Around the NHL 2023-2024

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
McDavid is a class act. Wish Blues had people/leaders like that on our team instead of poo poo diaper babies like Kyrou.

He will get a cup soon I think. Edmonton is very close.

Watching him waiting at the bench for all of his teammates to finish the handshake line so he could give them a fist-bump was how a leader acts after a loss. He could have hid right after the handshake, but he stayed out there as Florida celebrated so he could be there for his teammates. I think players see that.

The school needs to find a way to get these two at the first day of school

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
That was one of my favorite Cup Finals in recent memory. I don't dislike either team and my primary rooting interest was a good series. It didn't look it from the start, but that wound up delivering a ton of drama and fun games. I thought it was a great balance of physical play approaching (or just over) the line without any over the top acts of violence. Both goalies had stretches of amazing play and stretches of poor play. We saw some great full-team efforts and some great individual efforts. The rarity of a team forcing game 7 after being down 3-0 and the rarity of the Conn Smythe winner being on the losing team.

On to the winners. I like a ton of guys on that team and am happy for a lot of them. Mikkola getting his first real Cup win after being a black ace for us in 2019. Tarasenko winning #2. Tkachuk being the latest STL kid to get his name on the Cup and passing it to his dad right at the end of the ESPN broadcast. A long list of players I like with no STL ties. Bob almost certainly cementing his selection to the HOF. Maurice winning one after a lifetime in the game. Luongo winning one as an exec. Tons of people to be happy for.

From a 'direction of the league' standpoint, it's the 2nd year in a row where the Cup winning team built a huge chunk of their core with bold roster transactions rather than drafting/developing and waiting. Yes, Barkov and Ekblad were early picks and are crucial to that team's success. But pretty much the entire rest of the team was built outside of drafting and developing. And like last year, the Panthers were another team that viewed their identity as a big, physical, mean, defensive team that could smother you and get production up and down the lineup. Skill and speed isn't going any where, but I love seeing teams built like this continue to have success.

On to the losers. All that said above, I would have preferred the Oilers winning. McDavid is the best hockey player I've watched in real time since Mario and I say that with an enormous amount of respect and appreciation for Sid's game. I think he absolutely deserved the Conn Smythe and I want to see him win the Cup for his 1st franchise. I don't want to see him retire without one and I don't want to see a Bourque/Hasek win that requires him to go somewhere else. But Edmonton has consistently failed to build a complete team around him and I don't see many paths to improving the roster for next year given their cap constraints. Now we get to the Drai question. And the Bouchard question. Both have 1 more year left and are due substantial raises for 2025/26. No real money comes off the books next summer to pay for the bulk of those raises, so acquisitions for 2024/25 can't take up too much space for the following season. Or maybe one of them isn't there long term. either way, it makes it really hard to improve (or even sustain) an already flawed roster.

Drai has to submit a 10 team trade list. Is there any chance that this was his last game as an Oiler? I have to think that he'd consider an extension with at least some of the teams on that list. Is the best long-term path forward to trade him in the next couple weeks for an absolute haul? Is Ken Holland the one who makes that decision?

For Edmonton, this could very well be a franchise-defining loss.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Can you pull stats from Florida, how IT looks like!!!
Yep.

IMG_5818.png

But remember, Mikkola can’t make a pass and doesn’t belong in the NHL.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
McDavid is a class act. Wish Blues had people/leaders like that on our team instead of poo poo diaper babies like Kyrou.

He will get a cup soon I think. Edmonton is very close.

Yes, hiding in the locker room instead of coming out and accepting the most prestigious single player award in the sport is definitely a class act.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Yes, hiding in the locker room instead of coming out and accepting the most prestigious single player award in the sport is definitely a class act.
I think it was a pretty big "poo poo diaper baby" move by McDavid not to come out for his Conn Smythe
Lmao what? So because he only cares about the Stanley Cup since it’s a team award, rather than an individual award for himself, that means he’s a baby?

Think you have that backwards. He wanted to just be in the locker room with his team that he is the captain of. I don’t blame him for not wanting to go out there and awkwardly accept a trophy in front of a booing crowd after he just suffered the most heartbreaking loss of his career. What do you expect him to do, go smile and take pictures with it?

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I think it was a pretty big "poo poo diaper baby" move by McDavid not to come out for his Conn Smythe

I don't get that take at all. Reveling in any way in an individual award moments after the team you captained lost the team tourney would be the wrong move imo. Skip the presentation, and put out a tweet or statement later showing appreciation for the honor but doubling commitment to winning the team award.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
ESPN absolutely botched the initial lift of the cup by Barkov
I try not to criticize the ESPN broadcasts too much, but they have certainly had some major mistakes in their coverage, like this, having a furniture store desk in Edmonton, no dedicated post game show just straight to SVP talking about basketball for 30 minutes before showing highlights of the game.

They have some great on air talent, Bob Wischusen has emerged this season as their best play-by-play voice IMO, Sean McDonough who called the finals is also very good, Ray Ferraro and Emily Kaplan are both excellent! And I think their intermission trio of Steve Leavy, Messier, and Subban are good too. They just need to raise the production standards of their hockey broadcasts to match the talent of their on air teams, and I hope that starts coming together for them soon.

That said I do hope next time we win the Cup, it’s a year where TNT has the final on their networks, as they have the superior coverage across the board for hockey.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
I don't get that take at all. Reveling in any way in an individual award moments after the team you captained lost the team tourney would be the wrong move imo. Skip the presentation, and put out a tweet or statement later showing appreciation for the honor but doubling commitment to winning the team award.
I don't really care either way I was really just trying to point out the hypocrisy in Dizee's post, which I know is a waste of time

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Now that Wings had to pay a 2nd to dump Walman, can we stop complaining that we gave him away? We have made some poor choices on defense, but Leddy was and is huge upgrade over Walman.
What about Dunn? Perunovich
What about Pietro? Faulk
What about Mikkola? Scandella

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
What about Dunn? Perunovich
What about Pietro? Faulk
What about Mikkola? Scandella
Everyone knows Dunn is better than Peru and Petro better than Faulk. I don't think that was ever the issue. Miko we didn't have strong enough group around him to hide his weaknesses like Florida did.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
One rumor out there is off-ice issues, which I seriously doubt.

The 2nd that Detroit gave up is Tampa Bay's at #53; Wings still have their own. Another idea or rumor is that Yzerman is planning something bigger.

In other news, P Kane to Stars???

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Why did the Wings also pay a 2nd to get rid of Walman? Something doesn’t seem right, there.

I agree. He was hurt last several games. I hypothesized in another thread that it could potentially hamper him long term. If he'd miss half the season, Detroit might want to get someone else with more certainty. No clue if this is possible. I don't know what his injury was. I'm just speculating.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Seems odd, they probably could have just placed him on waivers and I would bet more than a few teams would put in a claim

That's what I thought. Some wings fans on the trade board are wondering if off ice issues caused him to be in the doghouse. Regardless, you'd think Stevie could have found a better deal elsewhere. That makes me think he needed to get this deal done before the draft so I bet we'll see Detroit make a fairly big trade between now and the end of the weekend.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Lmao what? So because he only cares about the Stanley Cup since it’s a team award, rather than an individual award for himself, that means he’s a baby?

Think you have that backwards. He wanted to just be in the locker room with his team that he is the captain of. I don’t blame him for not wanting to go out there and awkwardly accept a trophy in front of a booing crowd after he just suffered the most heartbreaking loss of his career. What do you expect him to do, go smile and take pictures with it?

Sadly I agree with you on something but there are fans that actually like him and wanted to see him get recognition for his playoff performance.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
I agree. He was hurt last several games. I hypothesized in another thread that it could potentially hamper him long term. If he'd miss half the season, Detroit might want to get someone else with more certainty. No clue if this is possible. I don't know what his injury was. I'm just speculating.
I think it had to be either: 1) there really are future considerations at play here from SJ; 2) an injury that Detroit is herworried about longterm; or 3) off/ice issues. I’m having a veBut y haI d time beiurv
That's what I thought. Some wings fans on the trade board are wondering if off ice issues caused him to be in the doghouse. Regardless, you'd think Stevie could have found a better deal elsewhere. That makes me think he needed to get this deal done before the draft so I bet we'll see Detroit make a fairly big trade between now and the end of the weekend.
but how is this trade a prerequisite to any big trade that Yzerman may have in store? I don’t get it - it gave them an additional 3.4 mil of space that they don’t need right now for a big trade
I don’t buy it; what does this trade accomplish that’s necessarily for a bigger trade? They have tons of cap space for a big trade. They could have unloaded walman without giving up a 2nd. Something else is wrong - either injury issues or off-ice, IMO.

You can disregard my mumbo jumbo above and just focus on my last paragraph. This site is causing issues today!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad