Around The NHL Discussion 2021-22 Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
OEL can't keep up anyone in Vancouver's skating drills.

The last bag skate of the session, with multiple bag skates in the practice. Garland puked at the end of it.

It should be noted that Vancouver's best standout from the last few bag skates was Jay Beagle.

You may be reading a little too far into the fallout from the bag skate, without full context.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
The last bag skate of the session, with multiple bag skates in the practice. Garland puked at the end of it.

It should be noted that Vancouver's best standout from the last few bag skates was Jay Beagle.

You may be reading a little too far into the fallout from the bag skate, without full context.

playing rugby in college I puked after two ladders and then had to run two more
(ladder was end line to 22 meter and back, then endline to 50 meter and back, then to the opposite 22 meter and back and then to the opposite end line and back)
and I was in pretty good shape at the time
it happens sometimes, also depends on how hard the practice before hand was

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
playing rugby in college I puked after two ladders and then had to run two more
(ladder was end line to 22 meter and back, then endline to 50 meter and back, then to the opposite 22 meter and back and then to the opposite end line and back)
and I was in pretty good shape at the time
it happens sometimes, also depends on how hard the practice before hand was

I used to play soccer through high school doing similar drills. The coach loved them. I was one of the least skilled players on the team, but I was positionally sound as a mid field and could run for a 90 minute game with no sub, provided I ate a few orange slices during the 5 minute half-time break. I definitely puked my guts out during the first few practices running those drills every season...

I understand that the optics look bad for OEL. But, as I stated, without context all the reports are showing is the most sensational view. Headlines - OEL is slow and out of shape. Garland pukes during drills. Was that at the start of practice? Okay concerning. End of a 4th bag skate at the tail end of a practice session, where vets are going through the motions because they know they have a role on the team and can mail it in after the first 3, showing their conditioning is good?

I haven't seen anything giving me enough details to rag on any NHLers showing up out of shape to training camp yet... I seem to recall there was a prospect or fringe player that thought they were hot shit and showed up 20 pounds overweight a few years ago that got demoted to the minors when they were basically guaranteed a roster spot after a strong end of season performance (can't remember who)...

Reactions: Eldon Reid

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I used to play soccer through high school doing similar drills. The coach loved them. I was one of the least skilled players on the team, but I was positionally sound as a mid field and could run for a 90 minute game with no sub, provided I ate a few orange slices during the 5 minute half-time break. I definitely puked my guts out during the first few practices running those drills every season...

I understand that the optics look bad for OEL. But, as I stated, without context all the reports are showing is the most sensational view. Headlines - OEL is slow and out of shape. Garland pukes during drills. Was that at the start of practice? Okay concerning. End of a 4th bag skate at the tail end of a practice session, where vets are going through the motions because they know they have a role on the team and can mail it in after the first 3, showing their conditioning is good?

I haven't seen anything giving me enough details to rag on any NHLers showing up out of shape to training camp yet... I seem to recall there was a prospect or fringe player that thought they were hot shit and showed up 20 pounds overweight a few years ago that got demoted to the minors when they were basically guaranteed a roster spot after a strong end of season performance (can't remember who)...
Think you are referring to Jake Dotchin who Tampa cut for coming to camp way out of shape few years back. He was later on our minor league team in SA in 2019.

Reactions: Brockon

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Brown is not waiver exempt is he? How would folks feel about signing Neal to a 4th liner contract and exposing Brown (then losing him)? It may not be this precise scenario, but I think we may lose him to waivers. I just don’t see him making this team. Sitting around as a healthy scratch isn’t any good for anybody.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Brown is not waiver exempt is he? How would folks feel about signing Neal to a 4th liner contract and exposing Brown (then losing him)? It may not be this precise scenario, but I think we may lose him to waivers. I just don’t see him making this team. Sitting around as a healthy scratch isn’t any good for anybody.
He isn't waiver exempt. If he gets claimed (which he likely wouldn't) he could end up back here if claiming team later tries to send him down. Worst case really if we try to send him down is we get a 4th round pick.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Realize I didn't answer Neal question. If we have a role for him, I'm good with signing him to low $ contract. But don't think he is fit for our 4th line, so he needs to fit into top 9 or press box.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Would be a big mistake putting Brown on waivers. He might not amount to anything but he’s 23 years old, a former top 15 pick and has only been given 30 games of NHL experience. We’ve seen tons of prospects not do much in their first 30 games.

We need to see if a change of scenery will do him well and he breaks out in his hometown where he’s more comfortable.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
The 4th round pick Mayo be the better asset. If he’s sent down it’s likely to be early when every team is trimming roster. But I think he’d be very likely to be claimed by a team like Arizona, Buffalo or Seattle. There are teams that are not so worried about being good right now that could give him plenty of minutes. I sure hope he busts his ass to earn a spot.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
Would be a big mistake putting Brown on waivers. He might not amount to anything but he’s 23 years old, a former top 15 pick and has only been given 30 games of NHL experience. We’ve seen tons of prospects not do much in their first 30 games.

We need to see if a change of scenery will do him well and he breaks out in his hometown where he’s more comfortable.
Yes I agree that he needs to be on the active roster or we will risk losing him on waivers.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
Jumble the lines as necessary. I like this forward group
upload_2021-9-27_11-50-52.png

Reactions: Zezel’s Pretzels

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
This is what I expect the 23 man opening roster to be. Could also see them waive Clifford and keep Frolík until Sunny gets back.
Clifford is only 30 and likely wants to hang around a few more years. I don't see him being waived and sent to the AHL. More likely, if we feel we don't need him we would find an NHL team looking for a 4th line presence with Cup experience and add a late draft pick or B prospect for him.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Clifford is only 30 and likely wants to hang around a few more years. I don't see him being waived and sent to the AHL. More likely, if we feel we don't need him we would find an NHL team looking for a 4th line presence with Cup experience and add a late draft pick or B prospect for him.

How did I not realize he was only 30? Lol he’s been in the league forever it seems.

I didn’t think he was good in his role last year, to be honest. The only thing I was really impressed by was that he was faster than I realized. Maybe that changes with fans back and more energy in the building, but we’ll see. My reasoning for keeping Frolík and sending him down was solely based on Frolík’s ability to kill penalties, and as you obviously know, the PK needs to drastically improve from last year.

Reactions: MissouriMook

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
How did I not realize he was only 30? Lol he’s been in the league forever it seems.

I didn’t think he was good in his role last year, to be honest. The only thing I was really impressed by was that he was faster than I realized. Maybe that changes with fans back and more energy in the building, but we’ll see. My reasoning for keeping Frolík and sending him down was solely based on Frolík’s ability to kill penalties, and as you obviously know, the PK needs to drastically improve from last year.
I think Clifford entered the NHL at 18.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
i wouldn't give neal more than 750k. let's be respectful to bozak, shall we?

You were probably being tongue-in-cheek here, but just in case you weren't: Bozak is making more than $750k with bonuses. Neal is a year younger and not eligible for bonuses. What he signs for is what he gets. We should still keep the contract under a million. We have to if we don't want to waive Clifford, and even then $1M is the max. But we don't have to worry about Bozie getting upset if he signs for $800k.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
thought these were always a fun read when someone would put em together.

I'll add some comments in () ::

from the Sens HF board, 1st game with Sanford:

Stutzle, Ostapchuk and Sanford.

My eyes are on you. Let’s go!

Sanford is soft, MDZ is awful… great (they REALLY don't like MDZ either)

Sanford is about as unphysical as Logan Brown that's for sure.

I predict that Sanford is going to drive a lot of us nuts this
season with his lackadaisical play (he's not wrong)

He's like a worst Benoit Pouliot

Pouliout was an amazing skater tho. Sanford is average at best.

Have to see how much of it is rust but very meh so far

I was going to watch but decided instead to drink rum in my hot
tub for the past hour.
I stand by my decision now. (nothing to do with Sanford, just
thought it was funny)

Does Sanford require waivers?

When I read about Sanford they were complaining about his effort
and I must say tonight I'd agree

He looks exactly like Logan Brown honestly

without the skill (reply to the above)

not sure Sanford broke a sweat

Sanford was on the wrong side of a lot of puck battles

Trade a player with no compete for another player with no compete
lolz

Sanford was actually better than I expected; my expectations were
very low though. He skates well enough, can sort of do things with
the puck. Compete level is probably going to be an issue.

Paul was his usual self. Sanford was invisible

Sanford was as advertised, looks like another Tierney

I don't think he is better than Logan Brown. He was not physical
and cannot make the offensive plays Logan can. We gave up skill
for nothing

If he does, there is nothing to fear as he likely would not be
taken based on his performance in the game last evening (response
to the waiver question above lol )

Sanford was a disappointment. Hopefully he will show up the next
game

To be fair, this was a knock many Blues fans had on him. I don't
believe his lack of energy/motor is him not wanting to be in
Ottawa rather that the dude just has a low compete level in
general. (response to the above quote)

Not sure what he brings to this team yet. I've watched him 1
exhibition game no where to go but up from here.

So another typical Dorion trade for a vet that will eat up a spot
while we wait for something positive that will not arrive

Sanford doesn't want to be here, and played slow, lazy and with no energy

(me) prediction: Sens are in for a long season lol

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Lol yeah they learned quickly.

Sanford and Brown are very similar in a lot of ways.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I'm not sure how good a guy can look when he's playing with all new line mates in an unfamiliar system. I don't have any knowledge of Ottawa's system, but its easy to imagine Sanford thinking too much and trying to be in the right spots, rather than just letting loose and playing with intensity.

If Logan Brown is as good as Sanford, that's probably good news for the Blues. I don't really have that expectation. I'm kind of expecting a bust.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad