Around the NHL 2022-2023 *Mod warning in effect pg145

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
The only time bridge deals don't work is with shit GM's.
the underappreciated part of the kyrou and thomas bridge deals is not only did we get them for 2 years at well below their value, we basically bought the 10 best years of each of their career for $70mm. That is far better value than these teams signing guys to 8x8 (or higher) right out of ELC.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
the underappreciated part of the kyrou and thomas bridge deals is not only did we get them for 2 years at well below their value, we basically bought the 10 best years of each of their career for $70mm. That is far better value than these teams signing guys to 8x8 (or higher) right out of ELC.
Or singling guys to that at 30+

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I think we could see some dip from Kyrou in the last couple years. His game is build so much around speed that I could see his prime closing on/around his 30th birthday. However, by 2029 the cap should be well over $100M and $8.125M for a top 6 (but not fantastic) guy will certainly be manageable. I've gone from "fine" with the Kyrou contract to actively liking it. I like the Thomas contract as much as I can like an 8 year deal. Every long term deal carries risk, but I think the overall level of risk in these two deals is pretty damn low on a long-term outlook.

I'm excited about a Thomas/Kyrou core for the entirety of the 2020s. In the mid-2010s we centered the roster aroung big money/term extensions to Petro and Tarasenko. Petro and Tarasenko's deals were staggered, but there was a 5 year period where the two overlapped. They combined for $14M against the cap. The cap sat at $71.5M in that first overlap year and was $81.5M in the final year of overlap. So those two combined for 19.5% of the cap in 2015/16 and 17.2% of the cap by the final year together. In year 1 of the Thomas/Kyrou extension era, they will combine for 19.7% of the cap, but that will be down to (around) 17.7% of the cap by year 3. Then there will be 5 more seasons where the cap percentage will continue to tick downward.

At some point in the 2020s, there is going to be pain as some of the other long term deals are returning very negative value and have to be dealt with. Army's greatest challenge will be maneuvering around those. But these two contracts will offer a good foundation to build around even if neither of Kyrou/Thomas takes the next step we are hoping for.

Getting the 24-31 and 25-32 age seasons out of Thomas and Kyrou at a combined 19.7% (and falling) of the cap is excellent value that gets even better when you recognize that we got them at below a combined 7% of the cap for two years after their ELCs.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
But these two contracts will offer a good foundation to build around even if neither of Kyrou/Thomas takes the next step we are hoping for.
If they both don't take the next step, I'm not convinced they will be a good foundation to build around.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018

Yikes!

Wonder if the NHL team (and interaction with NHL teammates) she's referring to was during his Blues/Peoria period.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis

Yikes!

Wonder if the NHL team (and interaction with NHL teammates) she's referring to was during his Blues/Peoria period.

Considering she called out the Lightning and not the Blues I feel secure in believing this was not during his time with the Blues.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Considering she called out the Lightning and not the Blues I feel secure in believing this was not during his time with the Blues.
She clearly stated it was earlier in Cole’s career so it would have been during his Blues or Penguins days.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018

She mentioned it took her years to come forward. Cole signed with the Lightning this offseason, so it's about one of his earlier teams. As BlueDream said probably the Penguins, Blues (or the Blue Jackets).

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
No matter the time frame of when this is being said to have happened, this is an extremely serious allegation that should and needs to be thoroughly investigated. It’s certainly going to be a shit show for the league.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
A common denominator is these type of allegations seem to be that they took place years before and that there isn't much in the way of evidence. Just her word which frankly isn't enough for me. If it was so important then you would think she would have brought it up sooner. I don't care about your feelings or how long it took you to come to grips with them, you look suspect as hell waiting years to make allegations. Of course these days all you have to do is make an accusation and let the court of public opinion do your dirty work for you, you don't need to win in court.

Oh and when you make part of your statement a condemnation of the entire NHL as having a mysoginistic culture that promotes the alleged behavior your motivation becomes crystal clear. That whole spiel sounds like an activist wrote it, not some "victim". It reads like an emotional manipulation designed to smear not just Ian Cole, but the entire NHL.

But you can't contradict the victim narrative, watch how quick my post gets removed simply for presenting a different take.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Not even sure I fully understand what this individual is alleging. Are they alleging rape, statutory rape, shitty misogynistic behavior, or something else? Manipulating a teenager that is legally an adult into performing sexual acts is 100% f***ed up but very different from sexually abusing a child.

Like, the post throws around terms like "teenager" and "in high school" and "sexual abuse/assault" but doesn't specify a whole lot. Claiming that pressuring someone into sex is equal to sexual assault...IDK, I'm not a lawyer, but that seems off to me. :dunno:

Reactions: Punished ROR

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Not even sure I fully understand what this individual is alleging. Are they alleging rape, statutory rape, shitty misogynistic behavior, or something else? Manipulating a teenager that is legally an adult into performing sexual acts is 100% f***ed up but very different from sexually abusing a child.

Like, the post throws around terms like "teenager" and "in high school" and "sexual abuse/assault" but doesn't specify a whole lot. Claiming that pressuring someone into sex is equal to sexual assault...IDK, I'm not a lawyer, but that seems off to me. :dunno:
I assume the tweet is alleging all of the above. As for pressuring someone into sex, it can be sexual assault or rape. It depends on what is meant by pressure. Most jurisdictions it is illegal to coerce someone into sexual relations through threats or drugs and alcohol. Basically, forcing someone to change their mind from a no to a yes through duress or through impairing their judgement in some way, is the same as never getting the yes.

That being said, it is not a compelling accusation to me. I respect a person wanting to protect their own identity. But I just cannot take a message on a burner social media account with 1 message very seriously. If the person had gone to the police or a reporter and were being kept anonymous, that is different. At least someone could have verified some of the details of the story matched up. It's terrible if the person really suffered through this, and they really just want to keep their identity private. I believe in innocence into proven guilty and the right to confront your accusers too much to lend any credence to unproven anonymous accusations.

fcpremix88

Mar 9, 2007
Tampa
For those who don’t want to read the tweet:

The allegation is that Ian Cole pursued an underage high schooler. He manipulated, had sex with (which is automatically rape), and has done this with other underage high schoolers. He also told teammates of his actions in explicit detail.

I’m glad the Lightning are suspending him to investigate it further. I’m not getting my pitchfork out, but I’m glad the league is taking it seriously.

And if all of this is true, it would be especially sad if the Blues players were the ones who knew about it and did nothing.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'm surprised and not surprised by the reaction of so many when it's an anonymous account with no details that could lead to verification on a brand new account. That doesn't mean it's false, but everyone just running with the it's true until it's proven otherwise is a bit weird to me.

I'd give a hell of a lot more credit to the story if the alleged victim reached out to someone like Rick Westhead, and some basic details were verified. Is this person real and who they allege to be, even just that. I don't think the victim should have to out themselves, but that's what the journalists are for in cases like this.

If he's guilty of a crime, he should get the punishment for it, but literally anyone can create a twitter account, write a statement, and tag the NHL and a team to get it to go viral.

Punished ROR

a hero denied by hortons
Jul 3, 2006
The allegation is that Ian Cole pursued an underage high schooler. He manipulated, had sex with (which is automatically rape),
Well, that’s not exactly clear. She left out her actual age when she met Cole, relying on words and phrases like “minor” and “teenager in high school” to do the heavy lifting.

But a minor/teenager in high school can be considered legally competent to consent to sex with an adult, depending on the age of consent laws in the state where this happened (which is another important detail she left out).

Given that this accusation looks to me like it was professionally written, I lean towards those omissions being intentional and intended for maximum effect. JMO though.

Reactions: Xerloris and TK 421

ValHaller

May 23, 2022
St. Louis, MO
The response here differs vastly from other social media sites, as usual, and I credit HF having a competent moderation team with integrity for that.

The allegations are written in such a way as to minimize risk to the accuser while attempting to gain as much leverage as possible over Cole. Unfortunately, without any skin in the game, the allegations hold no water and will not until the situation changes. The team is doing its own investigation into it, and maybe the claims will be substantiated. Only then is it appropriate to tar and feather Cole for this. It is also true, however, that there is a lot of ambiguity which could be interpreted as Cole having made a moral error, not a legal one.

Basically a nothingburger until the situation changes.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
For those who don’t want to read the tweet:

The allegation is that Ian Cole pursued an underage high schooler. He manipulated, had sex with (which is automatically rape), and has done this with other underage high schoolers. He also told teammates of his actions in explicit detail.

I’m glad the Lightning are suspending him to investigate it further. I’m not getting my pitchfork out, but I’m glad the league is taking it seriously.

And if all of this is true, it would be especially sad if the Blues players were the ones who knew about it and did nothing.

A 17 year old is a minor, most likely is in high school, and is old enough to legally consent in the state of Missouri. It is creepy and wrong for a mid-20s celebrity to be grooming and sleeping with a 17 year old, but it is not illegal per se (ie It's not automatically rape if she is 17 in MO). In some states, 16 is old enough to consent. It is not definitively stated in what jurisdiction this took place. Nothing in the allegation definitively states the alleged victim was younger than that jurisdicition's legal age of consent when they had sex. It is insinuated, but never outright stated that she was under the legal age of consent.

And that is part of the problem. In the American judicial system, the accused have a constitutional right to confront their accusers. You can't confront an anonymous tweet. You can't push for more details or catch the tweet in a lie. It's impossible to prove a negative. How can you prove you never, ever did something if there is no time and place listed. I'd hope people would believe me because of my character, but that is not definite proof. I cannot provide an alibi, because there is no time or place to show I was somewhere else.

I am glad its being investigated, but until we have all the details, I have zero opinion on his guilt or innocence, Unless the accuser comes forward, I doubt enough details will ever surface. But because of the times we live in, this will forever stain his reputation whether it happened or not.

Last edited:

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Makes the Ian Cole trade look a lot better.

Hopefully it happened after his time as a Blues player but if not, hopefully the Blues didn't know and ignore it.

Not surprised that there are people here with their head in the sand

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Makes the Ian Cole trade look a lot better.

Hopefully it happened after his time as a Blues player but if not, hopefully the Blues didn't know and ignore it.

Not surprised that there are people here with their head in the sand
Waiting for more facts to come out = having your head in the sand?

What a ridiculous comment. Since you know everything that happened here, why don’t you explain it to us?

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Waiting for more facts to come out = having your head in the sand?

What a ridiculous comment. Since you know everything that happened here, why don’t you explain it to us?
Oh man, I see the first strawman wasn't enough so you kept going for another. But I'll answer nonetheless.
If it was so important then you would think she would have brought it up sooner.
Statements like this are having your head in the sand. Acting like a woman has to immediately report sexual assault or else it isn't important is remarkably ignorant.

TK 421

Sep 12, 2007
Oh man, I see the first strawman wasn't enough so you kept going for another. But I'll answer nonetheless.

Statements like this are having your head in the sand. Acting like a woman has to immediately report sexual assault or else it isn't important is remarkably ignorant.

Oh I'M the one with my head in the sand? Yes, if she wants her claim to be taken seriously it needs to be made immediately. Not YEARS after the fact and providing no evidence while ignoring due process. Remarkably ignorant indeed.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Oh I'M the one with my head in the sand? Yes, if she wants her claim to be taken seriously it needs to be made immediately. Not YEARS after the fact and providing no evidence while ignoring due process. Remarkably ignorant indeed.
That's such bullshit and we've seen over the last few years tons of women come forth with completely legitimate accusations that were not immediately reported. Reports shouldn't need to be made immediately.

TK 421

Sep 12, 2007
That's such bullshit and we've seen over the last few years tons of women come forth with completely legitimate accusations that were not immediately reported. Reports shouldn't need to be made immediately.

Yeah they should if you want them taken seriously. Your anecdotal evidence is worth as much as mine if I were to point out examples of false allegations. It's a cowardly way to do it on social media, there is a process which she ignored in favor of just throwing him at the court of public opinion.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Yeah they should if you want them taken seriously. Your anecdotal evidence is worth as much as mine if I were to point out examples of false allegations. It's a cowardly way to do it on social media, there is a process which she ignored in favor of just throwing him at the court of public opinion.
Sweet. Then let's go past anecdotes and turn to statistics. What percentage of sexual assault claims are false?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad