Around the NHL 2022-2023 *Mod warning in effect pg145

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Is it possible that some people are not worthy of a second chance?

Are they vibing so low that they are no longer compatible with consciousness? Or is the general populous unwilling to accept the experience (albeit extremely negative) and guide the wayward person?

Both?

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
there is a reason why 13 year old boys aren’t considered adults, aren’t treated as adults, if they commit a crime their records are sealed
because they are f***ing 13 years old, their brains aren’t developed yet, they do stupid things

people are seriously saying that some kid who was an ass when he was 13 shouldn’t be allowed to play in the NHL for something he did when he was a kid? really?
how about, let‘s limit him in life to just digging ditches? or is that too good for him too?

if Miller is truly faking being remorseful, it will show at some point, and if that happens, then adios

people acting like that all he can be as a human being is defined by something he did as a boy, man, I just don’t get it, and I am someone who was badly bullied in middle school

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
there is a reason why 13 year old boys aren’t considered adults, aren’t treated as adults, if they commit a crime their records are sealed
because they are f***ing 13 years old, their brains aren’t developed yet, they do stupid things

people are seriously saying that some kid who was an ass when he was 13 shouldn’t be allowed to play in the NHL for something he did when he was a kid? really?
how about, let‘s limit him in life to just digging ditches? or is that too good for him too?

if Miller is truly faking being remorseful, it will show at some point, and if that happens, then adios

people acting like that all he can be as a human being is defined by something he did as a boy, man, I just don’t get it, and I am someone who was badly bullied in middle school
You're completely downplaying his heinous actions. The things he did went far beyond typical actions of a 13-year old bully "being an ass." His response in the years that followed sealed the deal that he doesn't deserve a life that comes with being a professional athlete.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
You're completely downplaying his heinous actions. The things he did went far beyond typical actions of a 13-year old bully "being an ass." His response in the years that followed sealed the deal that he doesn't deserve a life that comes with being a professional athlete.
This can’t be said enough and is truly what annoys me when people try to defend this guy.

Miller has done nothing since he was 14 to make anyone’s situation better, including himself ironically. His agent just indicted him more by either grossly minimizing the incidents or just straight up lying in order to improve Miller’s image. This agent just went on air only to say things that went against a police report for God’s sake. Hell, a charity hockey organization just called out his agent for listing their name in Miller’s good deeds because Miller never once attended their functions after sending him repeated invitations. They (Miller and his agent) are trumpeting around Miller’s great moral change for things he either was required to do by the courts or things he just didn’t do period.

Why on Earth is this guy worth defending? He’s either lazy, cruel, or the worst combination of both. And all the while, the issue people have with his treatment is that this prevents him from playing professional hockey in the NHL. Not professional hockey, because I guarantee he could find work (thanks KHL). Just the NHL. That’s it. Oh no, what a cruel punishment to not have the opportunity to make loads of money to play a silly game.

Last edited:

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
It has shown; that's why people are saying adios.

6 years later, he is still minimizing and lying about his conduct instead of acting like a man and owning his awful behavior.

He is currently claiming that he was friends with the victim and simply used the n word toward him as a term of endearment. The victim emphatically denied all of this yesterday and once again clarified that the use of the n word was clearly intended as a slur. This was also made abundantly clear in the police report.

He has still yet to provide any documentation of the community service or educational steps he has claimed to have taken. His agent talked about them, but declined to provide any written documentation. The victim said that he asked Miller to show him proof to back up what he was saying and was not provided any. So far, the only non-profit who has confirmed/commented/denied any association with him was the Carnegie Initiative. The agent's claim was that Miller was working with them. The Carnegie Initiative clarified that they had a conversation with the agent about Miller and decided not to engage with him. Friedman said his efforts to get confirmation were all met with organizations telling him that they don't confirm or deny a volunteer's involvement to 3rd parties. This is overwhelmingly standard practice.

He's had six years to get himself to a point where he could say something along the lines of this:

'After countless hours serving my community and educating myself, I understand exactly how awful my behavior was. I made excuses for myself at the time because I was a misguided 14 year old boy, but I have matured over the last 6 years and stand here ready to address my past actions head on. I directed a terrible racial slur at a minority classmate. I physically assaulted him. I took advantage of him for my own amusement. I was a bully in every sense of the word and my terrible behavior was more than just a single isolated incident. I caused pain to Isaiah and there is no excuse or justification for my actions. I don't expect Isaiah to forgive me, but I recognize how important it is for me to offer a genuine and heartfelt apology better than what I've made in the past. Actions speak louder than words, so now I'd like to allow my agent to talk about the work I've done in the last couple years to get myself to this point. Thank you for this opportunity to show that I am no longer the same 14 year old who made such terrible mistakes.'

And then the agent provides copies of letters from any organization he's worked with to confirm his claims. It would be better if he wrote the same sentiment in his own words rather than reading a statement prepared by a lawyer. Instead, he has specifically declined to speak publicly since his last statement 2 years ago where he apologized for "the inconvenience I caused."

He's had 6 years to demonstrate change and show remorse. He's failed miserably in doing so.

Last edited:

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
This can’t be said enough and is truly what annoys me when people try to defend this guy.

Miller has done nothing since he was 14 to make anyone’s situation better, including himself ironically. His agent just indicated him more by either grossly minimizing the incidents or just straight up lying in order to improve Miller’s image. This agent just went on air only to say things that went against a police report for God’s sake. Hell, a charity hockey organization just called out his agent for listing their name in Miller’s good deeds because Miller never once attended their functions after sending him repeated invitations. They (Miller and his agent) are trumpeting around Miller’s great moral change for things he either was required to do by the courts or things he just didn’t do period.

Why on Earth is this guy worth defending? He’s either lazy, cruel, or the worst combination of both. And all the while, the issue people have with his treatment is that this prevents him from playing professional hockey in the NHL. Not professional hockey, because I guarantee he could find work (thanks KHL). Just the NHL. That’s it. Oh no, what a cruel punishment to not have the opportunity to make loads of money to play a silly game.
You and Brian39 nailed it. This is what I don't understand about people questioning if those of us against Miller playing in the NHL believe in redemption.

I believe in redemption. I also believe Miller has had SIX YEARS to prove himself remorseful rather than show that he's a self-centered POS who only wants to do the court-ordered bare minimum in an effort to sweep everything under the rug.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
How cool is it to watch what McDavid is doing? The older you get the more you appreciate how special players like him are. The guy has a real shot at 150-165 points on the season. I wasn't sold the first three years of his career. He seemed like a fast skater with good hands....but that's selling him tremendously short. Guy puts up 2PPG in the playoffs, and carries that forward into the next season? We're basically watching Gretzky and Lemieux in their primes right now. I've been following the NHL closely since Brett Hull arrived from Calgary, and McDavid is almost at the point where he's scoring at will, like 66 & 99 at the peak of their powers. Never thought I'd see someone punk the league like those legends...and if it weren't for Draisaitl putting up very similar numbers (on his own line half the time, no less) what McDavid is doing versus his peers would look even more ridiculous.

It'll be a shame if Edmonton can't cash in on he and Draisaitl's prime. I'd love to see EDM trade a ton of futures for Parayko and go hoist a Cup.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
How cool is it to watch what McDavid is doing?

It'll be a shame if Edmonton can't cash in on he and Draisaitl's prime. I'd love to see EDM trade a ton of futures for Parayko and go hoist a Cup.
Edmonton needs to go all in on the next 3 years.

Drai will be a 29 year old UFA at the end of 2024/25 and then McDavid will be a 29 year old UFA at the end of 2025/26. Why would Drai extend if they still haven't won anything (or at least gotten to a Cup Final)? And if he walks, why would McDavid believe that a team that couldn't win without Drai could do any better? I think they need to start looking at all their futures assets based solely on how they can help them between now and 2025.

I'm not eager to trade Parayko because I think that likely kicks off a long rebuild and not a retool. However, Edmonton is one of the few destinations where I think a trade makes sense. He's likely waive to go there and they desperately need a player like him. Broberg is taking too long to develop into what they need, but he would fit a timeline of a retool for us perfectly.

If we decide to tear it down and retool/rebuild, Parayko to Edmonton would make some sense if we could get Broberg and their 2023 1st in the deal.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
How cool is it to watch what McDavid is doing? The older you get the more you appreciate how special players like him are. The guy has a real shot at 150-165 points on the season. I wasn't sold the first three years of his career. He seemed like a fast skater with good hands....but that's selling him tremendously short. Guy puts up 2PPG in the playoffs, and carries that forward into the next season? We're basically watching Gretzky and Lemieux in their primes right now. I've been following the NHL closely since Brett Hull arrived from Calgary, and McDavid is almost at the point where he's scoring at will, like 66 & 99 at the peak of their powers. Never thought I'd see someone punk the league like those legends...and if it weren't for Draisaitl putting up very similar numbers (on his own line half the time, no less) what McDavid is doing versus his peers would look even more ridiculous.

Drai will be a 29 year old UFA at the end of 2024/25 and then McDavid will be a 29 year old UFA at the end of 2025/26. Why would Drai extend if they still haven't won anything (or at least gotten to a Cup Final)? And if he walks, why would McDavid believe that a team that couldn't win without Drai could do any better? I think they need to start looking at all their futures assets based solely on how they can help them between now and 2025.

I'm not eager to trade Parayko because I think that likely kicks off a long rebuild and not a retool. However, Edmonton is one of the few destinations where I think a trade makes sense. He's likely waive to go there and they desperately need a player like him. Broberg is taking too long to develop into what they need, but he would fit a timeline of a retool for us perfectly.

If we decide to tear it down and retool/rebuild, Parayko to Edmonton would make some sense if we could get Broberg and their 2023 1st in the deal.
The only way I could see Parayko going to Edmonton is if Bouchard is coming back the other way. We would be giving up size and experience for a guy that has a ceiling of "Petro-lite" but if the Oilers feel Parayko is the missing piece I would probably do it, especially if we had a cap dump and a pick coming back the other way. I'd take Bouchard, Foegele and a 1st (maybe even the LTIR of Klefbom if that's helpful) for Parayko if we're still well out of the picture in a couple of months.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

If our season doesn’t turn around rather dramatically I think we can agree it’s likely we will deal our UFAs for picks. That will help restock the system but it doesn’t do much to improve us next year or 2. And we will have little cap space to do so. Next year is likely to be challenge fo make playoffs regardless.The only way to really reshape roster to accelerate rebuild is to deal off guys we don’t want to deal. If we are able to move Saad or Krug, I can’t see return being huge (although couid still make sense). Buchy probably has value but he is young enough I’d like to keep unless we got blown away. Parayko likely could bring back significant young talent. He is heckuva player but if we are retooling significantly, I’d deal him if he could bring return that we are anticipating.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Just listening to Matt Tkachuk's interview on Spittin Chiclets. It might not be much of a surprise but figured I'd report it anyway. When asked if he was open to playing in St. Louis he said "it was no secret" that St. Louis was one of the teams he would have played for but due to the cap situation he knew all along that it would be very unlikely they could get a deal done. He said he thought it would be impossible for Florida to make the deal as well, but obviously they managed to get it done by reshaping their whole team to get him.

Also I found it interesting that Tkachuk first became interested in playing for the Panthers during his RFA period a few years back. He said that after he talked to Bill Zito and learned about the organization it was always in the back of his mind that he would love to play there in the future. Just goes to show the risks involved when teams let their RFAs negotiate with other teams, they might realize there are greener pastures elsewhere and the Flames' hesistance to sign him surely contributed to him leaving a few years later.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
If our season doesn’t turn around rather dramatically I think we can agree it’s likely we will deal our UFAs for picks. That will help restock the system but it doesn’t do much to improve us next year or 2. And we will have little cap space to do so. Next year is likely to be challenge fo make playoffs regardless.The only way to really reshape roster to accelerate rebuild is to deal off guys we don’t want to deal. If we are able to move Saad or Krug, I can’t see return being huge (although couid still make sense). Buchy probably has value but he is young enough I’d like to keep unless we got blown away. Parayko likely could bring back significant young talent. He is heckuva player but if we are retooling significantly, I’d deal him if he could bring return that we are anticipating.
I discussed it in another thread, but my stance on moving Parayko is that I think it very likely extends a rebuild rather than accelerates it. It's so damn hard to acquire D men who are able to contribute as genuine top 4 D within a 2-3 year window. You're not replacing Parayko in UFA for anything close to the $6.5M we're paying him, any picks you acquire won't be ready to replace him until 2025 in the absolute best case scenario, and it is very unlikely that part of the package is a young D man ready to replace his contribution in the next 2-3 years.

Moving him frees up cap space and would get assets, but it puts your D in a spot where you can't reasonably expect it to be good enough until at least 2025/26 and likely 2026/27. Such a rebuild period might wind up being the best thing for the franchise long term, but if the goal is to accelerate the rebuild then I think you try to build a young D that can grow around Faulk/Parayko with the intention that they are good enough to compliment those two in 2024/25 and pass them by in 2025/26.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
The only way I could see Parayko going to Edmonton is if Bouchard is coming back the other way. We would be giving up size and experience for a guy that has a ceiling of "Petro-lite" but if the Oilers feel Parayko is the missing piece I would probably do it, especially if we had a cap dump and a pick coming back the other way. I'd take Bouchard, Foegele and a 1st (maybe even the LTIR of Klefbom if that's helpful) for Parayko if we're still well out of the picture in a couple of months.
I can't see them giving up Bouchard. I'd love it, but he is pretty good and (more importantly) will be cost-controlled through the rest of Drai's contract. He doesn't have arbitration rights this summer, so they can strong-arm him into a cheap 2 year bridge that expires with 2 more years of RFA eligibility like we did with Thomas/Kyrou. They'll need that cheap contribution on the blue line if they are picking up Parayko at $6.5M long-term.

I'd absolutely take a 1st+Bouchard+ package for Parayko if we're committing to a rebuild though.

Reactions: MissouriMook

MissouriMook

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I can't see them giving up Bouchard. I'd love it, but he is pretty good and (more importantly) will be cost-controlled through the rest of Drai's contract. He doesn't have arbitration rights this summer, so they can strong-arm him into a cheap 2 year bridge that expires with 2 more years of RFA eligibility like we did with Thomas/Kyrou. They'll need that cheap contribution on the blue line if they are picking up Parayko at $6.5M long-term.

I'd absolutely take a 1st+Bouchard+ package for Parayko if we're committing to a rebuild though.
I agree it is unlikely, but if they are intent on winning now and see Bouchard-to-Parayko as an upgrade that puts them over the top, well, let's just say that GMs do crazy things when they think it's their year and I would love to be the beneficiary of that if we go down the road of trading him. Edmonton also seems like the likeliest destination that Parayko would waive his NTC to go to given that he's from there.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I discussed it in another thread, but my stance on moving Parayko is that I think it very likely extends a rebuild rather than accelerates it. It's so damn hard to acquire D men who are able to contribute as genuine top 4 D within a 2-3 year window. You're not replacing Parayko in UFA for anything close to the $6.5M we're paying him, any picks you acquire won't be ready to replace him until 2025 in the absolute best case scenario, and it is very unlikely that part of the package is a young D man ready to replace his contribution in the next 2-3 years.

Moving him frees up cap space and would get assets, but it puts your D in a spot where you can't reasonably expect it to be good enough until at least 2025/26 and likely 2026/27. Such a rebuild period might wind up being the best thing for the franchise long term, but if the goal is to accelerate the rebuild then I think you try to build a young D that can grow around Faulk/Parayko with the intention that they are good enough to compliment those two in 2024/25 and pass them by in 2025/26.
Obviously it depends on return. If it’s basically just picks you are likely correct. If it brings back Bouchard or similar young d could be different picture.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Who do we think would be the players we'd be looking to sell? I think it's important to have some vets here to help transition some younger players, but I have to believe ROR and Tarasenko are the first players to go in a rebuild. I can see arguments for trading Parayko, but I would also like to offload Krug's contract. Scandella would be nice to get rid of, but he seems like the kind of guy you want to have around because I imagine he has a great work ethic, he just isn't very effective with the style we're trying to play. I'd love to keep Barbasehv, but he might fetch something decent. I'm wondering who else we would try to offload, seems like the names I mentioned are the only ones we'd try to sell hard.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

ScratchCatFever

Oct 14, 2018

Welcome to wokeness PC culture..

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016

I mean all signs point to him not being remorseful or caring about bullying Isaiah (at the moment), so I'd say he's getting what he deserves right now. The story perpetuated by his agent was laughably false.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
I don't think we should crucify 14 year olds for shitty behavior and never give them a chance to grow and change, but if you can't see that there are larger issues with this particular incident that than "wokeness PC culture" then I don't know what to tell you.

I mean all signs point to him not being remorseful or caring about bullying Isaiah (at the moment), so I'd say he's getting what he deserves right now. The story perpetuated by his agent was laughably false.

I just want to say that the adults in the situation like the teachers and the principal and even the parents all let this continue and did nothing to protect kid being bullied. The fault should fall on the adults more than the kid. How do you expect a kid to have better morals than the adults that raise and teach them?

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I just want to say that the adults in the situation like the teachers and the principal and even the parents all let this continue and did nothing to protect kid being bullied. The fault should fall on the adults more than the kid. How do you expect a kid to have better morals than the adults that raise and teach them?
From my understanding, Isaiah's parents tried to stop the bullying, but I don't disagree about the situation in general. Miller's parents are f***ing weird with their comments, and them seemingly doubling down on it being bad that he can't "just play hockey" is pretty cringe, and I would imagine he has the same view as his parents. HAVING SAID THAT, we can't keep blaming his parents when he does have control of some situations. Sure, it's hard to reflect and change behavior when your entire bubble is surrounded by shitty people, but he does have agency in the philosophical sense and can reach out to find ways to improve himself. Either way, I hope he can figure things out because its either that or he'll have a hard time finding a place to play hockey.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Speaking as someone who went through my own personal hell in grade school from grades 4-8, kids are vindictive, petty and sneaky.

There's only so much that a teacher or principal could do to mitigate verbal abuse - because my bullies were outright conniving shits. Short of them overhearing the abuse, which tends to be saved for places its difficult to monitor (bathrooms, changerooms, the recess yard and school bus) there's absolutely nothing they could do... It's a game of he said, she said except the bullies tend to have numbers to contradict the loner victims.

Unlike physical abuse where you can point to scratches, cuts, bruises, swelling, welts and/or broken bones, there is no evidence of verbal abuse and harassment. Especially not when you're a solitary victim.

My parents got involved, and it solved absolutely nothing. I ended up switching schools to resolve the issue - by transferring out the middle school I was expected to attend for grade 9 and doing my grade 9 elsewhere. This mitigated many of the circumstances which allowed me to be singled out as a victim because I'd formed friendships and wasn't a social outcast by the time my tormentors merged into the high school system in grade 10.

Looking back, I don't see how the school district could have done much better with the options available to them. It's not like you could waterboard the kids or cane them to extract the truth. The school staff allowed me to stay inside and read, allowing me to enjoy a safe space a few days a week but it served to perpetuate the problem by further isolating me and creating jealousy amongst my peers, fuelling the cycle... Had I been part of a larger school, I would have had a few more options available to me in the form of school clubs fostering different skills or nurturing certain interests - but I was a part of a small choice French school in a small town. Our K-8 had 126 students enrolled and didn't have the numbers to provide intra-school clubs. For context, my grade 12 grad class was 142 students from my high school.

Edit: To further complicate the problem, every time a change was made and the bullies were approached by teaching staff, they would retaliate and lash out at the first occasion when they found an opportunity. It got to the point where I'd rather button down and withdraw than deal with my bullies ire over being "disciplined" (if you can call any of the measures used discipline). Any attempt to help, made every à magnitude worse within a week when vigilance dropped.

MissouriMook

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Who do we think would be the players we'd be looking to sell? I think it's important to have some vets here to help transition some younger players, but I have to believe ROR and Tarasenko are the first players to go in a rebuild. I can see arguments for trading Parayko, but I would also like to offload Krug's contract. Scandella would be nice to get rid of, but he seems like the kind of guy you want to have around because I imagine he has a great work ethic, he just isn't very effective with the style we're trying to play. I'd love to keep Barbasehv, but he might fetch something decent. I'm wondering who else we would try to offload, seems like the names I mentioned are the only ones we'd try to sell hard.
If you're going to truly re-build, I think the logical conclusion is that it will include a re-vamping of the defense. In that case, I think you would see at least two of Krug, Parayko and Scandella moved, though I doubt Scandella has a market for anything other than equivalent dead money. I also think it is a given that both ROR and Tarasenko are traded by the deadline, even if we are just sellers and not re-building.

The biggest question to me is what do we do for the next 2-3 years. Do we use the abundant cap space from the sell-off to spend in free agency and accelerate the process of getting better, or do we simply invest in young talent and allow them to grow over the next 3-5 years? I don't believe that Stillman will be OK with a longer process in this market, so I expect he will want a shorter re-build using free agency and player development instead of just player development on its own.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
If you're going to truly re-build, I think the logical conclusion is that it will include a re-vamping of the defense. In that case, I think you would see at least two of Krug, Parayko and Scandella moved, though I doubt Scandella has a market for anything other than equivalent dead money. I also think it is a given that both ROR and Tarasenko are traded by the deadline, even if we are just sellers and not re-building.

The biggest question to me is what do we do for the next 2-3 years. Do we use the abundant cap space from the sell-off to spend in free agency and accelerate the process of getting better, or do we simply invest in young talent and allow them to grow over the next 3-5 years? I don't believe that Stillman will be OK with a longer process in this market, so I expect he will want a shorter re-build using free agency and player development instead of just player development on its own.
Agreed. I think goal would be to get back to playoffs in 24-25 season with understanding that it may take at least another year. And this is also why I’d like to deal Parayko if he can return what we think, as we are going to be wasting the best years left of that contract before it starts to get ugly.

Could make that argument for Faulk and Schenn too, but I expect Faulk still has good years at back end of his contract and I don’t think Schenn with his contract has much value. And we need vets as leaders to facilitate transition and not get stuck in 8 year hole. But that said, I don’t think anyone over 25 should be untouchable in a rebuild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad