OT - NO POLITICS Autumn edition- foliage, cider doughnuts & pumpkin everything.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
My property can handle a category 1 maybe cat 2 - high end things get dicey ... cat 3 and beyond, it will be ugly.

Really watching the tracking of this storm, and I wish no harm on anyone, but I really hope it tracks south of Tampa or loses its strength to cat 1 or less before landfall.

This isn't good for anyone.
People trying to evacuate ... roads leading out of the area are bumper to bumper or very crowded. And there is no lodging available outside the projected path for hundreds of miles. Gas stations are running out of gas already today. And stores are running out or have run out of supplies. No link needed this is first hand boots on the ground personal experience and encounter today. Options are very limited for people. I live 80 - 90 miles north of Tampa and this is what we are experiencing in our area today. People are very nervous.
Sending you all the good vibes I’ve got. I’m glad people are taking it seriously. I’ve seen people going as far west as New Orleans to get away from this.

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
My property can handle a category 1 maybe cat 2 - high end things get dicey ... cat 3 and beyond, it will be ugly.

Really watching the tracking of this storm, and I wish no harm on anyone, but I really hope it tracks south of Tampa or loses its strength to cat 1 or less before landfall.

This isn't good for anyone.
People trying to evacuate ... roads leading out of the area are bumper to bumper or very crowded. And there is no lodging available outside the projected path for hundreds of miles. Gas stations are running out of gas already today. And stores are running out or have run out of supplies. No link needed this is first hand boots on the ground personal experience and encounter today. Options are very limited for people. I live 80 - 90 miles north of Tampa and this is what we are experiencing in our area today. People are very nervous.
Take care JAD. Keep us posted.

Bleached

Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate of shrimp
Oct 3, 2018
We are pretty much ready. It will probably be a cat 2 or so when it gets here.
Probably lose power for 3 or 4 days, because that's what always happens.

No need to evacuate, since it is coming across the state and not direct from the ocean.

Troublesome 85

TOP RANKED GIRL DAD
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
IMG_4128.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: BMC and JAD

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
A little perspective ...
If you were to draw a line from Homosassa springs to Daytona and divide the state of Florida in two ... the area above the line with Ocala, Gainesville, Jacksonville, Tallahassee, the pan handle and all of northern Florida has a population of approximately 3.6 million people. This section along with Georgia (next state up from Florida along with Alabama above pan handle) was just hit about 10 days ago by Hurricane Helene and is still recovering. The resources and lodging is still limited.

The area below the line with Tampa, Orlando, Miami, all the other destinations of central and south Florida has a population of 18 million people.

Hurricane Milton is tracking to make landfall somewhere around the Tampa area and possibly follow I4 across the state. Lets say there are 6 - 8 million people living in central florida. People are trying to evacuate but where are they going to go?

If they go south - deep south Florida is already very crowded. If the try and go north, as most do, north Florida and Georgia's resources are already spread thin due to the previous hurricane 10 days ago.
It's a mess as people's options and resources are limited. They can leave but they may travel 8, 10, 12 hours to find lodging and face gas shortages along the way due to the volume of traffic.

It's simply a mess. People's options are limited. They are anxious and frightened.

Me, I'm frustrated because I still have a few things to do to prepare, have to run to the store tomorrow (home depot or lowes) normally about 40 minutes away. But with traffic the way it is it could take 90 minutes one way. Then once I get there, there is no guarantee they will have what I need. My options are very limited.

• Wow
Reactions: BMC and Alicat

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
At some point I would think they'll need to make all lanes of I75 northbound. Evac traffic is already horrible
A girl I went to high school posted that they are under mandatory evacuations but because the roads are packed with no contra flow, she and her family are staying. I hope they open the other side so she and others can get out.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
A girl I went to high school posted that they are under mandatory evacuations but because the roads are packed with no contra flow, she and her family are staying. I hope they open the other side so she and others can get out.
Yeah, scary to stay in an evacuation zone. That's when you start hearing the sheriffs telling people to write their name and SSN in permanent marker on their arm.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Milton
60 miles NW of Progreso Mexico

650 miles SW of Tampa, Florida

Wind Speed180 mph
Min. Pressure 26.49" 897 mb <<<Wow
Heading E at 10 mph
Coordinates 21.9N

Currently...
Hurricane-force winds extend outward up to 30 miles (45 km) from the center and tropical-storm-force winds extend outward up to 80 miles (130 km).

This wind field is expected to weaken a little and expand greatly just before and as it makes landfall.
Very dangerous very scary situation.

Troublesome 85

TOP RANKED GIRL DAD
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
My 22 year old buddy keep responding to my hurricane update snaps saying “f*** a hurricane” and says nothing stops a hustle. He lives in an evacuation zone and has a small child. I hope hes kidding.

Troublesome 85

TOP RANKED GIRL DAD
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Not only does this hurricane have me anxious and stressed. But this new job. The last hurricane cut training short. Now with this one training cuz even shorter. Havent absorbed as much as I think I should nor do I think I have trained on enough dishes as I should have. Not only that but they have us learning like 20 things at once in a short time.

So dealing with self doubt and this hurricane. I know once I get rolling and learn/know everything ill be good.

I miss my girls too. Talk to my youngest everyday. Glad none of them live with their mom anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad