Around the NHL 2022-2023 *Mod warning in effect pg145

Status
Not open for further replies.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Stone out indefinitely with back surgery, its officially a Sellers Market

Bozak curse continues for Mark Stone. Hey Mark remember when you assaulted an unsuspecting Tyler Bozak behind the play in what was clearly a non hockey act and Bozak got injured as a result? Pepperidge Farm remembers and so do we, enjoy your back surgery buddeh.

PJJJP

Dec 2, 2021
This will be Stone's second back surgery in a little over a years time. He got surgery end of last season and now again. Those are tricky injuries and I think the days of Stone being an elite player are soon to be over

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
This will be Stone's second back surgery in a little over a years time. He got surgery end of last season and now again. Those are tricky injuries and I think the days of Stone being an elite player are soon to be over
He’s signed for 4 more years after this one at $9.5 with a full NMC and big signing bonus money. Vegas better pray to the hockey gods he can come back and still be an effective player or this could hamstring their entire franchise.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Makes it a sellers market, too bad they have a terrible prospect pool. They are probably more likely to move a 1st though.

PJJJP

Dec 2, 2021
Makes it a sellers market, too bad they have a terrible prospect pool. They are probably more likely to move a 1st though.
Honestly I'd rather get their first. They seem to be sinking and it could net us a pick in the mid to late teens if they continue to fall. Trade them Tarasenko and hope they miss the playoffs or lose in the first round

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Stone out indefinitely with back surgery, its officially a Sellers Market
Mark Stone's back issues make me very sad for him as a person and player. This is his 2nd back surgery in less than a year and the last one removed a quarter-sized mass pressing against a disc. He's only 30 and it is looking more and more like this is going to be a lifelong issue. He was one of my favorite non-Blues players when he was in Ottawa, because I absolutely love a high-end defensive winger.

But in the cutthroat world of pro sports, this is good news for the Blues. Vegas has been in a free fall since he got hurt and they haven't been a high scoring team all season. I don't think that missing the playoffs for a 2nd straight year is acceptable to that owner and with just 10 weeks left in the regular season, there is basically no chance that Stone is ready to play again in the regular season. That means that they can put him on LTIR and free up $9.5M in cap space. That gives them over $12M of space to add.

Their window is this year and next. Maybe 2024/25 depending on how things go. Petro is 33, Martinez is 35, and McNabb is 32. Martinez and McNabb's deals expire in 2024 and 2025, but they are on good value deals and won't be extremely easy to replace. Theodore is due a huge raise in 2025. Stone and Karlsson are each 30 and locked up with some term. Stephenson is due a large raise in 2024. They have 2 and maybe 3 swings at a Cup before the runway ends on this group. There isn't much incentive to sit on picks/prospects right now.

They have all of their upcoming 1sts, their 2024 and 2025 2nds, all their 3rds and Buffalo's 2023 3rd. They don't have a great prospect pool, but they have a few guys with value. Time to try and pry some of those free.

Last edited:

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Mark Stone's back issues make me very sad for him as a person and player. This is his 2nd back surgery in less than a year and the last one removed a quarter-sized mass pressing against a disc. He's only 30 and it is looking more and more like this is going to be a lifelong issue. He was one of my favorite non-Blues players when he was in Ottawa, because I absolutely love a high-end defensive winger.

But in the cutthroat world of pro sports, this is good news for the Blues. Vegas has been in a free fall since he got hurt and they haven't been a high scoring team all season. I don't think that missing the playoffs for a 2nd straight year is acceptable to that owner and with just 10 weeks left in the regular season, there is basically no chance that Stone is ready to play again in the regular season. That means that they can put him on LTIR and free up $9.5M in cap space. That gives them over $12M of space to add.

Their window is this year and next. Maybe 2024/25 depending on how things go. Petro is 33, Martinez is 35, and McNabb is 32. Martinez and McNabb's deals expire in 2024 and 2025, but they are on good value deals and won't be extremely easy to replace. Theodore is due a huge raise in 2025. Stone and Karlsson are each 30 and locked up with some term. Stephenson is due a large raise in 2024. They have 2 and maybe 3 swings at a Cup before the runway ends on this group. There isn't much incentive to sit on picks/prospects right now.

They have their next all of their upcoming 1sts, their 2024 and 2025 2nds, all their 3rds and Buffalo's 2023 3rd. They don't have a great prospect pool, but they have a few guys with value. Time to try and pry some of those free.
Methinks it's karma for cheap shot on Bozak.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I have to say while I don't desire much from the Islanders roster in a trade, that Horvat deal was a nice one from the Canucks, the first round pick could is likely to end up being around the middle of the first round which is perfect in a deep draft like this.

Reactions: Cotton McKnight

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
The best thing about the Horvat trade is they didn’t take a team we were expecting to try and make an upgrade for a playoff run off the table (at least not most of us), while reducing a key higher profile trade target.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013

They have all of their upcoming 1sts, their 2024 and 2025 2nds, all their 3rds and Buffalo's 2023 3rd. They don't have a great prospect pool, but they have a few guys with value. Time to try and pry some of those free.

Yes, I would like to get a future 1st off them, limited to no conditions. Just as a fan, and a bias against them, it would be nice to have a tangible vested interest in their failure, quite honestly. They also seem to operate with an eye towards the now through their short history, so it makes you wonder if there is an exploit opportunity.

Dr Robot

Nov 3, 2011
Horvat is a 55 point player. He will be 35 when the last season of it starts. He won't be worth 8.5mil on year 1, year 8 is going to be brutal. That's in the running for worst contract in the league, though I think Nurse still has it beat.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Horvat is a 55 point player. He will be 35 when the last season of it starts. He won't be worth 8.5mil on year 1, year 8 is going to be brutal. That's in the running for worst contract in the league, though I think Nurse still has it beat.
I don't think this is a fair evaluation at all. Outside of the 3 years of his ELC, he has played at a 64 point per 82 games pace. He is having a career year so far, and he may never replicate this performance in goals or points, but he is 27 which is generally considered entering the prime of one's career as a forward. He may not be worth it at the end, and it is certainly more than I would want to see the team that I cheer for pay him, but he is more likely to be an 80+ point player for the first five years of the deal as he is to be a 55 point player starting his decline in my opinion.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
Discussion from the previous page resolved ... Islanders extend Horvat at 8x8.5 and this helps our market
It'll be interesting if ROR returns a 1st when it's all said and done...I think Toronto has always made the most sense but there's a lot of speculation a 1st for a pure rental isn't likely. Not sure if the Horvat situation necessarily helps our market for ROR (probably the best pure C that will be available) because of the age difference and the fact that it's now clear NYI was willing to part with some decent futures b/c they wanted to lock up Horvat long-term. I think we'll need a more desperate team than TOR to come along at the deadline...(though I think TOR is making a mistake if they don't plan on adding to that woefully thin forward core).

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I don't think this is a fair evaluation at all. Outside of the 3 years of his ELC, he has played at a 64 point per 82 games pace. He is having a career year so far, and he may never replicate this performance in goals or points, but he is 27 which is generally considered entering the prime of one's career as a forward. He may not be worth it at the end, and it is certainly more than I would want to see the team that I cheer for pay him, but he is more likely to be an 80+ point player for the first five years of the deal as he is to be a 55 point player starting his decline in my opinion.
I’d be shocked if he is an 80 point player over multiple years. He is basically Brayden Schenn on a heater this year.

Reactions: rumrokh

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
27 is most certainly not entering the prime of a forward. Forward production peaks around 23. 28-29 is the tail end of peak production for most players.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
27 is most certainly not entering the prime of a forward. Forward production peaks around 23. 28-29 is the tail end of peak production for most players.

is this true? When a player is drafted at 18, it takes him a few years to even get to the NHL. So 2 years later is his peak? Seems odd to me.

Reactions: MissouriMook

Dr Robot

Nov 3, 2011
is this true? When a player is drafted at 18, it takes him a few years to even get to the NHL. So 2 years later is his peak? Seems odd to me.

A few years ago 25/26 were players peak statistical years according to the stats someone ran. Apparently its closer to 24/25 now. Most players hit a major decline at age 31 and very few make it to 35. There are currently 44 players in the NHL 35 or older(if im doing the math on the dates right). Of those 44 roughly half are worth maybe 2mil or more. If you aren't a very very good player to begin with your career is over well before then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad