Around the NHL 2022-2023 *Mod warning in effect pg145

Status
Not open for further replies.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
If you're going to truly re-build, I think the logical conclusion is that it will include a re-vamping of the defense. In that case, I think you would see at least two of Krug, Parayko and Scandella moved, though I doubt Scandella has a market for anything other than equivalent dead money. I also think it is a given that both ROR and Tarasenko are traded by the deadline, even if we are just sellers and not re-building.

The biggest question to me is what do we do for the next 2-3 years. Do we use the abundant cap space from the sell-off to spend in free agency and accelerate the process of getting better, or do we simply invest in young talent and allow them to grow over the next 3-5 years? I don't believe that Stillman will be OK with a longer process in this market, so I expect he will want a shorter re-build using free agency and player development instead of just player development on its own.
IF the Blues do worse enough for a top 5 pick, the forward corps could be significantly revamped with the forward picked and a FA signing of Horvat to replace ROR. Unless that pick is Bedard or maybe Fantilli, there’s no guarantee that the player picked will play on next year’s squad though, so it’s still at least a 2 year revamp out of our forward corps. The D is a huge question mark as well.

Reactions: mk80

Frobbo

Feb 21, 2008
The only way I could see Parayko going to Edmonton is if Bouchard is coming back the other way. We would be giving up size and experience for a guy that has a ceiling of "Petro-lite" but if the Oilers feel Parayko is the missing piece I would probably do it, especially if we had a cap dump and a pick coming back the other way. I'd take Bouchard, Foegele and a 1st (maybe even the LTIR of Klefbom if that's helpful) for Parayko if we're still well out of the picture in a couple of months.
I think the Oilers see Bouchard as more of the missing piece than CP would be. No way they make that deal.

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
I don't think we should crucify 14 year olds for shitty behavior and never give them a chance to grow and change, but if you can't see that there are larger issues with this particular incident that than "wokeness PC culture" then I don't know what to tell you.
To some people, everything is the fault of woke pc culture. Did Miller lie as an adult about awful things he did as a kid in a naked attempt to get his career back on track? Well that's the woke police's fault, not poor 20 year old Mitch Miller.

I don't want him cancelled. I want him to show that he's a better person than he was as a 13 year old. By recently lying about what he did, I think he's closer to proving the opposite. It's a very low bar that he is refusing to clear.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
To some people, everything is the fault of woke pc culture. Did Miller lie as an adult about awful things he did as a kid in a naked attempt to get his career back on track? Well that's the woke police's fault, not poor 20 year old Mitch Miller.

I don't want him cancelled. I want him to show that he's a better person than he was as a 13 year old. By recently lying about what he did, I think he's closer to proving the opposite. It's a very low bar that he is refusing to clear.
The best part is that he is still on the books and the Bruins are still paying him.

lol

Reactions: BrokenFace

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Daniel Alfredsson in the HOF?

He was good, but I don’t get it.

The math is pretty standard. (Over 1000 career points) + (big contributor to Team hardware - Stanley cup or international play) + (individual accolades) = HoF

He has 1157 points, good for 56th all time. He led the Swedish National team in points when they won the Gold in the 06 Olympics. He won the Calder and had 6 All-star appearances, even having one All star team named after him for some reason I don't remember in 2012.

That is a borderline HOF career. If its a weak year, it gets you in. You can argue Turegon deserves it more with more points, but Turgeon doesn't have the Calder, as many All star games or any international success.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Be careful what you wish for about a rebuild. After a lot of early hype, the Sabres are still bad.

Aside from New Jersey, all the top teams are old, veteran rosters still.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
The math is pretty standard. (Over 1000 career points) + (big contributor to Team hardware - Stanley cup or international play) + (individual accolades) = HoF

He has 1157 points, good for 56th all time. He led the Swedish National team in points when they won the Gold in the 06 Olympics. He won the Calder and had 6 All-star appearances, even having one All star team named after him for some reason I don't remember in 2012.

That is a borderline HOF career. If its a weak year, it gets you in. You can argue Turegon deserves it more with more points, but Turgeon doesn't have the Calder, as many All star games or any international success.
Thank you for explaining this. I appreciate it.

PJJJP

Dec 2, 2021
Man that Bob contract is gonna hurt Florida even more next season when Knight's extension kicks in. Honestly don't know what to make of Florida. They have some elite forwards but their D looks weak and they have no 1st round picks the next 3 years

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
he was 5th in assists in the 80’s, behind only Gretzky, Stastny, Savard and Coffey and 9th in points, so he absolutely deserved to go in based upon how he performed against his peers in his era
With the way the rest of his career went (which was great), that stat is HOF worthy, imo.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
With the way the rest of his career went (which was great), that stat is HOF worthy, imo.
Meh. That was basically his entire career. His best finish in Hart trophy was 10th. He played in only 2 all star games. Never won a Cup. He was never really one of top 5 guys at his position in the league for any sustained stretch. It’s an extremely thin resume.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Turgeon is much more deserving of being in HHOF than Alfredsson.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Alfie wouldn't be in my 'start from scratch' HoF, but I think he is deserving of being in the HoF as it actually exists. I think we let too many people in and that the bar should be higher, but that's just not the reality.

With that said his international resume is spectacular and is probably more important to his case to get in than his NHL career was. He played in all 5 of the true best-on-best Olympic tournaments that saw NHL participation and participated in the 1996 World Cup of Hockey for Team Sweden. That's an 18 year run where he represented Sweden at every best-on-best tournament that was held.

He wore an A and led Sweden in scoring when they won the gold medal in 2006 and he was a very veteran contributor to their silver medal in 2014. I was too young to remember how much he played in the 1996 World Cup of Hockey, but he made the team that won a bronze. All told, he was good enough to represent a top 3 hockey nation's best team for 18 straight years. He helped earn 3 medals in best-on-best tournaments and was a key contirbutor to an Olympic gold. He also medaled in 4 of the 7 World Championship tournaments he played in and finished his adult international careeer with 74 points in 88 games played.

That's a hell of an international resume.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Meh. That was basically his entire career. His best finish in Hart trophy was 10th. He played in only 2 all star games. Never won a Cup. He was never really one of top 5 guys at his position in the league for any sustained stretch. It’s an extremely thin resume.
Extremely thin? Hard disagree.

Reactions: rumrokh

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Alfredsson is an absolute Hall of Famer in my book. I'm not saying he's at the top of the list, but when I hear his name, I do think Hall of Fame material. I don't really knock players for not having Cups, think it's just something that can boost your resume, and to me, I view him basically the same as Hossa.

Even if we raised the bar, I do think there is room for those wingers that are elite at all ends of the ice, but maybe aren't to the ultra elite level of collecting hardware and that don't happen to be on a team that has all the pieces to win a Cup. The couple runs those Sens teams did have, they had Lalime and Emrey as their starters, they were never winning a Cup.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad