Around the NHL 2023-24 - offseason part II

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
It's great insights like that which should keep you in the prospects poll. Someone tell @Nubmer6 to reconsider.
IMG_0545.gif

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Probably a step back this season for two steps forward in avoiding all those deals, taking a hit now.

I don’t even think Guentzel, great as he is, will live up to his deal.

But yeah in theory we should be better than them. In theory.

I think they wanted to re-sign most of those guys and couldn't do any of them - certainly they made offers to Pesce and Guentzel. Not really sure what's going on there or why people seem to want out.

forceten

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
It's really weird here. The locals are freaking out, and I don't actually blame them.

Jarvis and Necas (who was rumored to be on the block but I doubt it now) need to be signed.

Their forward group is Aho, Svechnikov, Jarvis, Necas... and then mid players like Staal, Martinook, Kotkaniemi, Fast, Roslovic, Carrier, Drury, Jost, Robinson, Lemieux.

Their defense group is Slavin, Orlov (who hasn't been awesome), Burns (who turns 800), Chatfield, and then Walker, Gostisbehere, and... one of their ELC guys I guess.

Goalie is still Anderson and Kotchetkov.

It's not as good on paper as it was.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
I think they wanted to re-sign most of those guys and couldn't do any of them - certainly they made offers to Pesce and Guentzel. Not really sure what's going on there or why people seem to want out.
Eh - I’m not sure how much they tried with Pesce at least. It felt like Carolina only wanted him back on their terms. Not a lot of bend in their approach - which fits in with everything we’ve heard about the org.

It’s reasonable, though, for Carolina to say that their core wasn’t working, so doubling down on the same group wasn’t useful. Direct opposite of the Leafs approach this year. Of course, the Leafs would have had to make trades to change things up while Carolina was more FA driven, but still interesting to see the different decisions.

Reactions: My3Sons

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
It's really weird here. The locals are freaking out, and I don't actually blame them.

Jarvis and Necas (who was rumored to be on the block but I doubt it now) need to be signed.

Their forward group is Aho, Svechnikov, Jarvis, Necas... and then mid players like Staal, Martinook, Kotkaniemi, Fast, Roslovic, Carrier, Drury, Jost, Robinson, Lemieux.

Their defense group is Slavin, Orlov (who hasn't been awesome), Burns (who turns 800), Chatfield, and then Walker, Gostisbehere, and... one of their ELC guys I guess.

Is Nikishin (sp?) in their plans for this season? Feels like we’ve been hearing about this guy since the dawn of composite sticks.

Reactions: Oneiro and My3Sons

Camille the Eel

Still a playoff team with their forecheck and solid defensive play. Like Boston last year only with less stellar goal tending. They will run up between 90 and 100 points and lose after one or two playoff rounds, probably go out in the opening round but depending.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

The locals shouldn't be surprised. Carolina walked Hamilton out the door and Hamilton by all accounts really wanted to return. The team seems to have a hard number for defenders around $50 mil in total value. According to reporting before Hamilton moved to NJ he was offered around $6.2 or $6.3 per over the 8 years and the recent deal with Slavin is similar. The Canes were able to replace Hamilton with Burns but now that the cap is rising again there are more teams with space to sign guys and teams aren't dumping good players for next to nothing just to save a bit of cap. This will be an adjustment for Carolina. I don't doubt that the organization put out feelers on Jarvis and Necas but I doubt that any other team is in a rush to pay them tip top dollar and overpay in assets for the privilege of doing so. Presumably Necas will elect arbitration and sign something just before a hearing. Jarvis has fewer options beyond a hold out but on a second contract without aribitration his deal should be much easier. Carolina will still ice an excellent team albeit with less depth than recent seasons. Especially on defense.

Last edited:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Is Nikishin (sp?) in their plans for this season? Feels like we’ve been hearing about this guy since the dawn of composite sticks.

Similar boat with Gritsyuk, Nikishin is in the final year of his KHL deal and could hypothetically join Carolina for the playoffs after his KHL team is finished. Orlov is UFA after this season so in theory Nikishin could slide into that spot for 2025-26.

I thought they signed Riley Stillman with the intention of having him as the vet #7 but looks like he's on a two way deal so maybe it'll be a competition. They picked up Ty Smith as a throw-in from the Guentzel trade. Scott Morrow got a cup of coffee late last season but looks like they want him to get AHL time.

Last edited:

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

It isnt good but still looks like a play off team. Now they will try to teach Morrow how to play NHL hockey, next year they will invite Nikishin. Lucius was good in NCAA. May be they will work on the market next years. Nothing crazy overall, still very annoying team to play against.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
You don't want to be shopping for a center at the deadline and looks like Carolina will likely be doing that again unless Drury/Kotkaniemi suddenly break out. I'm not sure why Necas can't be a center for them but they apparently are sure he can't be and are trying to trade him before having to pay him.

I get not wanting to sign a bad UFA deal, and sticking to an internal budget and they've been bailed out by clever trades before (e.g. Trochek) but I don't know where the next one is coming from. I do think eventually you have to just pay up and accept the risk that the guy you sign might get old and bad one day if you are trying to win a cup and are capping out your team.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Eh - I’m not sure how much they tried with Pesce at least. It felt like Carolina only wanted him back on their terms. Not a lot of bend in their approach - which fits in with everything we’ve heard about the org.

It’s reasonable, though, for Carolina to say that their core wasn’t working, so doubling down on the same group wasn’t useful. Direct opposite of the Leafs approach this year. Of course, the Leafs would have had to make trades to change things up while Carolina was more FA driven, but still interesting to see the different decisions.

Carolina posters make it sound like the team decided to spend on Guentzel, even if that meant letting Pesce and Skjei, and whoops.

Their approach with Guentzel, they nickel and dime’d him and then at the end were more willing to meet his price, likely alienated him.

They didn’t successfully pivot elsewhere after they traded Guentzel on June 30th. Pesce and Skjei were basically gone by then.

Maybe they’ll give a longer deal to Jarvis now. Sounds likes Necas will get a 1 year deal.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016

Who did they miss out on? I think it was just Guentzel. They would trade Necas if they signed him and got some help in future years. Only a slight downgrade from what the management hoped for.

They are fine on paper in a sense. The problem is they have a lot of what if? question marks.

Burns is on their top pair. He was fine last year but will that hold up for another year?
Orlov was bad last year but has a history of being good. Was last year just a down year?
On the flip side, Walker was good last year but was never good prior. Was last year just a career year?

At forward, Staal regressed a lot. Will he continue to regress again this year?
Kotka was terrible last year, can he perform in a scoring role now that the spots opened up?

And of course the yearly Anderson injury watch.

KHL changes did hurt them the most because they won't have Nikishin coming at the end of this season.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Who did they miss out on? I think it was just Guentzel. They would trade Necas if they signed him and got some help in future years. Only a slight downgrade from what the management hoped for.

They are fine on paper in a sense. The problem is they have a lot of what if? question marks.

Burns is on their top pair. He was fine last year but will that hold up for another year?
Orlov was bad last year but has a history of being good. Was last year just a down year?
On the flip side, Walker was good last year but was never good prior. Was last year just a career year?

At forward, Staal regressed a lot. Will he continue to regress again this year?
Kotka was terrible last year, can he perform in a scoring role now that the spots opened up?

And of course the yearly Anderson injury watch.

KHL changes did hurt them the most because they won't have Nikishin coming at the end of this season.
There's also the ''Andersen is bad every other year since he turned 30 watch'', which we're about to fall on one of those because he was good (with like 16 games played lol) this past year, while he was mediocre the year before and really good (his only great season, where he actually played a sizable number of games since 18-19) the year before, though couldn't make it to the start of the playoffs before getting injured.

Maybe now they'll hand the keys to Kochetkov.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $1,050.00