Around the NHL 2022-2023 *Mod warning in effect pg145

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJJJP

Dec 2, 2021
That is awful contract for guy who is decent 2nd pairing guy now. If you are gonna buy his decline, need to get value in front end and they didn’t do it. Jarmo is awful GM.
Well the cap will be going up in the next 3 years a significant amount if there isn't a new pandemic so it will probably look better then.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I don't love that contract. However, overpaying is the cost of doing business to attract UFAs to Columbus and I'm not sure how much the contract will actually hurt them.

They are about to draft either Fantilli or Carlsson, who will be on a 3 year ELC through the 2025/26 season. They are loaded with D prospects (Jircek, Mateychuk, Ceulemans, and Svozil) who can't hit RFA until the summer of 2026 at the earliest. Gudbransson ($4M) and Peeke ($2.75M) both come off the books in the summer of 2026. I expect one or both to be moved well before then as the prospects take their jobs, but that's $6.25M cleared up as the D prospects deserve raises. Provorov and Boqvist are both up in the summer of 2025. By the time they need to start paying the D who (should) overtake Severson, there will be a lot of money cleared out in other places. I expect $6.25M to be completely reasonable "2nd pair vet" money by 2026/27 and if Severson has been bumped to the 3rd pair then they probably have a top 3 blueline in the league and paying a premium is easier to stomach.

In the last week, Columbus added a 26 year old top 4 D and a (soon to be) 29 year old top 4 D at the cost of the #22, a future 2nd, the #80, and $11M in cap space in a summer where they had a lot of cap flexibility. They have a top 5 prospect pool and are about to add a potential franchise C prospect to that pool. I have a pretty hard time blasting the GM for that.

That contract is going to get ugly in the end. But I think it is going to work out better than expected for the first 4-5 years even though I wouldn't call the $6.25M AAV a discount in exchange for tacking on dead years.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
That is awful contract for guy who is decent 2nd pairing guy now. If you are gonna buy his decline, need to get value in front end and they didn’t do it. Jarmo is awful GM.
I think you are selling Severson's current ability a bit short. He's put up five 30+ point seasons in his last 6 full seasons and was on pace for 30 in the 56 game COVID season. He's had positive possession numbers in each of his last 3 seasons (both with O-zone and D-zone leaning start rates) and this was his first season not playing 22+ a night in the last 5 years.

I think he was a good 2nd pair guy this past season. He was sheltered from elite competition this year and had a slight lean toward O-zone starts. But he dominated in that role. All his underlying metrics were 55%-65% at 5 on 5 and he was +10 at 5 on 5. He was played like a legit #1 in 2021/22 and had positive underlying numbers despite heavy defensive usage. He also put up 46 points but was -7 at 5 on 5.

That's more than just a decent 2nd pair guy. That's a #2/3 D man who can either be part of a good top pair or a really, really good 2nd pair. I don't think they got much (if any) discount from his UFA value by tacking on that last year and there will be some ugly years on this deal. But I do believe that he is more than just a decent 2nd pair guy in the short term.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I think you are selling Severson's current ability a bit short. He's put up five 30+ point seasons in his last 6 full seasons and was on pace for 30 in the 56 game COVID season. He's had positive possession numbers in each of his last 3 seasons (both with O-zone and D-zone leaning start rates) and this was his first season not playing 22+ a night in the last 5 years.

I think he was a good 2nd pair guy this past season. He was sheltered from elite competition this year and had a slight lean toward O-zone starts. But he dominated in that role. All his underlying metrics were 55%-65% at 5 on 5 and he was +10 at 5 on 5. He was played like a legit #1 in 2021/22 and had positive underlying numbers despite heavy defensive usage. He also put up 46 points but was -7 at 5 on 5.

That's more than just a decent 2nd pair guy. That's a #2/3 D man who can either be part of a good top pair or a really, really good 2nd pair. I don't think they got much (if any) discount from his UFA value by tacking on that last year and there will be some ugly years on this deal. But I do believe that he is more than just a decent 2nd pair guy in the short term.
I was expecting him to get about 5*5, maybe a bit more. If you are adding years need to be a discount on salary. Are they really valuing him as 8-9mm guy the first few years? Because he isn’t that.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I was expecting him to get about 5*5, maybe a bit more. If you are adding years need to be a discount on salary. Are they really valuing him as 8-9mm guy the first few years? Because he isn’t that.
I think that expectation was way low. 35 point D men with good-to-great possession numbers that are capable of playing 22 minutes a night are able to demand term that take that to (or past) 35.

Over the last 5 seasons Severson has played at a 37 point pace, averaged 22:10 a night, and was used with a hefty lean toward the D zone in that time without seeing his underlying metrics get caved in. In all but 2 years, his relative possession rates have been pretty darn good and this year's performance suggests that he can dominate 2nd pair competition with a talented roster around him. His 120 even strength points in that stretch are 36th among all NHL D men.

That type of guy doesn't have to settle for contracts that expire when they are about to turn 34. They are able to get a "last" contract in UFA with consistency.

I'm not saying that it isn't an overpay. It is, but how the hell else do you convince a UFA to come to Columbus? My point is simply that I think you are selling the player (and by extension what he was going to get in the UFA market) pretty short.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
I really thought the Panthers were gonna win but f***, they look like that 10 day lay off really f***ed their shit up. I also need to admit that Eichel has really shown how good he is, happy for him to finally get a chance.

Reactions: TheDizee

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
If everything was called correctly, that should be a suspension for Pietrangelo, leaving the box to join a fight. This series is anything but called correctly how ever.

oPlaiD

Dec 3, 2007
If everything was called correctly, that should be a suspension for Pietrangelo, leaving the box to join a fight. This series is anything but called correctly how ever.
He didn't do any fighting until after Tkachuk put him in a headlock with his stick.

If the rules say he isn't allowed to come onto the ice after the game has ended so be it, but if someone actually deserves to be suspended on that play, and not just due to a technicality, it isn't him.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
When tkachuk plays like this, he's very ineffective. Let the grinders do that stuff.

I don't think anybody deserve a suspension for that in the cup finals. Good for creampuff if he wins a second cup and barbashev as well. I could truly care less.

Hopefully we sign sunny when ufa opens up. Barbashev gonna be overpaid by somebody.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Ya, the same trade wouldn't have worked for us due to our cap issues on D, but in a vacuum if we could have made the same trade and say Leddy just happened to retire, I think that's an incredible get.

I think it's a good trade for everyone. All three teams got what they want. I get that it seems weird for Columbus to "try and compete," since the East is so stacked, but like, f***ing good on them for at least trying. That team has been in a perpetual rebuild since the day of its origin.

I just thought it was funny that LA was basically shedding cap space but then was kinda/sorta forced to be the intermediary on Provorov....I suppose you could argue that they would have had to pay a higher price to someone else for the cap dumps, but who knows.

It is interesting that LA was the 3rd team in that trade. Makes me wonder if it was a favor for trading them Gavrikov a few months ago. The Kings got their guy and so did Columbus. I also give Jarmo credit for not just sitting around and expecting to be bad for a few more years. He's never been afraid to make bold moves.

Wouldn't surprise me at all to see Columbus be significantly better next year if they can add Texier, Provorov, Severson, two Calder candidates in Jiricek and whoever they pick at 3 this year and get healthy years from Werenski, Laine and Gaudreau. They've already got a nice group of young up and comers so the Jackets will be pretty fun to watch at least.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Keith must’ve pissed AP off when he was a youngin or something because AP hates Matthew lmao
Keith was a career playoff choker and AP is about to accomplish something no other player has ever accomplished, leading two different franchises in ice time to win the Cup. So I can completely respect any purported disdain.

DoubleK81

It's always something with these pricks.
Sep 10, 2010
PETRO SUCKS
I don't know if there are any rules that pertain to getting involved in a scrum coming out of the penalty box after the game has ended.
If anyone should be suspended, it should be Hill for throwing punches at multiple players with the blocker in more than 1 game. Precedent was set with the Binnington suspension, Hill should have already served a game before the shitshow at the end of game 4.

Reactions: STLegend

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
I don't know if there are any rules that pertain to getting involved in a scrum coming out of the penalty box after the game has ended.
If anyone should be suspended, it should be Hill for throwing punches at multiple players with the blocker in more than 1 game. Precedent was set with the Binnington suspension, Hill should have already served a game before the shitshow at the end of game 4.

I agree about Hill and I admit I have no idea about leaving the box to fight after the game but it damn well should be a suspension.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Pietrangelo is able to leave the box once the game ends, and he did what any player would do in that situation (i.e. a scrum when the game is over and your team is down two guys on the ice) and got Barkov off a teammate before Tkachuk started his usual stuff. If Pietrangelo meekly skated over to the bench while all that was going on the usual suspects here would be calling him "soft" or "creampuff" or whatever other tired shtick that's been going on for years. Maybe if Pietrangelo had left the box and just hauled off on someone for no reason, but they're not suspending him for what happened.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Disagree. The rule that talks about an automatic 10 game suspension is specific to the situation that a player is returning to the bench at a stoppage in play. It’s pretty clear the intent of the rule pertains to the situation of someone being in the box that has to wait for the next stoppage to exit. He exits and instead of going to the bench, starts another altercation.

A stoppage in play would insinuate that play can be resumed afterward. That’s not the case when the game is over. IMO, stoppage and the game being over aren’t the same thing.

Also, it would’ve been the penalty box attendant that opened the door for Petro. Maybe he’s not supposed to open the door if there’s an obvious altercation going on? But if so, that’d be on him, not Petro.

Interesting thought experiment but it’s a nothing burger IMO.

Reactions: Xerloris

stlbluz

Apr 9, 2007
St. Louis
Not related but does anyone remember who the sharks player was that reached out of the penalty box & obstructed one of our Blues? I'm not talking about the thornton hit but it was another player, maybe early 2000s?

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Not related but does anyone remember who the sharks player was that reached out of the penalty box & obstructed one of our Blues? I'm not talking about the thornton hit but it was another player, maybe early 2000s?
Pretty sure Finley (of the Blues) did that when Demitra was getting pummeled. Don’t recall the Sharks incident, though.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
I vaguely remember it, but it was too long ago for me to remember who did it.
The Sharks of that era had some extremely unlikeable players(Owen Nolan, Bryan Marchment, Mike Ricci, Ronnie Stern, Marty McSorley, Brantt Myers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad