Around the NHL 2024-2025

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
My reputation may suffer shipwreck by this question, but what is dead cap space?
They have 11.8 million against the Salary Cap this season in combined contract buyouts or retained salary from trades. Ryan Johansen (4M) and Matt Duchenne make up the largest chunk of it. Its money that could have been spent on players on the active roster but isn’t.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
You know, I had a thought last night regarding the Askarov trade. Nashville rightly has a reputation as being a goalie factory. I’m starting to think they may have have seen something in his development that they deemed a red flag. He’s four years post draft:. This should have been the year he ended up with a full time NHL gig, and they went and signed Scott Wedgewood instead.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
You know, I had a thought last night regarding the Askarov trade. Nashville rightly has a reputation as being a goalie factory. I’m starting to think they may have have seen something in his development that they deemed a red flag. He’s four years post draft:. This should have been the year he ended up with a full time NHL gig, and they went and signed Scott Wedgewood instead.
I’ve always been suspect on him. Seems to have great talent but something a bit off. I could be wrong, but risk/reward calculus scares me. I’m glad we learned from Schwarz and haven’t drafted 1st round goalie in years.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrokenFace

mk80

Jul 30, 2012

I’ve always been suspect in him. Seems to have great talent but something a bit off. I could be wrong, but risk/reward calculus scares me. I’m glad we learned from Schwarz and haven’t drafted 1st round goalie in years.
Nashville definitely had their reasons.

• Wow
Reactions: ChicagoBlues

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
I’ve always been suspect in him. Seems to have great talent but something a bit off. I could be wrong, but risk/reward calculus scares me. I’m glad we learned from Schwarz and haven’t drafted 1st round goalie in years.
Man, I can probably rattle off 40 Blues goalies in 5 minutes but that name is one that had slipped my mind. I remember being so psyched to grab a stud keeper in the first round.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada

I mean, Saros is under contract for 5m this year and then 7.74m for the following 8 years - that pretty much blocks Askarov from sniffing 1B starts for the next ~5/6 years until Saros is 35.

Thats too long for Askarov to wait until he's 29 to really have a chance to earn retirement money. I understand asking for a trade, just to have a better chance to prove himself in the next 3 years (last year of ELC, then the 2x2 bridge deal he signed yesterday).

Ignoring potential red flags, there was no real way to establish himself as an NHL caliber goalie for the next handful of years, so his chances of getting a contract for 5x3 or anything like that before he was 30 in Nashville were pretty slim - so his opportunity to become set for life financially just didn't exist after Saros was extended.

Reactions: mk80

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Askarov seems like a nastier Binny. Maybe slightly unhinged, but coachable and maturationable (that's a word).

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
Binnington kept his head on straight this season and it showed up in the box scores. Seems like getting married and having a kid chilled him out a bit. When he's focused he's a hell of a goaltender.

There have been a lot of "unhinged" goalies over the years that had a ton of success: Patrick Roy, Ed Belfour, Billy Smith, etc. As long as Askarov can stop the puck and stay out of the back of a police cruiser, he'll be fine.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Crazy Nashville has that roster and now 3 first round picks next summer, and a solid prospect pool still
On top of the fact that they have three 1st rounders, the two 'extra' 1sts they have are really intriguing.

The 'extra' 1sts are from Tampa and Vegas. Both have really strong cores, but aren't quite the caliber team that they once were. I could see both of them plausibly regressing and/or having a season derailed by 1-2 key injuries. The Tampa pick is top 10 protected and would become a 2026 if they implode. However, the Vegas pick has lesser protection. If that becomes a top 10 pick, it doesn't push to a pick in 2027. The Sharks would simply choose whether to give Nashville their own pick or the Vegas pick.

Nashville won't get the 1st overall from either of these, but it's not implausible that these acquired picks land in the top 15. It's not like they have three 1sts, but they are nearly a lock to all be in the mid 20s or later.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
If the RyJo contract termination isn't stopped by the grievance, then Nasvhille will gain another 4M in cap.

EDIT: After reading more about the situation, it seems unlikely that the contract will be terminated, if the details speculated are correct.

Last edited:

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
I find it odd Nashville seems to keep leaking little details out on Askarov, and Trotz went so far to say it impacted the return. Seems they did alright on the deal. Depending on your perspective, you can see Trotz as being a simple straight shooter with this communications strategy, or a little thin-skinned.

As a Blues fan in the Nashville area, I have strong bias to the latter, but have to admit their org is in a good spot. Having both a good roster, even if aging, along with a nice pool of picks and prospects is a luxury. You can squint into the future and see a vision where it gives them a soft landing, or even a long runway.

If I am them, I stop talking about the deal anymore. It kinda just made sense on the surface with the commitment to Saros, and goalies are unpredictable as hell whether established or not. So, you picked your lane, the kid didn’t like that and you moved him. Seemed to get proper return. No matter what you have your minions report, it will land fine if Saros is good and will land poorly if he isn’t, and the kid develops into his potential.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
Suppose it would be good to share what spurred that last comment. It was this piece, which is fine, but seems like they are really hurt the guy thought it over and decided he didn’t think he was best off in their organization, when he probably wasn’t given the commitments they made to 2 other goalies.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Binnington kept his head on straight this season and it showed up in the box scores. Seems like getting married and having a kid chilled him out a bit. When he's focused he's a hell of a goaltender.

There have been a lot of "unhinged" goalies over the years that had a ton of success: Patrick Roy, Ed Belfour, Billy Smith, etc. As long as Askarov can stop the puck and stay out of the back of a police cruiser, he'll be fine.
Unfortunately for him he just got traded from the town that he could turn a situation like that into a hit song :nopity:

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I find it odd Nashville seems to keep leaking little details out on Askarov, and Trotz went so far to say it impacted the return. Seems they did alright on the deal. Depending on your perspective, you can see Trotz as being a simple straight shooter with this communications strategy, or a little thin-skinned.

As a Blues fan in the Nashville area, I have strong bias to the latter, but have to admit their org is in a good spot. Having both a good roster, even if aging, along with a nice pool of picks and prospects is a luxury. You can squint into the future and see a vision where it gives them a soft landing, or even a long runway.

If I am them, I stop talking about the deal anymore. It kinda just made sense on the surface with the commitment to Saros, and goalies are unpredictable as hell whether established or not. So, you picked your lane, the kid didn’t like that and you moved him. Seemed to get proper return. No matter what you have your minions report, it will land fine if Saros is good and will land poorly if he isn’t, and the kid develops into his potential.
When GMs are trading 'distressed goods' I'm almost always surprised that the returns are usually close to market value. I'm not completely clear on the reason for this, but I think GMs have a code of conduct not to devalue players in that type of situation. Of maybe we just exaggerate how those issues affect trade value.

Reactions: Fez Whatley

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
When GMs are trading 'distressed goods' I'm almost always surprised that the returns are usually close to market value. I'm not completely clear on the reason for this, but I think GMs have a code of conduct not to devalue players in that type of situation. Of maybe we just exaggerate how those issues affect trade value.
Probably not the best quote when talking about people, but “One person’s trash is another persons treasure”.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
If the RyJo contract termination isn't stopped by the grievance, then Nasvhille will gain another 4M in cap.

EDIT: After reading more about the situation, it seems unlikely that the contract will be terminated, if the details speculated are correct.
I haven't been following. What's the word on the street about this?

I frankly am still shocked they got the return they did. They essentially got two first round picks for a goalie with like 3 NHL games to his name. That's insanity.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad