close to blindly.

I don’t think you should defer to anyone blindly, I certainly don’t.

I would suggest that you defer to a journeyman electrician on electrical matters as well, can save your life.

Your knowledge of PhD’s seems very limited in scope, your example sounds very science-ish. This is not how many PhD’s play out.

As for the rest, your post is snarky and defensive, I’m not really interested in engaging in that kind of conversation.

I certainly hope my posts didn’t read as badly as yours did. If so, my apologies.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
How does McDavid have 77 points already?? The guy is pacing at a 140+ point season over 82 games.

And Draisaitl not far behind with 64 points...

It's not even fair.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
How does McDavid have 77 points already?? The guy is pacing at a 140+ point season over 82 games.

And Draisaitl not far behind with 64 points...

It's not even fair.

McDavid actually has 81 points now including tonight :laugh:

Edit- they just showed a graphic on the broadcast that he is involved in 54% of his team's goals, which is currently the 2nd best of all time behind Lemieux getting 57% in 1989.

Last edited:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
On the contrary, Roy prefer have gm job.

I Wonder about Roy in Montreal! I don’t think the Molsons are in any way interested in a power struggle or a someone who is stubborn or has a big standing and clout with the fans. The next GM of the Habs will be an agreeable guy who understands the importance of the Habs GM but just wants the job and is not interested in a red hot pursuit of a Stanley Cute and all the cut throat moves Roy would do to make that happen.

The Habs have become the golden retriever franchise of the NHL - happy to be there and be the most popular franchise year to year, keep things clean with the kids and everyone gets their biscuits. Kinda sad when you think of how toothless the franchise has become recently. Without P.K. Subban re-igniting the fire of hockey artistry and fan ego in his time there - not much has really happened to the Habs since they traded Patrick - and that’s why they’ll never win. They have become adverse to having winners on their team and the ego that entails and they basically want bureaucrates playing and managing the team as long as the $$$ flows. The purity of the Habs brand - winning but really having multiple winners in the city - is stained.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I don’t think you should defer to anyone blindly, I certainly don’t.

I would suggest that you defer to a journeyman electrician on electrical matters as well, can save your life.

Your knowledge of PhD’s seems very limited in scope, your example sounds very science-ish. This is not how many PhD’s play out.

As for the rest, your post is snarky and defensive, I’m not really interested in engaging in that kind of conversation.

I certainly hope my posts didn’t read as badly as yours did. If so, my apologies.

Of course my experience of PhDs is limited in scope. You focus on one area. That's literally the point. My wife has hers too, in another field, so I've lived through that vicariously.

Of course the focus is one area and, yes, there are all sorts of experiences to be had. But I didn't say just trust someone with a PhD but rather an expert in that field. Anyone who trusts DJ Smith's, or any other hockey person's, work in regards to hockey as much as a working PhD in Aerospace Engineering, Civil Engineering or any other applied science they need to give their head a shake. These people are the experts that make the planes we fly in and let us drive over bridges without plummeting to our death. Their failure rate compared to coaches and hockey execs is minuscule. One "Zibanejad trade" for these folk and there are dozens of deaths on their hands. I'll appeal to the authority of people with PROVEN, quantifiable track records with no (or a very small percentage) failure.

I won't appeal to the authority of someone that took 35 games to bench Erik Gudbranson or said that Artem Anisimov was our best player in camp. They get some credence to their work, of course, but they are certainly not "experts" on the level of people in the real world. That isn't to say that these coaches and GMs are always wrong. They've worked in hockey their whole lives and they know things that lay people likely don't. I just don't think their authority trumps everything given the terrible, and not uncommon, moves some of these people make in their work.

As for snarky and defensive? Don't pontificate AND put words in my mouth and I'll lay off the snark. Deal?

Reactions: Cosmix

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Have you seen the defenses in the North division?

I kinda wish that with our post-deadline D we got one more crack at the Oilers. Our D is more mobile now; a guy like Mete seems like a better matchup with McD than say Coburn or Gudbranson.

Not that there is a good matchup with that guy. We'd likely still get lit up but I'd be interested to see how it went.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Of course my experience of PhDs is limited in scope. You focus on one area. That's literally the point. My wife has hers too, in another field, so I've lived through that vicariously.

Of course the focus is one area and, yes, there are all sorts of experiences to be had. But I didn't say just trust someone with a PhD but rather an expert in that field. Anyone who trusts DJ Smith's, or any other hockey person's, work in regards to hockey as much as a working PhD in Aerospace Engineering, Civil Engineering or any other applied science they need to give their head a shake. These people are the experts that make the planes we fly in and let us drive over bridges without plummeting to our death. Their failure rate compared to coaches and hockey execs is minuscule. One "Zibanejad trade" for these folk and there are dozens of deaths on their hands. I'll appeal to the authority of people with PROVEN, quantifiable track records with no (or a very small percentage) failure.

I won't appeal to the authority of someone that took 35 games to bench Erik Gudbranson or said that Artem Anisimov was our best player in camp. They get some credence to their work, of course, but they are certainly not "experts" on the level of people in the real world. That isn't to say that these coaches and GMs are always wrong. They've worked in hockey their whole lives and they know things that lay people likely don't. I just don't think their authority trumps everything given the terrible, and not uncommon, moves some of these people make in their work.

As for snarky and defensive? Don't pontificate AND put words in my mouth and I'll lay off the snark. Deal?

Sure, sounds good dude. I definitely didn’t expect to rile anyone up over an ‘interesting’ tidbit about appealing to authority.

In the end you don’t know the development plans for any of our players, you don’t know anything that has gone on behind closed doors, you don’t know anything about the GM’s plans for the vets at the deadline, you don’t know anything about coaching at the NHL level, and don’t know anything about any of the players in question on a personal level. But sure, go ahead and put your personal opinions ahead (which amount to “the coach sucks I know what’s best”) of everyone in a position to have access to all of that information.

Speculation is one thing, thinking you’re right is quite another. Anyways, you do you, there is zero reward for arguing against this type of thought process.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Yeah the north is pretty weaksause,which is why we should guard against pumping our kids too much.. As we may have some who struggle against some of the better teams they havent seen yet

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Sure, sounds good dude. I definitely didn’t expect to rile anyone up over an ‘interesting’ tidbit about appealing to authority.

In the end you don’t know the development plans for any of our players, you don’t know anything that has gone on behind closed doors, you don’t know anything about the GM’s plans for the vets at the deadline, you don’t know anything about coaching at the NHL level, and don’t know anything about any of the players in question on a personal level. But sure, go ahead and put your personal opinions ahead (which amount to “the coach sucks I know what’s best”) of everyone in a position to have access to all of that information.

Speculation is one thing, thinking you’re right is quite another. Anyways, you do you, there is zero reward for arguing against this type of thought process.

I guess that's a no on the putting words in my mouth, eh?

I never said I'm right about anything. I literally said that coaches and GMs know things that lay people do not. At least I f***ing hope they do. I merely pointed out that trying to prove you are right using a coach's actions is not very logical. Honestly, given how often coaches perform badly I don't even think it should be questioned. But here we are.

So once again you are arguing against a point that was never made. To quote someone (I forget who): "You do you."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad