Around the NHL 2024-2025

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Yea its a gamble and big commitment but Faber seems like the real deal to me so if I was a Wild fan I would be ok with it. I think the odds are better that it turns out to be a steal rather than an albatross, so they should be fine.

Reactions: MissouriMook

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I think Faber showed me enough last year that I'd be happy to take on that gamble if I were in their shoes.

Is he going to be worth the AAV every year of the deal? Probably not. Could last year be a one off and he settles in at a bit less than what he showed? Potentially. Will he hit some bumps in development and have stretches worse than his rookie year? Likely.

But he was good enough last year that I think the good is very likely to heavily outweigh the bumps and even the 'down' stretches will still see him playing some damn good hockey. The 'losses' on this gamble are probably limited to him being slightly overpaid over the life of the deal. However, the 'wins' on this contract could see him being underpaid by $10-20M over the life of this deal. I think that outweighs the risk.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Ridiculously good. I'm jealous of both Minnesotta and a montreal having top pair, potential #1D locked up long term. But that cap hit for Guhle is so good for Montreal.
Absolutely, I do think Montreal is going to get a lot more bang for the buck. But, as long as both players play to at least the level they played at last year both are going to age like wine.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Mike Grier is doing a fantastic job in SJ.
I don't like the returns he got in trades that ate up all his retention spots, but I have a feeling that he was handcuffed by the amount his owner was willing to retain to maximize value. There are definitely some individual moves that I have been fairly harsh on him for. And I will very much criticize him for taking Goodrow on waivers.

But his vision and work as a whole has really impressed me. He has accumulated a good chunk of assets while icing a roster bad enough to ensure elite skill in back-to-back drafts. And now that those two elite prospects are arriving in the NHL, he has brought in some decent talent to surround them. I'm not expecting them to be good this year, but this should be a watchable transition season and there is a lot to be excited about in the future for them. Without the ability to retain, I don't see them getting a 1st for anyone at the deadline, but there is enough pending UFA talent that they can probably snag a couple picks in the 2nd/3rd rounds if/when they sell.

Reactions: Celtic Note

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
I don't like the returns he got in trades that ate up all his retention spots, but I have a feeling that he was handcuffed by the amount his owner was willing to retain to maximize value. There are definitely some individual moves that I have been fairly harsh on him for. And I will very much criticize him for taking Goodrow on waivers.

But his vision and work as a whole has really impressed me. He has accumulated a good chunk of assets while icing a roster bad enough to ensure elite skill in back-to-back drafts. And now that those two elite prospects are arriving in the NHL, he has brought in some decent talent to surround them. I'm not expecting them to be good this year, but this should be a watchable transition season and there is a lot to be excited about in the future for them. Without the ability to retain, I don't see them getting a 1st for anyone at the deadline, but there is enough pending UFA talent that they can probably snag a couple picks in the 2nd/3rd rounds if/when they sell.
The returns were certainly less than desirable and to use all three retention slots so soon was a little alarming, but each retention rate is very low. Job well done.

Grier pissed off some fans by ridding the club of a few anchors. Somewhat painful, but had to be done. I commented over on HFSharks how impressed I am by Grier. Their bottom-six is looking good and should translate into far fewer goals allowed, given adequate goaltending.

In a couple of seasons, Mike Grier will be in consideration for GM of the Year if he keeps this up and they start winning. But he's doing the right thing, imo, by focusing on team defense.

He is making me a fan of the Sharks. Grier is a smart man.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Whither Marek? Athletic article today was.. interesting.
I wasn't able to read the entire article, but I got the gist of what he was doing in relaying inside information at the draft on selected players moments before it was publicly available. Did the story ever get into what might have been done with the information? If it was being funneled to people who were using it to defraud gaming companies, he's in a world of hurt. If it was just used by others to develop "fake cred" by breaking information, then "meh". Was there anything else he was being accused of?

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
I wasn't able to read the entire article, but I got the gist of what he was doing in relaying inside information at the draft on selected players moments before it was publicly available. Did the story ever get into what might have been done with the information? If it was being funneled to people who were using it to defraud gaming companies, he's in a world of hurt. If it was just used by others to develop "fake cred" by breaking information, then "meh". Was there anything else he was being accused of?
There were no financial repercussions. He was basically helping a buddy of his look good on social media, and Sportsnet took exception.

Reactions: MissouriMook

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Why am I not surprised that a league as morally-bankrupt as the KHL would allow one of the most morally-bankrupt players to play in the NHL in recent years to join them?
He be very excite in K-stan, where there is not an extradition treaty with Canada.

hmmmmmm........

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Why am I not surprised that a league as morally-bankrupt as the KHL would allow one of the most morally-bankrupt players to play in the NHL in recent years to join them?

I don't off hand know what Mcleod did but I assume it has something to do with team Canada and the WJC.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
I don't off hand know what Mcleod did but I assume it has something to do with team Canada and the WJC.

As a reminder, he's the asshole who led the brutal gang-rape of a young girl and coerced her to say on video that she wasn't drunk (when she was in tears, no less).

Absolute scumbag, and as a woman with two younger sisters, I couldn't give less of a damn if someone buried him in prison. The fact that he's getting a second chance in the KHL proves that the league is as morally bankrupt as he is.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Apparently he’s not the only one. Dillion Dubé also signed in the KHL.

Former NHLer charged in sexual assault case, Michael McLeod, signs to play in KHL – Sportsnet.ca

I’m no expert in Canadian law but I guess my assumption would be that if you did that in this country, turning in your passport would be part of any bail process? Idk. Seems odd they’re being allowed to leave the country. The article says the accused are set to return to court in August which is…like now. 🤷‍♂️

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Apparently he’s not the only one. Dillion Dubé also signed in the KHL.

Former NHLer charged in sexual assault case, Michael McLeod, signs to play in KHL – Sportsnet.ca

I’m no expert in Canadian law but I guess my assumption would be that if you did that in this country, turning in your passport would be part of any bail process? Idk. Seems odd they’re being allowed to leave the country. The article says the accused are set to return to court in August which is…like now. 🤷‍♂️
Yea certainly don't know Canadian law either but I would have to assume it is similar to here that when you are out on bail you are not allowed to leave the country. Also have to imagine it would be close to impossible to get a work visa, but again not an expert how all that stuff works.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
I’m shocked that leaving the country without the approval of the court isn’t already prohibited.
I'm not shocked at all and neither should anyone else be shocked.

Dube signed with Dinamo Minsk in Belarus, where there is, again, no extradition treaty with Canada.

In fact, none of the four countries with KHL teams (Russia, Belarus, Kazakhstan and China) have an extradition treaty with Canada.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
I'm not shocked at all and neither should anyone else be shocked.

Dube signed with Dinamo Minsk in Belarus, where there is, again, no extradition treaty with Canada.

In fact, none of the four countries with KHL teams (Russia, Belarus, Kazakhstan and China) have an extradition treaty with Canada.
Slightly OT, but how am I just now learning there is a KHL team in China?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00