Around the NHL 2023-24 - offseason part II

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Okay, so I really haven't went on a single rant on this website about Nichushkin or anything that's went on with him.

But yesterday I was catching up on some THG (the hockey guy) videos on youtube, that I had missed over the last few days from being so busy and having visiting family.

He has one video where he discussed his favorite contracts (as in bargain contracts) on every team. He said that Colorado really doesn't have any bad contracts, and threw Nichushkin's name out there as not really being a bad contract, but that he's just got some problems.

I would say a guy getting paid as much as Nichushkin gets paid, who has had to leave the lineup TWO years in a row now in the middle of a playoff run for controversial personal reasons makes him a BAD contract.

That's two years in a row now that he disappears from the team during the middle of a playoff round. First time for whatever happened in that hotel, with whoever that girl was. And then the next year for getting popped with a dirty test, after already being in player assistance for drug treatment. And now he's suspended 6 months. And I'd have to think by the second time everybody on the team has had enough of his LITERAL disappearing act in the playoffs. It's not like the guy got injured two years in a row or had to leave for personal reasons that were actually out of his control, like a family illness.

It may not be a completely crippling contract, because he has performed well when he's been in the lineup and if he stays straight he's still redeemable. But as it currently stands....I can't say that's a good contract. They don't even have use of him in the playoffs because he winds up doing something sketchy and has to leave the team.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Okay, so I really haven't went on a single rant on this website about Nichushkin or anything that's went on with him.

But yesterday I was catching up on some THG (the hockey guy) videos on youtube, that I had missed over the last few days from being so busy and having visiting family.

He has one video where he discussed his favorite contracts (as in bargain contracts) on every team. He said that Colorado really doesn't have any bad contracts, and threw Nichushkin's name out there as not really being a bad contract, but that he's just got some problems.

I would say a guy getting paid as much as Nichushkin gets paid, who has had to leave the lineup TWO years in a row now in the middle of a playoff run for controversial personal reasons makes him a BAD contract.

That's two years in a row now that he disappears from the team during the middle of a playoff round. First time for whatever happened in that hotel, with whoever that girl was. And then the next year for getting popped with a dirty test, after already being in player assistance for drug treatment. And now he's suspended 6 months. And I'd have to think by the second time everybody on the team has had enough of his LITERAL disappearing act in the playoffs. It's not like the guy got injured two years in a row or had to leave for personal reasons that were actually out of his control, like a family illness.

It may not be a completely crippling contract, because he has performed well when he's been in the lineup and if he stays straight he's still redeemable. But as it currently stands....I can't say that's a good contract. They don't even have use of him in the playoffs because he winds up doing something sketchy and has to leave the team.
How does it work if he’s in player assistance? Do they get cap relief?

Reactions: Dialamo

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

Having both Nichushkin and Landeskog in limbo is tough for Colorado.

Drouin caught fire last year with 48 points in his last 53 GP, and they added Mittelstadt, but that’s comparatively weaker depth.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Having both Nichushkin and Landeskog in limbo is tough for Colorado.

Drouin caught fire last year with 48 points in his last 53 GP, and they added Mittelstadt, but that’s comparatively weaker depth.
Two excellent players. Big losses. I expect Nichushkin to get treatment and hopefully Landeskog is ready to play this season.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
This is how the NHLPA Player Assistance Program works.
There is no set time a player must spend in the program. Players continue to be paid while they step away from hockey and focus on themselves. No one can leave the program until they have been cleared by those running it.

Because privacy is a main component of the program, the behind-the-scenes operation has not been documented, and people's reasons for entering the program are not released. Some athletes have spoken out after they left the program about why they entered.

The program has four stages:

• Stage one: Entrance into the program; no penalty.
  • Stage two: Violation of stage one triggers suspension without pay while player undergoes treatment.
  • Stage three: Violation of stage two triggers suspension lasting a minimum of six months followed by an application for reinstatement.
  • Stage four: Violation of stage three triggers suspension lasting a minimum of one year, with reinstatement not guaranteed.

Nichushkin entered Stage One to get a mulligan for partying during the 2023 Playoffs.

He entered Stage Two last January, though this article says he got paid while he receiving treatment. (Maybe because he allegedly entered treatment voluntarily.)

He entered Stage Three when he failed a drug test in May and was suspended for at least 6 months. So he can potentially return in November but needs to be reinstated.

I assume he’s f***ed if he hits Stage Four but then his life is a complete mess. I don’t know if any players have hit that stage and this program has been around since 1996.

The only suspensions for susbstance abuse, and not performance enhancing drugs, I can recall were the result of arrests: Zach Kassian (after a drunk driving accident where he was reportedly the passenger) and Mike Richards (busted at the boarder with drugs).

Nichushkin failing a drug test, when he had to know he was going to be tested, is notable.

Overview:

My3Sons

Sponsor

Nichushkin entered Stage One to get a mulligan for partying during the 2023 Playoffs.

He entered Stage Two last January, though this article says he got paid while he receiving treatment. (Maybe because he allegedly entered treatment voluntarily.)

He entered Stage Three when he failed a drug test in May and was suspended for at least 6 months. So he can potentially return in November but needs to be reinstated.

I assume he’s f***ed if he hits Stage Four but then his life is a complete mess. I don’t know if any players have hit that stage and this program has been around since 1996.

The only suspensions for susbstance abuse, and not performance enhancing drugs, I can recall were the result of arrests: Zach Kassian (after a drunk driving accident where he was reportedly the passenger) and Mike Richards (busted at the boarder with drugs).

Nichushkin failing a drug test, when he had to know he was going to be tested, is notable.

Overview:
Poor guy. He's clearly ill and needs professional help and treatment. I hope his agent/supprt system such as it is will get him going in the correct direction. He's got a long life after hockey and all the substance abuse will wreck it.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
How does it work if he’s in player assistance? Do they get cap relief?
I almost was ready to post in that post I made about him that unlike with LTIR, they won't get cap relief.

That would have been false though and I fact checked myself on that before posting, and it turns out that do get cap relief while he's suspended. But it won't be for long.

Reactions: My3Sons

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Two excellent players. Big losses. I expect Nichushkin to get treatment and hopefully Landeskog is ready to play this season.
I have no idea what's happening with Landeskog, but it would be one of the nicer stories in the league to see him come back this year and actually play well after two whole years off. The timeline always seemed to change with him. He was supposed to be back early in 22-23 at one point, then they were supposed to get him back for the playoffs. Then they said they weren't, but that he'd be ready next year. Then they announced pretty early from what I remember that he was out for the entirety of the 23-24 season. But then something was said that he could return in the playoffs if the Avalanche go on a long enough run in the playoffs. Not sure what they're saying now.

He's also a little too young to just ride off into the sunset after a cup finals like Price and Weber did back in 2021, after being done after that cup finals. Price technically came back to end the next season for a few games, which is often forgotten, but it sort of feels like that with Landeskog. Only he went out with a cup win and not in a finals loss like those two guys. In the event he never does play again it's almost like a Pavel Bure or Cam Neely situation, where those guys were done by their early 30s. I'm not saying he's a hall of famer like those guys, I just can't think of the last significant player who didn't make it into their 30s as a player.

I hope he does play again, because it would be one of the feel good stories of the season.

Poor guy. He's clearly ill and needs professional help and treatment. I hope his agent/supprt system such as it is will get him going in the correct direction. He's got a long life after hockey and all the substance abuse will wreck it.
I agree.

I tend to be much more sympathetic of those with drug problems, which I really wasn't so sympathetic when I was a young person. As you and I have discussed as length in the TAN numerous times, it's something that hits too close to home with one of my best friends, and something that probably took over her life in her 30s and is now pretty bad as she's turned 40. Thankfully she has a mom that takes care of her and her kids and she lives with her, but that doesn't change the fact that she's still really bad off on the drugs.

Fortunately, from all we know, at least it isn't opiates, but cocaine is probably more dangerous than it's ever been nowadays, as you can't be sure that you're not getting a bunch of fentanyl that'll kill you.

My3Sons

Sponsor
I have no idea what's happening with Landeskog, but it would be one of the nicer stories in the league to see him come back this year and actually play well after two whole years off. The timeline always seemed to change with him. He was supposed to be back early in 22-23 at one point, then they were supposed to get him back for the playoffs. Then they said they weren't, but that he'd be ready next year. Then they announced pretty early from what I remember that he was out for the entirety of the 23-24 season. But then something was said that he could return in the playoffs if the Avalanche go on a long enough run in the playoffs. Not sure what they're saying now.

He's also a little too young to just ride off into the sunset after a cup finals like Price and Weber did back in 2021, after being done after that cup finals. Price technically came back to end the next season for a few games, which is often forgotten, but it sort of feels like that with Landeskog. Only he went out with a cup win and not in a finals loss like those two guys. In the event he never does play again it's almost like a Pavel Bure or Cam Neely situation, where those guys were done by their early 30s. I'm not saying he's a hall of famer like those guys, I just can't think of the last significant player who didn't make it into their 30s as a player.

I hope he does play again, because it would be one of the feel good stories of the season.

I agree.

I tend to be much more sympathetic of those with drug problems, which I really wasn't so sympathetic when I was a young person. As you and I have discussed as length in the TAN numerous times, it's something that hits too close to home with one of my best friends, and something that probably took over her life in her 30s and is now pretty bad as she's turned 40. Thankfully she has a mom that takes care of her and her kids and she lives with her, but that doesn't change the fact that she's still really bad off on the drugs.

Fortunately, from all we know, at least it isn't opiates, but cocaine is probably more dangerous than it's ever been nowadays, as you can't be sure that you're not getting a bunch of fentanyl that'll kill you.
At least in today’s world it’s treated like an illness and these people can potentially get help if they want it.

Reactions: Bleedred

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut

Overview:

What ended up happening with Galchenyuk after his arrest? I think I remember that the Coyotes voided his contract, but did the player assistance program get involved with that situation?

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
What ended up happening with Galchenyuk after his arrest? I think I remember that the Coyotes voided his contract, but did the player assistance program get involved with that situation?

Arrested July 9, terminated July 13
IMG_8558.jpeg

He pled out on August 21

He left the program when he signed a 2 year KHL deal on August 25.

Entering the program was presumably a way to 1) set up a potential challenge to the contract termination, though that never happened, 2) get the rehab he needed to avoid jail.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

Offensive zone would be a better point than the red line. Eventually it will progress to that point
I still wonder how to enforce this in unclear situations, like when a player is under attack by an opponent.

I know it will generally be easy to tell but there will also be situations that’s aren’t as clear, I assume that’s why the first infraction is free.

Moving it to the offensive blue line would increase the number of unclear situations and may start to cause unintended consequences that actually stifle offense and flow.

Also, if I throw the puck back to my goalie, that seems allowed still so that may be the new solution to cycle back when needed.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
I still wonder how to enforce this in unclear situations, like when a player is under attack by an opponent.

I know it will generally be easy to tell but there will also be situations that’s aren’t as clear, I assume that’s why the first infraction is free.

Moving it to the offensive blue line would increase the number of unclear situations and may start to cause unintended consequences that actually stifle offense and flow.

Also, if I throw the puck back to my goalie, that seems allowed still so that may be the new solution to cycle back when needed.

Just wait. Did the puck completely cross the red line? REVIEW!

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Just wait. Did the puck completely cross the red line? REVIEW!
I stopped touching the puck while I skated back over the red line so I didn’t skate it back, I passed it backwards to myself.

—————

I think at the red line it won’t get too silly, since you can still cycle back out a good distance, but I think if it was the offensive blue line we would get a lot of arguments like these. Also, teams playing more conservative to avoid getting penalized from this.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
i dont think you would be able to pass it back to the goalie once you cross the line or did they say you could?

i think if you move it to the offensive blue line you will see a lot of teams on defense pressure the guys at the line which will create a lot of turn overs or leave someone open down low.

theres going to always be unintended consequences because the teams that aren't as good as other teams will always try to slow/dumb down play to their level. no one would've ever guessed moving to 3on3 would result in teams ragging the puck and trying to tire one team out yet here we are.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024

I think his argument would be that the contract itself is good - the fact that the person behind the player has had issues wouldnt change the value for the talent

Though, for a current ranking, Id have Nichuskin's deal as one of if not the worst since he is not playing; once he comes back that can change. So there I disagree with him

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think his argument would be that the contract itself is good - the fact that the person behind the player has had issues wouldnt change the value for the talent

Though, for a current ranking, Id have Nichuskin's deal as one of if not the worst since he is not playing; once he comes back that can change. So there I disagree with him
Yeah, when he’s actually in the lineup there’s been nothing wrong with his contract. At least not until this point.

But the fact that he’s now disappeared from the team for two years in a row now in the middle of a (losing) playoff series both times, for things in his own control has been a huge detriment.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I know I'm not the one first one to say this, but Sprong strikes me as the antithesis of the ''We want hockey players'' comment from Fitz.

Don't get me wrong, I would have definitely signed him for that. I was interested in him or Duclair (not on that contract Lou gave him though) for their speed, but I'm just saying that I think that's how management likely feels about him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad