Around the NHL 2024-2025

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Why is it wrong because he took it personally?

if someone looked at me and said that I cannot have a raise because I suck, and then on top of that handed me more responsibility AND THEN when I ask why they are giving me more responsibility when they just said I suck, they tell me it was just business, they didn't want to pay me more, it was nothing personal -
A) I would be pissed that they said I sucked, and even more pissed that they clearly said it just to get out of paying me
B) just because it isn't personal to THEM doesn't mean it isn't personal to ME

Like Tom Hagen said, it's business, not personal. It may be different at your job, but everything in a sports setting is business, not personal. They still want you, but at a lower cost. The arbitrator decides the cost. Even a lot of us fans see things as business, not personal. How many of us were - while we weren't hating the man - happy that Krug's contract would no longer be on the books? How many of us as fans have griped about various contracts, thinking we should pay players less?

Everything in a sports setting is business. Swayman took it personal when it wasn't.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Taking it personally is one thing but letting it effect your future in a business is what;s wrong with it. It's like he didn't understand what the point of arbitration was.
I think you’re projecting a lot of what you think must’ve been in Swayman’s head.

To me, clearly he wasn’t that butt-hurt about it as he just signed to stay with that team another 8 years.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Double digits. Far too many. Yes, Roy and Belfour had meltdowns but were HoF level goalies. You put up with it when they’re giving you great play(like I said about Binnington in the first post). When they suck and are a headcase and are making a big salary it’s a problem. If my goalie is going to suck like Binnington did for consecutive seasons, then yes I’d prefer a bland goalie who isn’t an embarrassment to the team. It’s just whiney baby shit to throw a fit when you’re playing bad. Again, it’s embarrassing. 7 year old goalies show more maturity.
Good thing he hasn’t sucked for consecutive seasons, then. He did the best almost any goalie could do behind a bottom 5 defensive team for a couple seasons in a row though. And also has been the best goaltender we’ve had as a franchise. But yeah, how “embarrassing.” :laugh:

Reactions: Reality Czech

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
Double digits. Far too many. Yes, Roy and Belfour had meltdowns but were HoF level goalies. You put up with it when they’re giving you great play(like I said about Binnington in the first post). When they suck and are a headcase and are making a big salary it’s a problem. If my goalie is going to suck like Binnington did for consecutive seasons, then yes I’d prefer a bland goalie who isn’t an embarrassment to the team. It’s just whiney baby shit to throw a fit when you’re playing bad. Again, it’s embarrassing. 7 year old goalies show more maturity.
An embarrassment? The guy was more responsible than any Blues player in history for giving us the greatest night of our sporting lives. How every single Blues fan doesn't bow at the alter of Binnington I will never know. Now we're hating on him b/c he's TOO fiery? Oh my god. This take is so outlandishly ridiculous.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
Like Tom Hagen said, it's business, not personal. It may be different at your job, but everything in a sports setting is business, not personal. They still want you, but at a lower cost. The arbitrator decides the cost. Even a lot of us fans see things as business, not personal. How many of us were - while we weren't hating the man - happy that Krug's contract would no longer be on the books? How many of us as fans have griped about various contracts, thinking we should pay players less?

Everything in a sports setting is business. Swayman took it personal when it wasn't.
Except who are we to decide what someone else takes as personal, and, to him, it was CLEARLY personal

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
I think you’re projecting a lot of what you think must’ve been in Swayman’s head.

To me, clearly he wasn’t that butt-hurt about it as he just signed to stay with that team another 8 years.
This, there is a difference about being butthurt by something and using it as motivation, then turning it around and using it as leverage to get the deal you want. These kinds of these happen pretty routinely in the negotiation process between teams and players they are just usually done behind closed doors. It looks messy when things get aired out in public but there's obviously no bad blood there as both the player and the team just agreed to continue their relationship for another 8 years.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
This, there is a difference about being butthurt by something and using it as motivation, then turning it around and using it as leverage to get the deal you want. These kinds of these happen pretty routinely in the negotiation process between teams and players they are just usually done behind closed doors. It looks messy when things get aired out in public but there's obviously no bad blood there as both the player and the team just agreed to continue their relationship for another 8 years.
maybe Taylor Swift can write a song about it

Reactions: SirPaste

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
An embarrassment? The guy was more responsible than any Blues player in history for giving us the greatest night of our sporting lives. How every single Blues fan doesn't bow at the alter of Binnington I will never know. Now we're hating on him b/c he's TOO fiery? Oh my god. This take is so outlandishly ridiculous.

Bow down at the altar of Binnington? Why not O'Reilly? Or Schwartz? Or Tarasenko? Or Bouwmeester, Parayko, or f***ing Pietrangelo, for crying out loud? Or even Berube or Armstrong? They were just as instrumental in our Stanley Cup run as Binnington. And yet, all of the players I mentioned aside from Parayko are gone. Armstrong got us further than any GM ever, and yet some people here have criticized him. Pietrangelo is apparently fair game for insults and shit, but holy fate forbid any warranted criticism of Binnington, and how dare any Blues fan not bow at an altar of him?

Hate to break it to you, but it takes a team, coaching, and management to win a Stanley Cup, not a single player - otherwise, McDavid would've won it by now.

Reactions: Majorityof1

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

If only they had an award for the most valuable player in the playoffs, so Binnington could have been rewarded for single-handedly leading us to Glory(a). Oh, they do? The Conn smythe? Hmm, well let's see that trophy he won..

Hmm, Binnington looks a lot different...and has a different number, and was called Ryan O'Reilly back then.

Also, should Blackhawks fans be cool with the team ignoring rape since they won the cup? If Binnington had hit Kadri with that stick and seriously injured him, would he be immune from criticism cause he won a cup once? Is there no line where we could say "sure he won a cup X years ago but it's time to move on"?

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
If only they had an award for the most valuable player in the playoffs, so Binnington could have been rewarded for single-handedly leading us to Glory(a). Oh, they do? The Conn smythe? Hmm, well let's see that trophy he won..

Hmm, Binnington looks a lot different...and has a different number, and was called Ryan O'Reilly back then.

Also, should Blackhawks fans be cool with the team ignoring rape since they won the cup? If Binnington had hit Kadri with that stick and seriously injured him, would he be immune from criticism cause he won a cup once? Is there no line where we could say "sure he won a cup X years ago but it's time to move on"?
Throwing an empty water bottle and swinging a stick in someone's general vicinity is anywhere in the same universe as rape in your mind? You serious right now?

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
Bow down at the altar of Binnington? Why not O'Reilly? Or Schwartz? Or Tarasenko? Or Bouwmeester, Parayko, or f***ing Pietrangelo, for crying out loud? Or even Berube or Armstrong? They were just as instrumental in our Stanley Cup run as Binnington. And yet, all of the players I mentioned aside from Parayko are gone. Armstrong got us further than any GM ever, and yet some people here have criticized him. Pietrangelo is apparently fair game for insults and shit, but holy fate forbid any warranted criticism of Binnington, and how dare any Blues fan not bow at an altar of him?

Hate to break it to you, but it takes a team, coaching, and management to win a Stanley Cup, not a single player - otherwise, McDavid would've won it by now.
Well no s*** there were other studs on the Stanley Cup roster and there were architects who assembled the team and there was a great Coach who I adore but the Blues had loaded teams for much of their recent history after 1990 and guess what, no one ever did what Binnington did to lead the franchise to the promised land. Sorry, he's a God in terms of what he did and I really question your fanhood if you feel different about that man and what he did that spring & summer.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
It can be argued that Binnington’s ascension to starting goaltender was the most significant event in Blues history; an event that one can directly trace to complete team turnaround which resulted in an incredible and unexpected run to the franchise’s first and only Championship.

Ryan O’Rielly had a terrific playoffs and I was very happy that he won the Conn Smythe. The voters for that trophy don’t know the Blues though. There’s no question in my mind that the Blues players, regardless of stats, knew who the most important player for that team was in 2019.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL

This whole thing is ridiculous but Binnington could have easily won the Conn Smythe over ROR and nobody would have batted an eye. Argument could have been made for Petro as well but thats a whole other can of worms.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011

My God, he didn’t hit him though. :laugh: You are milking the hell out of that. You can keep saying “if he hit him” all you want. But the difference is, he didn’t. And he wasn’t even trying to make contact.

And about the Conn Smythe, Binnington was certainly in the running for that. It’s crazy to pretend he wasn’t. I mean, if not for Binnington’s Game 7 performance, O’Reilly isn’t lifting that trophy - nor is any Blues player. And they aren’t lifting it if Binnington didn’t come in and save the team in January, either. They flat out wouldn’t have even come close to that Cup without him and that’s not up for debate.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011

Sure, you can bow down to any of those people you just listed and I don’t think anybody would have a problem with that.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I know we're all really jacked for the season to start, but...

<TAPS SIGN>

Let's tone this discussion down and back on topic, please.

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
Although I think Binner is at his best when he's not over reacting on the ice, mark me down as someone who has no problem with him or his teenage social media posts. I also have no problem with how Swayman handled these contract negotiations either, which seems to be what kicked the Binnington conversation off in this thread.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Throwing an empty water bottle and swinging a stick in someone's general vicinity is anywhere in the same universe as rape in your mind? You serious right now?

Of course it's not the same. That's the point. There is a line where a cup isn't worth it. I gave an extreme example everyone would agree on. It now comes down to each of us setting the line for ourselves. Binnington has past it for me. I'm not saying he should pass it for anyone else. But everyone is real comfortable telling me where I should draw my own line.

My God, he didn’t hit him though. :laugh: You are milking the hell out of that. You can keep saying “if he hit him” all you want. But the difference is, he didn’t. And he wasn’t even trying to make contact.

It's a totally unnecessary and dangerous move. What if the stick slipped? What if he misjudged? What if Kadri suddenly turned into the stick. Why would you ever need to swing a stick within a foot of an unsuspecting person's head? I can see someone saying "yeah, that was boneheaded and he learned his lesson". But justifying it as no big deal? That is what' crazy to me.

• Haha

wiscrev

May 25, 2019
Of course it's not the same. That's the point. There is a line where a cup isn't worth it. I gave an extreme example everyone would agree on. It now comes down to each of us setting the line for ourselves. Binnington has past it for me. I'm not saying he should pass it for anyone else. But everyone is real comfortable telling me where I should draw my own line.

It's a totally unnecessary and dangerous move. What if the stick slipped? What if he misjudged? What if Kadri suddenly turned into the stick. Why would you ever need to swing a stick within a foot of an unsuspecting person's head? I can see someone saying "yeah, that was boneheaded and he learned his lesson". But justifying it as no big deal? That is what' crazy to me.
Just STOP IT!

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
binnington has had double digit 'meltdowns'

that is false. someone who makes that up isn't a blues fan, that's straight up lying.

just be a man and admit 'I hate this guy so much he makes me lie'

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad