Around The NHL Discussion 2018-2019 - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Sharks live to fight another day. Good. Want every other team who advances to have to work for it. Flames win tomorrow and that will be every series in West going at least 6. Last time we made conference finals we ran out of gas. Don’t want to see rested teams waiting for us if we go deep this year.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Sharks live to fight another day. Good. Want every other team who advances to have to work for it. Flames win tomorrow and that will be every series in West going at least 6. Last time we made conference finals we ran out of gas. Don’t want to see rested teams waiting for us if we go deep this year.
Yeah this could very well be another season where the Central knocks the crap out of each other in the first two rounds and the Pacific team cleans up in the conference finals.

Reactions: ScratchCatFever

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Makar is legit. Thank God they only got the 4th pick this year. That will be bad enough. Colorado is going to be a PITA for a long time.

One injury in the pre-season or offseason can change things in a hurry.

Do you remember the first Blues to score 50 goals in a season? It was Wayne Babych. He got 54 in the 80-81 season at the age of 22 years, and was injured in the following preseason ( a fight), and he was never the same.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I was reading the Post series Columbus-Tampa thread. I identify with the Tampa posters who were called out by their fellow fans for questioning their team's size and heart going into the playoffs. It seems speed and finesse alone aren't a guarantee for post-season success.
Nothing is a guarantee for post-season success...absolutely nothing.

Not having the best player in the game. Not having the best coach. Not having the best regular season record. Not being the best at a particular style of hockey, or having the most size, or speed, or skill, or high-end talent, or depth, or grit, or whatever. Not spending the most money on payroll. Not even having the consensus best team. If anyone says anything is a guarantee of postseason success, they're simply wrong.

Any team can still win a short series against anyone else. Even in relatively lopsided match-ups, the underdog still wins the series around a third of the time. Think about what that means mathematically. A perpetual 70% favorite vs the field (which is a huge favorite in hockey) will only win four series in a row about a quarter of the time. They'll lose in the first round more often than they will win it all (30% vs 24%).

There's no magic recipe for success. A lot of things need to go right to win it all, and there's always some luck involved as well.

All that said, I think it's silly to ignore major evolutions to how the game is being played. The state of the game matters, and certain things are going to benefit teams more than others, generally speaking, as the league continually evolves. Emphasis added because I think it's just as silly to pretend that the game is so simplistic that only one or two things "matter" when it comes to winning. Anything that can possibly benefit you matters...it's a question of degrees (X currently gives one a slightly better edge than Y), not one of exclusion (if X then not Y).

Since it's a sport with a lot of competitive parity, accruing those slight competitive edges matters over the long haul, even if they guarantee you nothing in the short term.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Yzerman did a great job building Tampa but hometown heroes returning after the fact seldom work out. He has his work cut out for him in Detroit.
Very true. For every triumphant return of the hero story there are probably 10 stories of a tarnished legacy.

hullderko

Apr 21, 2015
Nashville / Dallas are getting too many days off. Make them play a back to back to catch up.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Flames exhibiting why no one around the league gave a f*** that they won the west.

Reactions: mk80

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Colorado look red hot again in Game 5. Calgary looking like an ECHL team against them.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Knew Calgary wouldn't do anything. Always laughed at people that had them as the top contender in the West.

Reactions: The Note

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Knew Calgary wouldn't do anything. Always laughed at people that had them as the top contender in the West.
I gave them a pity pass in my bracket. Deep down I knew they wouldn't do crap.

Boy Rantanen is going to cost ALOT

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Man, Gaudreau cant catch a break.
Also, Sam Bennett...JFC....just ruined. Looked like a promising top 6 guy turned into an ineffective grinder

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I gave them a pity pass in my bracket. Deep down I knew they wouldn't do crap.

Boy Rantanen is going to cost ALOT
I did have them beating Colorado but the Avs have been impressive.

I had Vegas pounding them in round 2.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I did have them beating Colorado but the Avs have been impressive.

I had Vegas pounding them in round 2.
I think I had the same. Pens and Lightening shit the bed, so I stopped caring lol.

It was funny how Calgary finished 1st, but no one talked about it. Oddly enough goaltending isnt a problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad