Around the NHL 2022-2023 *Mod warning in effect pg145

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
I wouldn't be surprised if they valued Tarasenko fairly highly. He has 41 career playoff goals (in 90 games played) and he had 6 of them in 2 rounds last year. He hasn't been as good this year as he was last year, but he's still scored at a 24 goal and 70 point pace.

They only have 5 every day forwards who have ever had a 20 goal NHL season (Matthews, Tavares, Nylander, Marner, and Bunting). They also have Wayne Simmonds, but he is pretty much washed and has just 5 goals in his last 82 NHL games. After those top 5 studs, the offensive firepower gets thin real fast. They are running their top 5 forwards into the ground because the other forwards aren't all that great. Their 6th most-used forward plays 15:15 a night. Our 6th most-used forward (Tarasenko) plays 17:29 a night.

Plunking a guy like Tarasenko on the 3rd line and 2nd PP unit would likely help their secondary scoring quite a bit.

I think either of ROR or Tarasenko could be appealing to them as their main deadline upgrade.

With that said, I bet Barby is very appealing as a secondary upgrade and they should absolutely be looking to add two forwards. With 50% retention, Barbie's cap hit is just $1.125M. That's not much above league minimum, so he's an upgrade that wouldn't require much (if any) cap creativity. If I'm Army, I set my asking price with Toronto at Knies + 1st for whichever of ROR or Tarasenko they like best (with 50% retained obviously). They aren't going to do that, but instead of negotiating down from our asking price, start including Barby (with 50% retained) in the deal.

Barby/Tarasenko was two-thirds of a pretty damn effective 2nd line last year and Barby was playing center on that line. There is a lot of appeal to just building a 3rd line around them. Barby/ROR haven't shown that same chemistry, but they could try Barby on the 2LW with Tavares/Marner and then make ROR the 3C with Jarnkrok and Engvall. Either way, the middle 6 should get way better at the cap cost of just a pro-rated $4.875M against the cap. They are going to have a tough time finding two acquisitions of that quality that combine for less than $5M against the cap. They can make the cap work on that by sending Kampf back to us as part of the deal (or Kerfoot or Engvall if they'd prefer) and running a 22 man roster after the deadline.

Bunting-Matthews-Nylander
Jarnkrok-Tavares-Marner
Engvall-Barby-Tarasenko

or

Bunting-matthews-Nylander
Barby-Tavares-Marner
Jarnkrok-ROR-Engvall

with Kerfoot as the 4C

Those are a couple legitimate looking 3rd lines that look a hell of a lot better than the McMann-Kampf-Engvall group they are running out there tonight.

If I'm Army, I'm pushing that narrative hard and asking for Knies+1st+Ottawa's 2023 3rd (or Toronto's 2024 2nd).

I gotta admit that paints a pretty optimistic picture and one I had not thought of. It would be interesting to see if that could happen.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I gotta admit that paints a pretty optimistic picture and one I had not thought of. It would be interesting to see if that could happen.
I literally first thought of packaging Barby into a deal with them while I was writing about Tarasenko. My first thought was if it would even be possible for Toronto to bring in ROR and Tarasenko in one blockbuster deal. I don't think it is, but then I remembered how little Barby makes against the cap and it just clicked how much sense that would make.

The downside is that it leaves us with only 1 retention slot. I'm not too worried about that though. We would use it to move whichever of ROR/Tarasenko wasn't moved to Toronto. Our other pending UFAs don't make too much, so I don't think it would limit the markets on them too much.

PJJJP

Dec 2, 2021
The Athletic had their tier rankings of the top 100 players. Thomas was in the 4A tier. Buch was in the 4B tier. Kyrou was taken off the list for some reason

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Watching Coyotes again. Chychrun ws kinda loosey goosey a couople games ago, but he made a terrific defensive play against a rushing forward 1-on-1.

This game against WSH is better, imo.

He seems quicker and has lots of jump, but he bangs his stick on the ice when he wants the puck.

It's annoying.

PJJJP

Dec 2, 2021
Mark stone still out with a lingering back Issue. He had back issues all last year and had surgery over the summer. If he is out for a while the west is even more wide open

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Watching Coyotes again. Chychrun ws kinda loosey goosey a couople games ago, but he made a terrific defensive play against a rushing forward 1-on-1.

This game against WSH is better, imo.

He seems quicker and has lots of jump, but he bangs his stick on the ice when he wants the puck.

It's annoying.
Parayko used to do that…when he had confidence to rush the puck up the ice.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Parayko used to do that…when he had confidence to rush the puck up the ice.
He still rushes the puck up ice. I just wish he would take it to the net more.

Like last night against the perds he had a 2-1 with Thomas (I think) after he rushed the puck up, but instead of crashing the net he passed the puck over and then peeled off so Thomas had no passing option and there was no possibility of Parayko finding a rebound cause he was already halfway to the corner.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
He still rushes the puck up ice. I just wish he would take it to the net more.

Like last night against the perds he had a 2-1 with Thomas (I think) after he rushed the puck up, but instead of crashing the net he passed the puck over and then peeled off so Thomas had no passing option and there was no possibility of Parayko finding a rebound cause he was already halfway to the corner.
It was Kyrou he was with. Kyrou and Thomas would have made that into a goal a large majority of the time, but due to Parayko backing off Kyrou lost the passing lane and was forced to make a pretty basic SOG. If Parayko would have kept with it he would have had a open net to score on due to Saros focusing solely on Kyrou.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I was more frustrated about how much Parayko telegraphed that he was going to pass the puck. I wan't Kyrou taking that shot instead of trying a touch pass to the back door back to a D man. But Saros was able to cheat toward Kyrou while the puck was still on Parayko's stick because it was obvious that Parayko had zero intention of ripping a shot there. In that situation, a pass with a quick shot from Kyrou should still be a grade A scoring chance. Parayko turned it into a grade B chance with the puck on his stick and then a B- or C chance by peeling off after the pass.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
I was more frustrated about how much Parayko telegraphed that he was going to pass the puck. I wan't Kyrou taking that shot instead of trying a touch pass to the back door back to a D man. But Saros was able to cheat toward Kyrou while the puck was still on Parayko's stick because it was obvious that Parayko had zero intention of ripping a shot there. In that situation, a pass with a quick shot from Kyrou should still be a grade A scoring chance. Parayko turned it into a grade B chance with the puck on his stick and then a B- or C chance by peeling off after the pass.
All true. Parayko cannot do any better than this at offensive playmaking. It's a significant limiting factor to his contributing ability

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Thank the lord, Avs are getting healthy again and should make the playoffs. I don't think I could handle them getting Bedard.
Especially with Minnesota struggling a bit lately, the Avs, could easily pass them up for 3rd in the West soon

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Glad Boudreau is out. Vancouver has a chance to turn this around. Maybe not this season, but the FO having their guy in place (Tocchet) will tuna that boat around.

PJJJP

Dec 2, 2021
I thought the Islanders could be buying but they look horrible these past couple weeks. Currently getting outshot 31-18 through the 2nd period by the Senators and losing 2-1. They look as bad as us

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Sitting in the 10th pick right now.

We are rooting for Detroit, Florida, NYI, Philly, Montreal, Ottawa, Vancouver and all the games between them to get to OT.

Reactions: Mike Liut

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I thought the Islanders could be buying but they look horrible these past couple weeks. Currently getting outshot 31-18 through the 2nd period by the Senators and losing 2-1. They look as bad as us
If they didn’t have Sorokin they’d be bottom 5 for sure. That’s not a very good team.

This caused me to look up up Sorokin’s career. His numbers in the KHL are just hysterical. 5 straight unbelievably dominant years with the highest GAA being 1.61. I know scoring in the KHL isn’t the same, but those numbers are still wild.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Merkey is interesting... They seem to have plenty of Offense from their D. Could be a move to facilitate another move? On maybe Byram isn't coming back this year.
A sign that we are officially entering Trade Deadline season. By no means anything blockbuster yet

Reactions: mk80

PJJJP

Dec 2, 2021
Lol the wild Flyers game has 6 people in the box right now. The first period isn't even over :popcorn:

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Bruins/Lightning has been great through two. Both teams playing really well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad