Around the NHL 2022-2023 *Mod warning in effect pg145

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Tkachuk or any of the panthers can play as well as they are able, but if the Panthers get the goaltending they have these first two games it’s not going to matter. Bob’s been on an insane heater most of these playoffs, but the other shoe dropping has always been around the corner.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Tkachuk or any of the panthers can play as well as they are able, but if the Panthers get the goaltending they have these first two games it’s not going to matter. Bob’s been on an insane heater most of these playoffs, but the other shoe dropping has always been around the corner.
The goaltending they’ve gotten is tied to how they’ve played. Vegas has gotten way more chances from the inner slot than both Toronto and Carolina did and are way more effective off the rush. Bob was good in previous rounds, but it was made easy for him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
The panel was talking how Petro has won at every level and if he gets his 2nd Cup, he's got a HOF resume. Tough to disagree. Even without the individual hardware, he'll be one of the best of his generation.

• Love
Reactions: jura

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
The panel was talking how Petro has won at every level and if he gets his 2nd Cup, he's got a HOF resume. Tough to disagree. Even without the individual hardware, he'll be one of the best of his generation.

Saying winning at every level is impressive but including "team canada" wins is not.

Reactions: Reality Czech

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
That resume would be 2 Cups (with two teams), 2 gold medals in best-on-best international tournaments, a world junior gold medal, and a 3-time 2nd-team NHL All Star (end of year voting, not all star games). The golds with Canada are a bit of a double edged sword. Those teams were loaded and he wasn't the main contributor to success, but making Team Canada in those years was a huge accomplishment.

Where does that put him in the rankings of his generation?

Keith, Doughty, and Hedman are consensus top 5 D in this generation and should all be first ballot HOF guys IMO. Each has individual hardware, multiple seasons recognized as an NHL All Star at the end of the year and 2 (or in Keith's case 3) Cups as a #1 D. Karlsson doesn't have the Cups, but he has 2 Norris trophies (plus two 2nd place finishes) and the first 100 point season by a D man in ages that will likely win him Norris #3. He should be a first ballot guy IMO.

After that group. I think it would come down to Letang vs Petro for 5th of the generation. I'm not putting Burns, Carlson, or Josi ahead of them. Maybe Weber had a more dominant peak, but he never won a Norris and fell short of the Cup win. Right or wrong, Cups matter and I have a hard time saying that a guy without a Norris win should be ahead of 2 other non-Norris winners who were the #1 D for two Cups. I'd put Weber below them, but I get the argument that he should be ahead.

At worst, I'd say that another Cup puts him at #7 in the generation and could put him as high as #5 depending on what you value. He's 3 years younger than Letang and Weber is retired, so he has more time to pad the resume too.

Personally, I'd like to see an individual award (or a top 3 finish for Norris) for the 5th best D of a generation to get into the HOF. I get that being the #1 D for two different Cup-winning teams is a complete rarity, but a good chunk of that stat is simply the reality that teams almost never let #1 Cup winning D go to another team. What is the sample size of Cup-winning #1D who even went to another team while still young enough to play #1 minutes?

If he wins another Cup and gets in, I won't be upset. I love the player and I don't think he'd be the least deserving guy in there. But I think the resume falls a touch shy unless he does something else substantial or gets himself to a couple decades of service in the NHL.

PJJJP

Dec 2, 2021
At that cost, glad we held off on Provorov.
It's not a bad trade in all. Provorov at 4.75 mil for 2 years and it took #22 pick and either a 2024 2nd or a 2025 2nd and the bluejackets get to decide which one after the first round of the 2024 draft is complete

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
It's not a bad trade in all. Provorov at 4.75 mil for 2 years and it took #22 pick and either a 2024 2nd or a 2025 2nd and the bluejackets get to decide which one after the first round of the 2024 draft is complete
Was dumb move. Bad teams should not be trading high picks for medicore players who won’t make them contenders. smacks of desperation. No idea why jarmo still has a job.

Reactions: Xerloris

PJJJP

Dec 2, 2021
Was dumb move. Bad teams should not be trading high picks for medicore players who won’t make them contenders. smacks of desperation. No idea why jarmo still has a job.
They did have a lot of injuries this year, Laine missed 20 plus games, Werenski was essentially out for the season. Plus they have Jiricek coming in next year and this gives him a decent partner. Plus they already have the #3 overall so they are looking fine. They have a good prospect pool already with some decent young players. I think it was alright

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
This is such a weird trade - like LA paid a couple of assets to ditch Petersen and Walker's contracts, but then had to take money on from Provorov to get it done?

Honestly that's kinda a f***ing steal for Columbus. Provorov will slot in nicely on the second pair behind Werenski and is getting paid sub 5M for the next two years. All it cost was a late first and a conditional second? Man, at that price I woulda been interested too.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
This is such a weird trade - like LA paid a couple of assets to ditch Petersen and Walker's contracts, but then had to take money on from Provorov to get it done?

Honestly that's kinda a f***ing steal for Columbus. Provorov will slot in nicely on the second pair behind Werenski and is getting paid sub 5M for the next two years. All it cost was a late first and a conditional second? Man, at that price I woulda been interested too.
LA paid a 2nd and a 2nd round prospect who was just okay as a young AHL player to clear a net $5.6M in dead cap for this season and about a net $3M of dead cap in 2024/25. That's not bad at all. Especially since Petersen and Walker are both owed more real dollars than cap dollars.

It's expensive to move dead money.

I'm not sure I like the trade for Columbus, simply because I don't know that they should be trying to win now. However, It is good value. 2 years of Provorov at $4.75M a year for pick #22 and a future 2nd (with some protection) isn't bad at all. At at the end of the day, they just hired Babcock, I expect the 3rd overall pick to be on their roster next year, I expect Jiricek to be on the roster next year, and I don't expect them to have as many injuries next year. I see an avenue for this team to compete in those 2 years and the cap flexibility to extend Provorov if his play merits it.

I like the trade for Philly. Pick #22, a couple future 2nds and a 21 year old 2nd-round prospect isn't a bad return for a guy who hasn't been all that good recently. Taking 2 years of dead money isn't a concern to them and they are better off doing that than burning a retention slot of Provorov. And who knows, maybe Walker and Petersen can play well enough to get flipped for something with 50% retention. Not a home run of a trade, but a nice little piece of business.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I honestly think everyone goes home happy with that trade.

Philly gets a great return and good start on their rebuild for Provorov.

Columbus gets the top 4 LHD they needed to stack with Werenski, and at a cheap cap hit at that.

LA gets a good chunk of cap space, and now they have the ability to extend Gavrikov, while also opening a spot on their right side for their top D prospect Brandt Clarke.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
What do you see as Provorov‘s value? He returned a late 1st and a 2nd. I would have gladly paid that price for him.
At that cap hit, for sure.

Columbus doesn’t really need the picks. Their defensive prospect pool is pretty good. Their defense in general doesn’t look all that bad now. They probably lack a RD to play up in the lineup and they need a pretty big step from Boqvist. But they have the pieces in place right now minus a goaltender.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
What do you see as Provorov‘s value? He returned a late 1st and a 2nd. I would have gladly paid that price for him.
Philly got 2 2nds along with that 1st. And a defect NHL d-man, decent defensive prospect but then had to take on a cap dump in Cal Peterson to get it.

So hard to say what part of the value is Provorov and what part is taking on the cap dump but overall, I just think Philly did really well in this deal.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Philly got 2 2nds along with that 1st. And a defect NHL d-man, decent defensive prospect but then had to take on a cap dump in Cal Peterson to get it.

So hard to say what part of the value is Provorov and what part is taking on the cap dump but overall, I just think Philly did really well in this deal.
i would say that his value from this trade was basically a 1st. columbus effectively paid a 2nd to have kings retain. philly got another 2nd and grans for eating the kings crap (walker and especially peterson).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad