Around the NHL 2023-2024

Dr Robot

Nov 3, 2011
Wings currently have 30mil in cap space. They also signed that walman contract last year. He’s only making 3.5 mil for this and another year. I don’t see how that’s a cap trade or him not being what they expected trade.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I think it had to be either: 1) there really are future considerations at play here from SJ; 2) an injury that Detroit is herworried about longterm; or 3) off/ice issues. I’m having a veBut y haI d time beiurv

but how is this trade a prerequisite to any big trade that Yzerman may have in store? I don’t get it - it gave them an additional 3.4 mil of space that they don’t need right now for a big trade

I don’t buy it; what does this trade accomplish that’s necessarily for a bigger trade? They have tons of cap space for a big trade. They could have unloaded walman without giving up a 2nd. Something else is wrong - either injury issues or off-ice, IMO.

You can disregard my mumbo jumbo above and just focus on my last paragraph. This site is causing issues today!

Admittedly I didn't really know much about their cap situation. I see they currently have $33 million in space but Seider and Raymond will take a big chunk of that. Regardless, it would seem that there's got to be more to this than cap space to the point of Yzerman needing him gone now at all costs. Sending him to the Sharks no less makes it seem like it's a punishment.

Reactions: tfriede2

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
I've read rumblings that Walman's play had become lackadaisical, as in, taking off shifts, and that that is a factor. Maybe the factor.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Lmao what? So because he only cares about the Stanley Cup since it’s a team award, rather than an individual award for himself, that means he’s a baby?

Think you have that backwards. He wanted to just be in the locker room with his team that he is the captain of. I don’t blame him for not wanting to go out there and awkwardly accept a trophy in front of a booing crowd after he just suffered the most heartbreaking loss of his career. What do you expect him to do, go smile and take pictures with it?
I want people like McDavid on my team. Cares more about team accomplishments and winning than individual things.

Imagine if Kyrou won the Conn Smythe in a losing series. He would be out there smiling ear to ear to accept it then within 30mins would have a highlight reel on TikTok showcasing his run.

We need more McDavid's in the NHL and less Kyrou's.

• Haha
Reactions: Stealth JD

Dr Robot

Nov 3, 2011
He's thinking, 'man, I better do what that mobster bookie goon told me to do'

I have no idea what you're talking about, but I can't stop laughing!!
Canadians drink milk out of bags. They are forbidden to use cartons, jugs or bottles until a Canadian team wins the Stanley Cup and breaks the curse. True story, you can look it up.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Canadians drink milk out of bags. They are forbidden to use cartons, jugs or bottles until a Canadian team wins the Stanley Cup and breaks the curse. True story, you can look it up.
Are you telling me that I have to go trade my gallon jug of milk for the atrocities that are the 1 litre bags I can't buy in my hometown because Bobrovsky got his mojo back fit game 7?

Shit. That's going to be a strange year going out of province every week to buy milk...

Dr Robot

Nov 3, 2011
Are you telling me that I have to go trade my gallon jug of milk for the atrocities that are the 1 litre bags I can't buy in my hometown because Bobrovsky got his mojo back fit game 7?

Shit. That's going to be a strange year going out of province every week to buy milk...
Yup, sorry. You knew the risks when you started dabbeling in free healthcare and illegal toilets.

STLegend

Feb 20, 2010
Montanuh
So does Yzerman just hate the griddy or are there off ice issues with Walman? Hard to believe there was no team willing to take Walman that he had to pay a 2nd for the Sharks to take him... so bizarre.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
So does Yzerman just hate the griddy or are there off ice issues with Walman? Hard to believe there was no team willing to take Walman that he had to pay a 2nd for the Sharks to take him... so bizarre.
Yeah, there has to be more to it. He goes from top pairing and earning an extension to dropping down the depth chart, being healthy scratched and now traded with a sweetener attached. It doesn’t add up. Some sort of off-ice issue is the most likely cause IMO. Yzerman has made culture and character top of house in both Tampa and Detroit so that’s my guess.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
What a weird Walman trade.

The conspiracy theory part of my brain wants to believe that this is actually part of what was supposed to be a 3 way deal between the Rangers, Wings, and Sharks involving Goodrow. That fell apart due to Goodrow's NTC, but the ongoing discussions led to San Jose believing that they could 'win' this deal if they claimed Goodrow.

For example, what if this deal was in the works but fell apart when Goodrow exercised his NTC?

To Rangers: Det 3rd
To Wings: Kakko
To Sharks: TBL 2nd, Goodrow, Walman

That is essentially the Wings paying a mid 2nd, early 3rd, and Walman for Kakko while the Rangers would essentially be trading Kakko for an early 3rd and the freed up cap space from Goodrow (and the AAV they would have been committing to Kakko). That also feels about right. And then San Jose gets a mid-round 2nd and a serviceable D man (who has shown potential for more) for taking on Goodrow. That also seems about right. Then Goodrow blows up the deal with his NTC, the Rangers waive him, and there is an off the record conversation about all 3 teams still accomplishing their goals via two subsequent trades if Goodrow is claimed on waivers by someone.

Maybe there is off ice stuff with Walman that the rest of the league knows about already and this was his true value. But from the outside looking in, it absolutely shouldn't require a 2nd round pick to get someone to take a guy like Walman. Even if you agree that his play noticeably dipped from 2022/23, he's still a 28 year old who has adequately handled 19+ minutes a night and makes just $3.4M for 2 more seasons. Barring off-ice stuff, I don't see that type of guy clearing waivers. I can buy that Yzerman is ready to move on from him and feels that he can better use the cap. But I have a very hard time buying that he couldn't accomplish that goal without paying a 2nd.

I'm looking out for a Rangers/Wings trade in the coming months and if it appears lopsided in favor of the Wings I would expect the PA to make a loud stink.

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022

Don’t love the new Ducks unis. Remind me of:

IMG_4906.jpeg

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
All in all I give the Ducks a B for the redesign.

Pros: The primary logo is finally no longer the webbed D that they've been using. That was easily a bottom 5 primary logo and I will always at least like the masked duck bill logo that they've used here. They also finally got away from black as their primary color, which is a great thing. I'm pretty much always in favor of a team swapping a black jersey for a color. I'm also a big fan of the large amount of orange on the white jerseys. There isn't a ton of orange around the league and most of it is an accent color right now. I think there was room for another orange primary color.

Cons: There is room for more orange, but there is even more room for purple. They have a better color scheme in their existing history that they could have used. They also kept the webbed D as a secondary shoulder logo instead of completely abolishing it. And that faded gold/tan color just doesn't do it for me, especially directly next to orange.

I like them, but I don't quite love them. And honestly, most of my dislike is based on what could have been vs what the jersey actually is. But they are a hell of a step up from what they've been wearing.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022

Pros: The primary logo is finally no longer the webbed D that they've been using. That was easily a bottom 5 primary logo and I will always at least like the masked duck bill logo that they've used here. They also finally got away from black as their primary color, which is a great thing. I'm pretty much always in favor of a team swapping a black jersey for a color. I'm also a big fan of the large amount of orange on the white jerseys. There isn't a ton of orange around the league and most of it is an accent color right now. I think there was room for another orange primary color.

Cons: There is room for more orange, but there is even more room for purple. They have a better color scheme in their existing history that they could have used. They also kept the webbed D as a secondary shoulder logo instead of completely abolishing it. And that faded gold/tan color just doesn't do it for me, especially directly next to orange.

I like them, but I don't quite love them. And honestly, most of my dislike is based on what could have been vs what the jersey actually is. But they are a hell of a step up from what they've been wearing.
Switching back from the D is a definite plus. That was one of the worst logos in NHL history.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I’m still scratching my head as to why they didn’t just waive him and potentially retain the pick.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
The other part to the Walman trade is that the 2nd used to send him to SJ was acquired only an hour earlier from NSH. Wings flipped a D prospect for a Preds F prospect.

Detroit sent away a rostered defenseman and a defensive prospect.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
What a weird Walman trade.

The conspiracy theory part of my brain wants to believe that this is actually part of what was supposed to be a 3 way deal between the Rangers, Wings, and Sharks involving Goodrow. That fell apart due to Goodrow's NTC, but the ongoing discussions led to San Jose believing that they could 'win' this deal if they claimed Goodrow.

For example, what if this deal was in the works but fell apart when Goodrow exercised his NTC?

To Rangers: Det 3rd
To Wings: Kakko
To Sharks: TBL 2nd, Goodrow, Walman

That is essentially the Wings paying a mid 2nd, early 3rd, and Walman for Kakko while the Rangers would essentially be trading Kakko for an early 3rd and the freed up cap space from Goodrow (and the AAV they would have been committing to Kakko). That also feels about right. And then San Jose gets a mid-round 2nd and a serviceable D man (who has shown potential for more) for taking on Goodrow. That also seems about right. Then Goodrow blows up the deal with his NTC, the Rangers waive him, and there is an off the record conversation about all 3 teams still accomplishing their goals via two subsequent trades if Goodrow is claimed on waivers by someone.

Maybe there is off ice stuff with Walman that the rest of the league knows about already and this was his true value. But from the outside looking in, it absolutely shouldn't require a 2nd round pick to get someone to take a guy like Walman. Even if you agree that his play noticeably dipped from 2022/23, he's still a 28 year old who has adequately handled 19+ minutes a night and makes just $3.4M for 2 more seasons. Barring off-ice stuff, I don't see that type of guy clearing waivers. I can buy that Yzerman is ready to move on from him and feels that he can better use the cap. But I have a very hard time buying that he couldn't accomplish that goal without paying a 2nd.

I'm looking out for a Rangers/Wings trade in the coming months and if it appears lopsided in favor of the Wings I would expect the PA to make a loud stink.

But why would Detroit go through with it if they're not getting Kakko?

Dr Robot

Nov 3, 2011
The ducks jersey looks too close to the flyers pylon jersey. I personally really like the Halloween-esque orange and black color scheme but it doesn’t feel like they are pulling it off.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016

Personally, I think the old Ducks jersey (Mighty Ducks) was the best jersey ever created in the NHL. Such an iconic logo and color scheme. I agree there was more room for purple, but I would've preferred the old color scheme coming back in favor of the orange and black scheme they have now. There's potential to have met in the middle and do a purple and orange color scheme here, but overall the new jerseys are way better than the webbed D. If there was anyone worth rooting for on that team I'd probably get a jersey since I love the logo, but surely soon they'll have someone I like. Anyway, I give it a 7/10.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian39

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Yeah, there has to be more to it. He goes from top pairing and earning an extension to dropping down the depth chart, being healthy scratched and now traded with a sweetener attached. It doesn’t add up. Some sort of off-ice issue is the most likely cause IMO. Yzerman has made culture and character top of house in both Tampa and Detroit so that’s my guess.

Walman is top pairing in the same way Colaiacovo was. Yeah he played on the top pair, but he's not a true top pair guy. Walman is as average as it gets. Not even sure how it's possible to get only 9 assists back to back years while playing on a top pairing.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Personally, I think the old Ducks jersey (Mighty Ducks) was the best jersey every created in the NHL. Such an iconic logo and color scheme...If there was anyone worth rooting for on that team I'd probably get a jersey since I love the logo, but surely soon they'll have someone I like. Anyway, I give it a 7/10.
They had an eggplant 3rd jersey this year and have had a couple other 3rd/special jerseys using that green/purple colors in the past few years. I'd wager that they will put out another throw back eggplant jersey in the next 5 years or so. That's probably the one I'd wait for if I was inclined to get a Ducks jersey in the next decade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad