Around the NHL 2024-2025

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Looks like Pittsburgh just traded Brayden Yager for Rutger McGroarty.

Good deal for both. Winnipeg was never going to get pennies on the dollar for a guy who was very highly thought of around the league, so they do well to get a recent 1st. And Pittsburgh gets the better prospect and comes out really well for having VERY limited assets. I'd rather Winnipeg got the short end of the stick, but I don't think it was a realistic possibility.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I posted that to clarify that it would NOT take TWO 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd, as you claimed.

You've been wrong about most of this.
And you seem to not know that there is a tier between 1st+3rd and two 1sts+2nd+3rd. Which is odd, because that is the main tier that has been discussed (1st+2nd+3rd).

Dallas can (and would) match a $6.8M AAV (the top of the 1st + 3rd tier). They would move Dadanov, match the offer sheet, and have $1.7M in space for players #21 and #22 on the roster. There is absolutely zero reason to believe that you would actually land Harley with an offer sheet in the 1st + 3rd tier of compensation. Going into the next tier is the bare minimum offer to give yourself any chance that Dallas doesn't find a way to match. And it is far from a guarantee that Dallas wouldn't find a way to match inside that tier.

What exactly has happened to prove me wrong about Dallas though?

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
And you seem to not know that there is a tier between 1st+3rd and two 1sts+2nd+3rd. Which is odd, because that is the main tier that has been discussed (1st+2nd+3rd).

Dallas can (and would) match a $6.8M AAV (the top of the 1st + 3rd tier). They would move Dadanov, match the offer sheet, and have $1.7M in space for players #21 and #22 on the roster. There is absolutely zero reason to believe that you would actually land Harley with an offer sheet in the 1st + 3rd tier of compensation. Going into the next tier is the bare minimum offer to give yourself any chance that Dallas doesn't find a way to match. And it is far from a guarantee that Dallas wouldn't find a way to match inside that tier.

What exactly has happened to prove me wrong about Dallas though?
While you are likely right, this all feels like academic exercise. While Dubas was kind enough to deal us back our 2nd at a reasonable price to OS Oil, it seems pretty unlikely that Oil would want to help us out by dealing back our 3rd (and 2nd if we went to higher tier) so we could OS again.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Glad McGruntled is out the WC.

--

Regarding the above......all thought exercises.....nothing more. I enjoy them whether I'm right or wrong.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
While you are likely right, this all feels like academic exercise. While Dubas was kind enough to deal us back our 2nd at a reasonable price to OS Oil, it seems pretty unlikely that Oil would want to help us out by dealing back our 3rd (and 2nd if we went to higher tier) so we could OS again.
Oh yeah, it definitely wouldn't be the Blues sending an offer sheet for him. It would have to be another team

Glad McGruntled is out the WC.
I'm happy Winnipeg got a nice prospect for him. I'm happy that we didn't offer a prospect that could have beaten that offer. And I'm also happy that the Pens swapped a not-ready prospect for a guy that they will (presumably) get into the NHL right away. Not a bad piece of business.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
I'm happy Winnipeg got a nice prospect for him. I'm happy that we didn't offer a prospect that could have beaten that offer. And I'm also happy that the Pens swapped a not-ready prospect for a guy that they will (presumably) get into the NHL right away. Not a bad piece of business.
Not bad at all. Glad to have a talented guy out of the Conference, although I'm not sure what the long-term attraction is to Pittsburgh. They kinda old. McGroarty doesn't seem to have LT vision with his I-want-what-I-want-right-now attitude.

On the other hand, living in the now is often best. Another now moment, and possible attraction to Pittsburgh, is that he gets to play with Crosby and Malkin, even if they're both old with a soon-arriving expiration date. It's a great opportunity for McGroarty to learn from two of the best.

The Penguins' prospect pool is low-ranked, but maybe Rutger can be part of a new core. I think he will take what he wants from Pittsburgh and then bolt.

EDIT: Yager is a Sasky boy, so that helps the Jets. Yes, I know Winnipeg is in Manitoba.

Last edited:

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
It's looking like Edmonton will bring back Tyson Barrie on a PTO. Good for them. Justin Schultz is another PTO candidate.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
WPG did well here given the position they were in but PIT still won the trade IMO. Both are good prospects but I like McGroarty slightly more.

On one hand Winnipeg's hand were tied because everyone knew Rutger wanted out, but I have no doubt there were plenty of bidders to compete against each other and drive the price up. Seems like a solid trade.

Reactions: STL fan in MN

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Everyone praising SJ here but Askarov better be as good as everyone says he is or this is going to look stupid bad.

Good trade for both teams though. Edstrom is underrated IMO. But with Celebrini and Smith, this is likely good for Edstrom’s career.

STLegend

Blanketing opinions that I'll probably regret soon
Feb 20, 2010
Montanuh
Yea I like this better for Nashville, if Askarov doesn't turn into a #1 then this is ugly for SJ.

Kinda hate how well Trotz has been doing in Nashville.

• Haha
Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Everyone praising SJ here but Askarov better be as good as everyone says he is or this is going to look stupid bad.

Good trade for both teams though. Edstrom is underrated IMO. But with Celebrini and Smith, this is likely good for Edstrom’s career.
Was thinking the same!!! I like Mike Grier, but he better know what he's doing. I trust that he does. It's a lot to give up for an unproven goalie, but Nashville is somewhat known for goaltender drafting and development.

I believe in Nashville goaltending and I believe in Mike Grier. He is single-handedly making me a Sharks fan. What's happening there has a truly organic feel.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Yea I like this better for Nashville, if Askarov doesn't turn into a #1 then this is ugly for SJ.

Kinda hate how well Trotz has been doing in Nashville.
I've been a fan of the Predators for a while now, but what they've been able to do in the last 2-3 offseasons is nothing short of amazing. They are doing what the Blues are doing but way better.

This is super duper risky for Grier and it could be bad. I think it will be just fine and then some.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad