Around the NHL 2024-2025

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
I wouldn't trade much for him and I would require at least 30% retention and that only depends if he has 2 years or less left on his contract. Otherwise to rich for my blood.
I agree. I am not one of those fans who will take talent just because they're talented. It seems that he has difficulty compartmentalizing, which can be a difficult thing to do for anyone of any age.

However, Laine's price tag is too high for someone who lashed out at a podcast (that's not even a podcast) for ripping on him. I can imagine that way too many players are way too concerned with what others say about them online. He is way too much in his head and I don't want him. I don't like players who complain about where they play and try to force trades.

Someone like Patrik Laine will never be happy playing anywhere because his problems are always everyone else's fault.

I hope he gets his mental health squared away, but the entitlement thing is assuredly part and parcel to a healthy mental state.

I don't want McGroarty either. Show some loyalty, you ungrateful bitch.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
I agree. I am not one of those fans who will take talent just because they're talented. It seems that he has difficulty compartmentalizing, which can be a difficult thing to do for anyone of any age.

However, Laine's price tag is too high for someone who lashed out at a podcast (that's not even a podcast) for ripping on him. I can imagine that way too many players are way too concerned with what others say about them online. He is way too much in his head and I don't want him. I don't like players who complain about where they play and try to force trades.

Someone like Patrik Laine will never be happy playing anywhere because his problems are always everyone else's fault.

I hope he gets his mental health squared away, but the entitlement thing is assuredly part and parcel to a healthy mental state.

For sure, I can't imagine making 8.7 mill a year in the NHL and complaining about where I play. Not once but now twice. Dare I say this is a PLD like?

Reactions: ChicagoBlues

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri

That podcast made a blatant suicide joke at his expense. I don't blame Laine one bit for lashing out at them, given his struggles with mental health. Now granted, they apologized after people pointed it out, and hopefully they learn from it. I don't want Laine myself, but it's a lot more complicated than just merely "lashing out at a podcast for ripping on him"; they crossed a major line and deserved to be ripped for it.

As for McGroarty, the only way we're getting him is if he plays out his entire college career, refuses to sign with Winnipeg, and then decides to sign with us. I'd kill to get him (much like everyone here would've killed to have gotten Adam Fox who refused to sign with anyone but the Rangers and two teams - Calgary and Carolina - got burnt because of it), but when I went on the Jets' board to ask, they basically said that it would take Dvorsky or Jiricek - and I don't blame them for asking for that price; McGroarty's their best prospect by far, and they'd be trading him within the division.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
That podcast made a blatant suicide joke at his expense. I don't blame Laine one bit for lashing out at them, given his struggles with mental health. Now granted, they apologized after people pointed it out, and hopefully they learn from it. I don't want Laine myself, but it's a lot more complicated than just merely "lashing out at a podcast for ripping on him"; they crossed a major line and deserved to be ripped for it.

As for McGroarty, the only way we're getting him is if he plays out his entire college career, refuses to sign with Winnipeg, and then decides to sign with us. I'd kill to get him (much like everyone here would've killed to have gotten Adam Fox who refused to sign with anyone but the Rangers and two teams - Calgary and Carolina - got burnt because of it), but when I went on the Jets' board to ask, they basically said that it would take Dvorsky or Jiricek - and I don't blame them for asking for that price; McGroarty's their best prospect by far, and they'd be trading him within the division.
You're missing the point.

He should not be paying any attention to that AT ALL!!!!!!

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis

The dude can't take a joke so maybe he shouldn't be on social media. Anyone else you plan to be offended on behalf of this season?

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
In a vacuum maybe Laine could fill a role on the Blues this season or the next 2, but he doesn’t match the age of the rising core, has baggage, and would cost too much to acquire. He makes more sense for someone else.

Reactions: MissouriMook

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
You're missing the point.

He should not be paying any attention to that AT ALL!!!!!!

You're expecting these young players to not pay attention to a team podcast saying that they're not playing because they're doing a - and I quote - "Remington Retirement"? Especially when said young players are already in a fragile state of mind because of a mental health crisis?

Laine noticing and being pissed off is a very human and very realistic reaction. We may say that athletes should not be paying attention to those things, but they're also human beings, first and foremost, and the majority are young adults who do pay attention to social media.

The dude can't take a joke so maybe he shouldn't be on social media. Anyone else you plan to be offended on behalf of this season?

Again, team podcast and it was a poor attempt at a joke. And I'll gladly "plan to be offended" on as many things as I f***ing well please, and you will just have to f***ing deal with it.

Reactions: CaliforniaBlues310

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
You're expecting these young players to not pay attention to a team podcast saying that they're not playing because they're doing a - and I quote - "Remington Retirement"? Especially when said young players are already in a fragile state of mind because of a mental health crisis?

Laine noticing and being pissed off is a very human and very realistic reaction. We may say that athletes should not be paying attention to those things, but they're also human beings, first and foremost, and the majority are young adults who do pay attention to social media.
Then they need to deal with it. This will not be the last time some poddouche offends an athlete.

Lots of people in this world haven't a clue about entitlement, expectations, justice and fairness. If something goes awry, then it's usually externally attributed instead of controlling their emotions and being confident in themselves.

I'm guessing that Laine does not have a very good support system.

Patrik Laine is not entitled to have anyone censor themselves just so he feels better.
He should not expect anyone to manage his emotions.
There is no such thing as justice and fairness. They do not exist.

Bullshit concepts like entitlement, expectations, fairness and justice will serve only to keep someone locked into a negative karma cycle.

Reactions: Xerloris

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Kings are another shit show. Luc and Rob are f***ing idiots.

Y’all should read the Fire Rob Blake thread.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

I dunno, I'm all for free speech but making a suicide "joke" about a guy with known mental health issues is pretty low. They deserve all the backlash they get. Bunch of no name podcast losers trying to get clicks I guess.

I've always liked Laine as a player and his quirky personality as well. Hope he can bounce back, preferably on an eastern conference team to limit his destruction of the Blues like he has done before.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
I dunno, I'm all for free speech but making a suicide "joke" about a guy with known mental health issues is pretty low. They deserve all the backlash they get. Bunch of no name podcast losers trying to get clicks I guess.

I've always liked Laine as a player and his quirky personality as well. Hope he can bounce back, preferably on an eastern conference team to limit his destruction of the Blues like he has done before.

I agree, it was in poor taste and I personally would never do such a thing or make a joke about anyone that has died or is sick but if you know you're emotional and not able to take a joke and you're in the public eye, you maybe shouldn't check out social media.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I agree, it was in poor taste and I personally would never do such a thing or make a joke about anyone that has died or is sick but if you know you're emotional and not able to take a joke and you're in the public eye, you maybe shouldn't check out social media.

Absolutely. I'm sure it's easier said than done, but that's a skill that public figures should develop.

• Love
Reactions: ChicagoBlues

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Do the Kings have any RFA's they're dicking around? lol

This post from HockeyScotty in one of the main board threads answers your question best.
I don't think there is any other situation out there that creates a good environment for a successful offer sheet with two exceptions:

Arthur Khaliyev with LA Kings. If any team wants him, why bother trading an asset, just offer up to $1,511,701 on a 1 year deal. He already wants out of LA. They only have $1,321,666 in cap space (I'm sure they could make another $775k available by putting someone in Ontario but I don't think they want to pay him that much in any case.

There would be no draft pick compensation either; it's a "free asset" for someone willing to take a chance on him.
I don’t expect to us offer sheet Khaliyev though since we have an abundance of wingers already with Holloway possibly adding to the mix, plus Bolduc and Snuggerud in the prospect pool. If we were going to acquire him at all I’d see it happening through a trade but again it’s not like we have a need. If he was a 23 year old defenseman with top 4 potential though then that could be a game changer for us.

Edit: Puckpedia also has at 51/50 contracts currently.

Last edited:

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
This post from HockeyScotty in one of the main board threads answers your question best.

I don’t expect to us offer sheet Khaliyev though since we have an abundance of wingers already with Holloway possibly adding to the mix, plus Bolduc and Snuggerud in the prospect pool. If we were going to acquire him at all I’d see it happening through a trade but again it’s not like we have a need. If he was a 23 year old defenseman with top 4 potential though then that could be a game changer for us.

Contracts will normalize to about 47 or 48 when our Overseas and junior players report to their teams.

Reactions: mk80

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
I saw the 51/50 thing. I think that is because Blais and Scandella are still included. Once they drop off (whenever that happens), the Blues will be at 49/50.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Of the defensemen listed below who were picked in the top ten, who is/was a "true" #1 or #2?

Drew Doughty
Zach Bogosian
Alex Pietrangelo
Luke Schenn

Victor Hedman
Oliver Ekman-Larsson
Jared Cowen

Erik Gudbranson
Dylan McIlrath

Adam Larsson
Dougie Hamilton
Jonas Brodin

Ryan Murray
Griffin Reinhart
Morgan Rielly
Hampus Lindholm
Matt Dumba
Derrick Pouliot
Jacob Trouba
Slater Koekkoek

Seth Jones
Darnell Nurse
Rasmus Ristolainen

Aaron Ekblad
Haydn Fleury

Noah Hanifin
Ivan Provorov
Zach Werenski

Olli Juolevi
Mikhail Sergachev

Miro Heiskanen
Cale Makar

Rasmus Dahlin
Quinn Hughes
Adam Boqvist
Even Bouchard

Bowen Byram
Moritz Seider
Philip Broberg

Jake Sanderson
Jamie Drysdale

Owen Power
Luke Hughes
Simon Edvinsson
Brandt Clarke

EDIT:

Pouring over this list, it is fairly easy to see that losing some draft picks to sign Harley to an OS is a good move. It's really not that risky. The risk lies in the drafted players who may never pan out. In fact, it's a 50-50 coin flip that any D-man drafted top-ten will become a true and solid #1 or #2. It is 100% guaranteed that Harley is and will continue to be an excellent #2 at the very least, if not a #1. AND he turns 23 in two days.
Of the 45 defensemen listed above, maybe 10 are/were legit #1s and 14 are legit #2s.

That is a 50-50 coin flip. And lottery picks in the wrong hands always turn out in a bad way.

Harley is 100%.

But people love their shiny new toys, so draft and hope.

I stand by my assertion that spending the draft capital to take on Harley via OS is worth it.

Linkens Mastery

Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Overseas players count toward the 50 don't they? I thought the only exception was 19 and younger players who go back to juniors.
Per PuckPedia

An NHL Team can have a maximum of 50 players signed to Standard Player Contracts (SPC's). Some players are excluded from the 50 player limit, such as:

-Players who have contracts that "Slide", which are 18-19 year old players with less than 10 NHL Games Played in a Season

-Players in Europe

Reactions: Snubbed4Vezina

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I saw the 51/50 thing. I think that is because Blais and Scandella are still included. Once they drop off (whenever that happens), the Blues will be at 49/50.
Maybe it’s just housekeeping that Puckpedia has to do, but shouldn’t they be off our page already? They were UFA’s as soon as July first and we don’t have them under contract.

Although possibly I’m seeing things wrong while working all this off my phone today.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Maybe it’s just housekeeping that Puckpedia has to do, but shouldn’t they be off our page already? They were UFA’s as soon as July first and we don’t have them under contract.

Although possibly I’m seeing things wrong while working all this off my phone today.
Both still there. I'm sure PP is overwhelmed right now.

Linkens Mastery

Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule

For Euro players they usually get updated when the players report to their teams.

For the Junior players it doesnt happen until the Blues themselves send the players to their Junior team in case one of them make the NHL out of camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad