Around the NHL 2023-24 - offseason part II

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I like him too. I think @Guttersniped pumped his tires so I started watching when he got starts. I am pretty sure he beat us once.
Who didn’t beat NJ last season? I think my oldest son’s buddy getting his PhD from MIT who has never played hockey in his life was an ebug at one point and beat NJ.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Screen Shot 2024-07-13 at 3.01.12 PM.png

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Prospect swap that I would have expected out of my fantasy league not in real life. For Oilers fans, they're still bitter about passing on Jesper Wallstedt for Bourgault. As I understood it, they would have taken Bourgault anyways, but traded down and got an extra pick. Argued with another guy recently who remains certain that Edmonton got jedi mind tricked into trading down.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Byfield signing several hours after TSN's Travis Yost posted this dubious article about offer sheet targets made me smile.

Similar thing happened when that Dom guy on The Athletic wrote about how he'd offer sheet Anthony Cirelli and Cirelli signed later that day with Tampa. Dom also managed to get the offer sheet rules incorrect.

I don't get people's fascination with offer sheets. Nobody seems to check who has the required picks, cap space, and motivation. But then they act like they've somehow outsmarted everybody.

Edit: 13 of the 31 other teams don't have the required draft picks to even hypothetically extend an offer sheet. Quick check of the cap situations of the other 18:

Anaheim: 20 mil - Why would Anaheim do it?
Seattle: 8.16 mil - Beniers RFA
Dallas: 7.14 mil - Thomas Harley RFA, Johnston/Oettinger on the horizon
Minnesota: 194K
Nashville: -950K
St. Louis: 6.56 mil
Utah: 12.5 mil
Winnipeg: 3.48 mil
Boston: 7.86 mil - Swayman RFA
Buffalo: 13.9 mil
Detroit: 19.2 mil - Seider/Raymond RFA
Montreal: 10.2 mil
Carolina: 5.9 mil - Necas/Jarvis RFA, maybe some relief if Kuznetsov leaves
Columbus: 13.8 mil - Marchenko/Sillinger/Johnson RFA
NY Islanders: 288K
NY Rangers: 4.35 mil - Lindgren RFA
Philadelphia: 845K
Pittsburgh: 3.52 mil

Not sure Byfield would have really entertained an offer from Utah, Anaheim, or Buffalo.

And why would you even offer sheet Kaliyev at this point? If you overpaid him, I'm sure the Kings would happily take the 2nd rounder (probably even the 3rd) as compensation. Jordan Spence is okay, but if you overpay him what does that say to your next okay-ish RFA about what he should expect?

Last edited:

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
is it a hot take to say that the Byfield deal looks.... probably fine? He always looked good but not great to me, with a whole lot of extra respect heaped on his name because he "skates well for someone his size."

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024

Byfield signing several hours after TSN's Travis Yost posted this dubious article about offer sheet targets made me smile.

Similar thing happened when that Dom guy on The Athletic wrote about how he'd offer sheet Anthony Cirelli and Cirelli signed later that day with Tampa. Dom also managed to get the offer sheet rules incorrect.

I don't get people's fascination with offer sheets. Nobody seems to check who has the required picks, cap space, and motivation. But then they act like they've somehow outsmarted everybody.

Edit: 13 of the 31 other teams don't have the required draft picks to even hypothetically extend an offer sheet. Quick check of the cap situations of the other 18:

Not sure Byfield would have really entertained an offer from Utah, Anaheim, or Buffalo.

And why would you even offer sheet Kaliyev at this point? If you overpaid him, I'm sure the Kings would happily take the 2nd rounder (probably even the 3rd) as compensation. Jordan Spence is okay, but if you overpay him what does that say to your next okay-ish RFA about what he should expect?
Perhaps not this specific case but, unless I can be linked to somewhere that says otherwise, I do think offer sheets are more common than we may ever know because theyre rarely signed

I could also be very wrong - which is why id be interested to read on it from a former executive's view one day

Could be a level of play in the background with offer sheets that we dont know; for example, besides contention between teams, why wouldnt every organization that can afford to make reasonable attempts thatll likely be matched? You never know when one day a team just says f*** it for some reason or another and you get yourself a good player

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Perhaps not this specific case but, unless I can be linked to somewhere that says otherwise, I do think offer sheets are more common than we may ever know because theyre rarely signed

I could also be very wrong - which is why id be interested to read on it from a former executive's view one day

Could be a level of play in the background with offer sheets that we dont know; for example, besides contention between teams, why wouldnt every organization that can afford to make reasonable attempts thatll likely be matched? You never know when one day a team just says f*** it for some reason or another and you get yourself a good player

Teams could kick the tires. Montreal approached Brayden Point who declined as he was happy in Tampa. Montreal then pivoted to Sebastian Aho who was willing to sign since negotiations with Carolina weren't going well. Back when the Devils were in salary cap purgatory in the summer of 2006, I think Brian Gionta mentioned that a couple teams approached him but he didn't consider it.

And then there's the case when Mitch Marner was RFA and allegedly Columbus would have been willing to sign him. Seemed like Marner's camp was never particularly interested in Columbus but was happy to leverage a hypothetical offer sheet as part of the negotiation with Toronto.

But realistically there's what, five teams that would have the draft picks and cap space for Byfield? And how many of those are situations that Byfield would entertain?

Overpaying for an average guy like Spence/Kaliyev could have repercussions down the line. I've wondered if Martin Necas has felt slighted since he's been a better player than Jesperi Kotkaniemi, but he's been paid less due to those offer sheet shenaningans.

And why not just work out a boring trade if it came down to it?

Also my favorite cautionary tale about offer sheets was Tampa in the summer of 2008. They wanted a young D to grow with Steven Stamkos and they decided they would offer sheet Andrej Meszaros since Ottawa had cap problems. Unfortunately Tampa didn't have the foresight to not trade one of the required 3rd rounders and were unsuccessful in getting it back. After it dragged into late August, they eventually worked out a trade and sent Filip Kuba and a different 1st rounder to Ottawa who sadly thought their window was still open.

If Tampa had done the offer sheet as originally intended, they would have forked over their own 2009 1st rounder aka the Victor Hedman pick.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007

I think it's two things

1. Offer sheets are fun

2. I do think there are more offer sheets than we see (we only see then when they are signed). I think IRC William Nylander ended his holdout with a deal that was suspiciously close to the top end of some compensation bucket and there's a rumor Columbus sent him an offer sheet. Basically some teams do give out offer sheets and teams are aware of the compensation buckets as price/salary enforcement mechanisms.

Even though they rarely happen they do a good job of helping make sure RFAs aren't completely wrecked in negotiations. Arbitration also helps there.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I think it's two things

1. Offer sheets are fun

2. I do think there are more offer sheets than we see (we only see then when they are signed). I think IRC William Nylander ended his holdout with a deal that was suspiciously close to the top end of some compensation bucket and there's a rumor Columbus sent him an offer sheet. Basically some teams do give out offer sheets and teams are aware of the compensation buckets as price/salary enforcement mechanisms.

Even though they rarely happen they do a good job of helping make sure RFAs aren't completely wrecked in negotiations. Arbitration also helps there.

I suppose we have different definitions of fun. I guess it was amusing to sit back and watch Carolina try to get revenge for the Aho one. Or St. Louis offer sheeting Steve Bernier to retaliate against Vancouver for signing David Backes to one. Or Brian Burke threatening physical violence against Kevin Lowe over the the Dustin Penner offer sheet.

I thought the Columbus rumor was about Marner not Nylander. Marner's camp didn't seem like they really wanted to sign with the Jackets but were happy to use it as leverage.

I just feel like it's a little misguided. People want offer sheets but seem to neglect that most teams either don't have the required picks, cap space/their own RFA to worry about, or motivation. If I recall correctly, in the Dom article he called on Boston to offer sheet Anthony Cirelli but he seemed to neglect that Boston needed to save what cap space they had for Jake DeBrusk.

At least with the Yost article, he comes off thinking he's outsmarted somebody by overpaying for Kaliyev/Spence. Those aren't the sort of guys I'd risk messing up my salary structure over. If I need a quick laugh, I'll dig up an old thread from a few summers ago when a few people were advocating for a Kevin Labanc offer sheet.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Still don’t understand why they let Pietrangelo go

I had to quickly re-read how that went down. Pietrangelo was set to be UFA in summer 2020. They acquired Justin Faulk in September 2019 and immediately gave him a 7x6.5 mil extension. Pietrangelo was a little offended by that and he thought his extension should have taken precedence.

And then the pandemic happened and the Blues probably had assumed they'd have more salary cap space. Pietrangelo got 8.8 mil AAV from Vegas, because of taxes I'd assume St. Louis would have had to go to least 9.5 mil to match. As it was, signing Torey Krug (7x6.5) as the de facto Pietrangelo replacement put them slightly over the cap.

Maybe a different world if Anaheim had been able to work out an extension with Faulk. Carolina had a deal in place to send him to the Ducks, but Faulk blocked it with his NTC but was willing to waive if Anaheim backed up the Brinks truck. But as it was, St. Louis probably assumed they could fit Faulk and Pietrangelo but then the pandemic put the kibosh on that. Then again Pietrangelo-Faulk-Parayko would have been a very expensive right side, but it seemed like the Blues tried to keep Pietrangelo but they didn't have the cap space.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
And then the pandemic happened and the Blues probably had assumed they'd have more salary cap space. Pietrangelo got 8.8 mil AAV from Vegas, because of taxes I'd assume St. Louis would have had to go to least 9.5 mil to match.
State tax rate difference between missouri and nevada is approximately 2% net, even without a good tax guy.

Not saying it's not a factor at all, but even $9M a year would more than cover the difference, so I don't think that's really a motivating factor.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
State tax rate difference between missouri and nevada is approximately 2% net, even without a good tax guy.

Not saying it's not a factor at all, but even $9M a year would more than cover the difference, so I don't think that's really a motivating factor.

At any rate, Krug at 6.5 mil put the Blues a little bit over the cap so fitting Pietrangelo at 9 wouldn't have been trivial.

Reactions: MasterofGrond

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad