Around the NHL 2024-2025

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
It's trades like this one that make me appreciate having Army as GM. I don't understand what's so hard about telling a player "you have negative value right now and I'm not going to pay someone to get rid of you. If you want to go somewhere else, you're going to have to raise your value on the ice."

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
It's trades like this one that make me appreciate having Army as GM. I don't understand what's so hard about telling a player "you have negative value right now and I'm not going to pay someone to get rid of you. If you want to go somewhere else, you're going to have to raise your value on the ice."

Could they mutually agree to terminate his contract?

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Believe that’s what happened with Zadina in Detroit. Player forfeits any remaining salary owed and becomes a UFA. I assume the league would have to sign off on it and it may depend on player status or contract type tho.

Reactions: Xerloris

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I am big fan of Army, but I think this was fantastic deal for CBJ. Detroit paid a 2nd to dump Walman. We paid it for Hayes. Laine has huge $ and his game has slipped and he has spent the bulk of last season not playing. He has great talent and may well rebound, but Habs are betting $17mm that he does for only a 2nd. How many other teams would do that?

That is a helluva lot of money to walk away from. I've never been to Columbus, but it's supposed to be decent place and they have new coach so it could have been almost fresh start. He could afford to be patient while they worked on deal.

Reactions: stlwahoo

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
That is a helluva lot of money to walk away from. I've never been to Columbus, but it's supposed to be decent place and they have new coach so it could have been almost fresh start. He could afford to be patient while they worked on deal.
I'm sure Columbus is a perfectly fine place to live. It's a decent-sized city. Some people just don't know how to be happy. I feel for Laine. I really do. Just about everyone goes through dark periods. He'll be okay as long as he doesn't slip down the slick road of hard drugs and alcohol.

Reactions: Cotton McKnight

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I am big fan of Army, but I think this was fantastic deal for CBJ. Detroit paid a 2nd to dump Walman. We paid it for Hayes. Laine has huge $ and his game has slipped and he has spent the bulk of last season not playing. He has great talent and may well rebound, but Habs are betting $17mm that he does for only a 2nd. How many other teams would do that?

Columbus is a lot like STL. Smaller city. Some nice areas. Not a ton to do though, but not devoid of things. It’s a slower paced place.

If you are not an OSU fan it’s kind of annoying.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis

Ya but if he's so concerned about his mental health, sacrificing money to help yourself seems like a good choice. Unless you know, you're just full of shit and using mental health as an excuse to cover for the fact you're a drug addict or just a flat out whiny bitch.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
I'm sure Columbus is a perfectly fine place to live. It's a decent-sized city. Some people just don't know how to be happy. I feel for Laine. I really do. Just about everyone goes through dark periods. He'll be okay as long as he doesn't slip down the slick road of hard drugs and alcohol.
Columbus is a lot like STL. Smaller city. Some nice areas. Not a ton to do though, but not devoid of things. It’s a slower paced place.

If you are not an OSU fan it’s kind of annoying.
Been to Columbus a lot of times for regional boccia tournaments. Honestly, the last time made me so upset at their police. My friend's car had been broken into (nothing stolen; just a lot of damage - worse still, I had left early, and if I had gone earlier, I would've met the attempted carjackers, and who knew what would've happened then), and Columbus PD basically told us, "We're only investigating violent crimes" and "You'll have to look at the footage from the venue."

Never mind that we're literal civilians who had a car broken into, never mind that we're not allowed to look at the restaurant's outside camera footage like police can, never mind that an attempted carjacking is, in fact, a violent crime, never mind that the area is visited by a lot of people from out of town.

So, just a fair warning if anyone wants to visit Columbus: their police are "only investigating violent crimes".

...Do I sound bitter and salty? I hope I do.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
The compensation for someone like Harley is a 1st and a 3rd, not a 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

Presumably the offer would be somewhere between $4,580,917 - $6,871,374.

So, that makes the situation even more attractive to OS Harley.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
The compensation for someone like Harley is a 1st and a 3rd, not a 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

Except that you might have to top 7 to force Dallas not to match.
I don't think they'd have any issue sending Brendan Smith to the minors and that would put them at 7.2 mil in cap space.
I would think they would match anything below that number.

Granted; Harley might be worth it after the year he just had.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014

Dallas would easily match anything in that range. They currently have $6.2M in space and Dadonov is very much movable in a pinch. Moving him would allow them to match $6.87M and then bring in two league minimum guys for the 21st and 22nd roster spots.

An offer sheet in that range would not land you the player.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Dallas would easily match anything in that range. They currently have $6.2M in space and Dadonov is very much movable in a pinch. Moving him would allow them to match $6.87M and then bring in two league minimum guys for the 21st and 22nd roster spots.

An offer sheet in that range would not land you the player.
I posted that to clarify that it would NOT take TWO 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd, as you claimed.

You've been wrong about most of this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad