Around the NHL 2022-2023 *Mod warning in effect pg145

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Am I going to be the only one tuning in to watch what I hope to be Vegas face-planting out the gates to start the season with their de-facto starter of -checks notes- Logan Thompson and his 20 career starts?

As an aside, kind of curious how the Kings trend this year, as they've basically moved on from most of their older players (only Quick, Kopitar, Doughty and Edler left over age 30 now).

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
The terrible thing about this thread is that the people ready to destroy Coles life over an anonymous social media post are the same people that serve on the jury. It's no wonder why verdicts come out so f***ing terrible.

Reactions: Frenzy31

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
Am I going to be the only one tuning in to watch what I hope to be Vegas face-planting out the gates to start the season with their de-facto starter of -checks notes- Logan Thompson and his 20 career starts?

As an aside, kind of curious how the Kings trend this year, as they've basically moved on from most of their older players (only Quick, Kopitar, Doughty and Edler left over age 30 now).
if quick is their starter all year, i suspect just missing the playoffs. petersen can't seem to take the starting reigns despite quick slowing down. doughty being healthy should offset that though quite a bit.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012

if quick is their starter all year, i suspect just missing the playoffs. petersen can't seem to take the starting reigns despite quick slowing down. doughty being healthy should offset that though quite a bit.
The playoffs for them last year were all gravy too considering where they were expecting to be. Having Doughty back will certainly help them too. As @BlueOil says, the goaltending is biggest key/question mark for them. If either Quick can put together another good enough season, and/or Petersen can establish himself as a true #1 caliber guy.

Brockon

Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
The playoffs for them last year were all gravy too considering where they were expecting to be. Having Doughty back will certainly help them too. As @BlueOil says, the goaltending is biggest key/question mark for them. If either Quick can put together another good enough season, and/or Petersen can establish himself as a true #1 caliber guy.
I feel better about the King's goaltending than I do about Vegas' setup going into the season.

Got to admit, I'm curious to see what Eichel gives Vegas with a relatively healthy roster... But I'm really hoping to see the mercenary organization stumble to start the season (and miss the playoffs again this year).

Edit:
On the LA front, they've got Durzi and Clarke on the RD that should be trying to steal PP time from Doughty - I expect to see Doughty move more into a shutdown/mentor role based on the 2 young RD's draft profiles and development curves post draft. Both are supposedly all around PMD with offensive flair - I'd expect Durzi to be the 2RD and try to pry away those top line minutes and some 5v5 time from Doughty.

I've got both kids as prospects in my dynasty league, I've got a keen interest in watching them grow.

Last edited:

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I feel better about the King's goaltending than I do about Vegas' setup going into the season.

Got to admit, I'm curious to see what Eichel gives Vegas with a relatively healthy roster... But I'm really hoping to see the mercenary organization stumble to start the season (and miss the playoffs again this year).
It's fascinating to contrast and compare Vegas and Seattle

Vegas has gambled the farm and to this point lost. I think a lot of their push for the biggest name on the market at the expense of the future comes from ownership, so that's something that doesn't change easy. But if they have another rough year it starts to lead toward seeing some larger front office changes, because they're also on coach #3 in what 5-6 years?

While Seattle is really sticking with building their organization through drafting. They've maintained a good amount of cap space, drafted well, and have stockpiled picks. While it does lead to slightly less success in the short term, in a few years when the core of prospects is assembled led already by Beniers, and Wright, and supplemented by free agents brought in with the cap space they will be a formidable team.

Brockon

Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
It's fascinating to contrast and compare Vegas and Seattle

Vegas has gambled the farm and to this point lost. I think a lot of their push for the biggest name on the market at the expense of the future comes from ownership, so that's something that doesn't change easy. But if they have another rough year it starts to lead toward seeing some larger front office changes, because they're also on coach #3 in what 5-6 years?

While Seattle is really sticking with building their organization through drafting. They've maintained a good amount of cap space, drafted well, and have stockpiled picks. While it does lead to slightly less success in the short term, in a few years when the core of prospects is assembled led already by Beniers, and Wright, and supplemented by free agents brought in with the cap space they will be a formidable team.
It would be really interesting to see what would have happened in an alternate timeline had Vegas not gotten into the playoffs in their inaugural season and had instead kept their assets instead of spending them.

Suzuki, Krebs and then the multiple 1sts and 2nds they've traded away (plus those picks being much higher in the draft).

Vegas had such a nice stable if prospects and picks they just kind of threw away chasing glory.

Reactions: mk80

ValHaller

May 23, 2022
St. Louis, MO
For all Lehner's faults, he's a starting goaltender in the NHL and the only reason Vegas is in a bad spot is because he's injured. Vegas has a playoff caliber skater corps. The team has been constructed to serve its purpose of being competitive and it's been successful when the team is not injured like last season. The future may not look too great once the bigger pieces have aged out, but Eichel is 25 years old and signed for a while longer. I don't have any problems with the team they're icing now as it relates to what the ownership group has strived to do. I can't see why anybody else in the org would either.

Brockon

Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
For all Lehner's faults, he's a starting goaltender in the NHL and the only reason Vegas is in a bad spot is because he's injured. Vegas has a playoff caliber skater corps. The team has been constructed to serve its purpose of being competitive and it's been successful when the team is not injured like last season. The future may not look too great once the bigger pieces have aged out, but Eichel is 25 years old and signed for a while longer. I don't have any problems with the team they're icing now as it relates to what the ownership group has strived to do. I can't see why anybody else in the org would either.
I think ownership is relatively happy with their initial success - but the way the organization has treated "valued" contributors like Galant, Fleury and Dadonov not extending basic courteous behaviour like a trade notification, confirmation of NTC or stranding a guy at the rink, instead of providing transportation home after being fired on the road?

I despise the way the organization treats its own. I laugh at their continued self imposed cap problems they've brought upon themselves by chasing the biggest shiny name without regards for cap implications (Stone Eichel, Pacioretty and Pietrangelo) forcing them into bad trades or to shed pieces for far below market value (see Patches, Fleury and Schmidt).

I think the maneuvers Vegas has made is going to cost them when the wheels fall off, as players have seen they aren't treated with much respect if they don't have NMCs and the organization doesn't do due diligence with NTCs... They're going to be hard pressed to attract new pieces when they fall off.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I think ownership is relatively happy with their initial success - but the way the organization has treated "valued" contributors like Galant, Fleury and Dadonov not extending basic courteous behaviour like a trade notification, confirmation of NTC or stranding a guy at the rink, instead of providing transportation home after being fired on the road?
Well technically that was Florida that did that to Gallant. Unless I missed something similar Vegas did to someone else?

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
But your team's line-up includes the depth that you have to DEAL with the injuries. They've depleted depth to the point that their roster is too brittle. They can't weather injuries as well as deeper teams. That's a choice. Sure, a fully healthy line-up looks like a playoff team. But what team has the luxury of icing a healthy line-up most nights?

I think they'll probably make the playoffs this year, but it won't be easy. And its in large part because their division is still weak.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
both of these teams are losers who rely on the refs to hold their hands

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I understand why the digital board ads exist. $$$$

But they look terrible, and when there is a board battle it sticks and arms will get clipped out by the ads like an EASports game!

Brockon

Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Well technically that was Florida that did that to Gallant. Unless I missed something similar Vegas did to someone else?
You're right, I got the team mixed up wrt the cab incident...

Still not a fan of how the upper echelons run Vegas. But, I guess I need to keep the facts straight. Sigh...

Reactions: mk80

ToniJ1960

Feb 18, 2009
1) We don't even know that it is a woman. A guy can very easily create an anonymous twitter account with a female name.
3) Those stats don't apply. There is no evidence she reported it to the police which is what the studies measure. The percentage of assaults reported to the police that were false, not the percentage of random accusations.
4) No, they suspended him in order to start an internal investigation. There was nothing in the statement to indicate they had even started it.

Lies, damn lies, and statistics. People use statistics all the time to obfuscate when they don't bother to actually explain what the statistics are measuring. It is important to provide context when using statistics and to show how the statistics apply to the particular situation you are addressing. Here they do not apply.
Maybe read it again #1 will be more clear. Then hopefully you edit this and fix the misinformation you started due to poor reading comprehension.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Maybe read it again #1 will be more clear. Then hopefully you edit this and fix the misinformation you started due to poor reading comprehension.

No I comprehended it fine. He assumed that because the twitter post claimed to be from a woman, that it factual was. We do not know this for certain. The accuser claims to be female, but you can claim anything on the internet. It happens all the time with cat-fishing schemes where men pretend to be women online.. Anyone with a grudge against Cole, male, female or otherwise, could have written that post.

I didn't spread misinformation because I literally did not spread any information. I merely pointed out that we don't know for sure the posters gender.

Reactions: TK 421

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Preds already at 2-0, picking up four points from the Sharks.
Rangers will have three games completed before the Blues take the ice on Saturday.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Vegas has gambled the farm and to this point lost.
I don't agree. They have made 3 trips to the Conference Final and a trip to the Cup Final. Two of the three conference final trips have taken place over the last 3 seasons. That's more success in 5 years than the large majority of teams have seen over the last decade. They had the 6th-highest average attendance last year and their tickets are not cheap. Despite initial concerns that their building would just be a tourist attraction full of mostly visiting fans, they quickly build a large local fanbase.

I don't think 1 year of missing the playoffs in an injury-riddled season means that they have lost their gamble.

I don't like the decisions Vegas has made trading tons of futures for short term pieces, but I think the 'disrespect' of players has been overblown.

They stopped keeping Fleury's agent in the loop regarding trade destinations because he started calling the potential teams and telling them that Fleury would retire if he got traded there. I don't know whether this was a bluff or whether he was genuinely considering retirement. Either way, Fleury's agent was actively trying to prevent a trade with the info that they were sharing with him. All of this came a year after the same agent posted an illustration of a bloody sword labeled 'Deboer' being plunged through Fleury's back. I've got zero problem with an agent doing everything he can to further his client's interest, but it is ridiculous to ignore that stuff while saying that the team owed him more basic courtesy. Basic courtesy was being weaponized against the team, so the team stopped offering it.

I put the Dadonov thing much, much more on Ottawa and the NHL than I do on Vegas. Central Registry's position at the time Vegas received Dadonov was that he didn't have trade protection in 2021/22. If the league tells a team 'that player doesn't have a valid no trade clause' then I can't blame a team for trusting that.

The Gallant thing was Florida, not Vegas. Gallant also clarified that the team called a car service for him but he just wanted to get the hell out of there ASAP and got a cab instead.

Again, I think Vegas has made some large missteps chasing aging top-end talent at the expense of the future. But I find their mercenary reputation to be overblown. 3 guys on their roster have full NMCs and another 7 guys have modified NTCs. Every agent in the league knows that NTCs and NMCs are how teams demonstrate loyalty. Anyone in the business of hockey who claims otherwise is either lying to drive a narrative or won't be long for the business of hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad