Around the NHL 2022-2023 *Mod warning in effect pg145

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Yikes.

Just looked up the SPHL standings. Vermillion County has 4 wins on the season. This has all the makings of a team folding mid-season IMO.
They folded today apparently. In the past year and a half they were in the SPHL they have a 9-70-7 record with 10 different head coaches(they have more head coaches than they have franchise wins), they have less than 400 fans in attendance, and they have 18 players on their roster (8F, 8D, 2G).

Edit:

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
They folded today apparently. In the past year and a half they were in the SPHL they have a 9-70-7 record with 10 different head coaches(they have more head coaches than they have franchise wins), they have less than 400 fans in attendance, and they have 18 players on their roster (8F, 8D, 2G).

Edit:

Thanks for digging into what happened. Not a good look at all for the SPHL.

I had forgotten how good of a reporter Eminian is. He does good work.

And I’ve always been surprised that little Danville IL keeps getting relatively high level hockey teams. Back when I lived not too far from there they had a NAHL team. Then USHL. And then I learned yesterday they apparently had a SPHL team for 1.5 seasons. None of it ever worked. It’s a town of ~ 30k people. I’m not sure who keeps thinking that town can support a hockey team but clearly it can’t.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010

And I’ve always been surprised that little Danville IL keeps getting relatively high level hockey teams. Back when I lived not too far from there they had a NAHL team. Then USHL. And then I learned yesterday they apparently had a SPHL team for 1.5 seasons. None of it ever worked. It’s a town of ~ 30k people. I’m not sure who keeps thinking that town can support a hockey team but clearly it can’t.

sounds like a shoresy situation to me

proxy-image
proxy-image

Last edited:

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006

Meet the Owner & CEO of the Vermilion County Bobcats.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
The league has to close this LTIR loophole where teams are way over the cap in the playoffs. Every lineup should have to fit under the cap in the playoffs. I’ll bet Landeskog suffers another “setback” in his rehab and they “decide to keep him on LTIR until the playoffs to be safe.” Id also bet my car that Mark Stone is dressed game one of the playoffs.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
The league has to close this LTIR loophole where teams are way over the cap in the playoffs. Every lineup should have to fit under the cap in the playoffs. I’ll bet Landeskog suffers another “setback” in his rehab and they “decide to keep him on LTIR until the playoffs to be safe.” Id also bet my car that Mark Stone is dressed game one of the playoffs.
Stone? Yea maybe he will, but his injuries have piled up over the last 3 years. This isn't like the Kane situation where we thought he wouldn't be ready till mid playoffs and instead came back for game one, this is something that keeps nagging Stone. Same thing with Pacioretty.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013

Yes, Eminian is really good. I’m also a Bradley basketball fan, and he took over that beat from another good reporter that covered them for decades, and he jumped right in and does an effective job there too. I know his passion is hockey, though. I’d dare say he’s a better reporter than what we have on the Blues beat, and it’s a shame how things have gone for the Peoria Rivermen over the years.

As for Danville, not only is the population low, it’s not exactly loaded with money either.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis

I hate it as much as you but Stone literally just had back surgery again.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
The Rangers/Flames game got unexpectedly heated. I started the night watching 3 games at once, but I was dialed into just that game pretty early.

Blais got a great hit on Lucic that kicked off a big scrum. I'd still make the Buch trade 100 times out of 100, but boy do I still love Sammy Blais.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
All three of the monster hits (Blais then Trouba twice) came against guys with their head down looking at the puck. I'd really like to get back to the type of NHL where if people are looking down, or trying some pirouette BS in the middle of the ice, there's a chance they get blown into next week (CLEAN OF COURSE for all you damn Neanderthals). I don't want head trauma, but I like physicality.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
They thought it wasa hit to the head and he was given a 5, they reviewed it and deemed it a clean hit and he ended with no penalty at all.
Perfect example in support of video review for some penalties.

I can't fault a ref one bit for calling that in real time. It was a blindside/lateral hit and there was no way either ref could get an unobstructed view of the initial point of contact. You can see Blais extend his arm upward through contact and you can see Lucic's head violently snap backwards. The difference between 'no-doubt-penalty' and 'clean hit' is just a few inches on a play like that. It is unreasonable to expect any on-ice official to accurately see and process whether that is a clean or dirty hit.

I'm not a huge fan of video review in a lot of cases, but I think it is absolutely a good thing for plays like this. The league just can't functionally straddle the line between outlawing headshots and allowing open ice hits through the body without a review mechanism. The game is simply too fast and properly positioned refs are too screened to reliably make that call in real time.

Good on Blais for getting low enough to avoid the head, good on the Flames for responding, good on the league for giving refs the tools to get it right, and then good on the refs for getting it right.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Dallas looks to be clear top team in the West. Edmonton and Colorado couid certainly beat them, part If they make right moves, but West is fairly crappy and they look like class of it.

Reactions: Brian39
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad