Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign defenceman Jani Hakanpää (1 year, $1.47M) (official)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Then I assume if they keep Lilly, it will be Reaves and Timmins down. Easiest moves to make without having to make a move.

Someone did report though that they are trying to make a trade. I forget who it was.
Timmins I agree, but I have a tough time seeing them demote Reaves.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
All in all, if Hakanpaa is healthy and the Leafs can do enough cap-finagling to keep him and Rielly, Tanev, McCabe, OEL, Liljegren, and Benoit on the roster that's a nice defence with a diverse set of tools. Good puck movers, defensive acumen, and mean sons of bitches that our opponents will have to contend with.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
At 1 year, I can do this. 2 years would be tough with a potentially critical injury. Good D core that has a little bit of everything.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Should be an interesting week before camp, somethings got to give.

I don't think it does have to give. I think you work too hard to get cap and roster compliant now and you pay for it with a lack of depth later.

Let's see how camp plays out. Any one of Jarnkrok, Kampf or Hakanpaa on IR solves this for now, until the next injuries hit. Reaves is totally waiver fodder. No one will take him. Timmins maybe too. I do worry about losing Murray on waivers.

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
Go cheer for Calgary bud. You seem heavily invested in whats going on over there.

Who tf cares about Calgary? Completely different situations but you'd actually have to watch hockey to understand that.
He's a Dubas fan boy that can't cope with the fact that the clown isn't here anymore. He has never given Treliving a chance and all he does is bash everything he has done, its amazing how loyal he is to Dubas. Must be due to all the success that Dubas achieved with the Leafs.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
He's the #7, Hakanpaa lets everyone play their natural side so the fit is better for him to be the #6
Anyone slotting Benoit in at 7 didn’t watch the Leafs last year. All I’ve heard coming out of Leafs circles is they are expecting he has another level to get to.

As for the signing, means the doctors like his progress, if he still has knees, he’s a STEAL.

Reactions: Nineteen67

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Timmins isn’t even in the conversation.

You risk trading Lil, Hak guy isn’t exactly a sure thing health wise. I suspect we keep him, but for me he isn’t a playoff D man, he’s plateaued for two years and we now have a backup PP D too.

Reactions: Sypher04

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
If they need to move someone out the likely guy would be Timmins but its likely that Hakanpaa is not ready to go to start the season. Its also a very good chance that Timmins doesn't make it through camp and pre-season without being injured.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Timmins isn’t even in the conversation.

You risk trading Lil, Hak guy isn’t exactly a sure thing health wise. I suspect we keep him, but for me he isn’t a playoff D man, he’s plateaued for two years and we now have a backup PP D too.

Don’t fully agree on Liljegren. I think as much as anyone he could benefit from a new voice behind the bench. He’s been with Keefe a long time. I do agree though, Timmins isn’t at all part of the conversation

If they need to move someone out the likely guy would be Timmins but its likely that Hakanpaa is not ready to go to start the season. Its also a very good chance that Timmins doesn't make it through camp and pre-season without being injured.

I think it’s a sure thing Hakanpaa is ready to start the season. Otherwise what was the point of making the signing official when they still need to sign Pacioretty? In that scenario they would have been better off waiting to sign Hakanpaa until later to give them more flexibility and accrue a little cap space in the meantime.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Don’t fully agree on Liljegren. I think as much as anyone he could benefit from a new voice behind the bench. He’s been with Keefe a long time. I do agree though, Timmins isn’t at all part of the conversation
I thought he was awful in the playoffs, his lack of poise was alarming. He has great moments, can move the puck, can be effective, but it never lasts with him and I counted his best hockey was 21-22, which is concerning to me. Anyways, suspect we keep him, we aren’t exactly deep, better but still thin.

Reactions: rumman

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
I think it’s a sure thing Hakanpaa is ready to start the season. Otherwise what was the point of making the signing official when they still need to sign Pacioretty? In that scenario they would have been better off waiting to sign Hakanpaa until later to give them more flexibility and accrue a little cap space in the meantime.
You could be right however signing him now allows for him to be around the team at camp and to work directly with medical staff on any treatment he might require. It could be that the plan is for him to start on the IR for a couple of weeks to a month to start the season which would allow them to be cap complaint on day 1 of the regular season.

A forward will be moved out to make room for Pacioretty signing (if that happens).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad