Around the NHL 2022-2023 *Mod warning in effect pg145

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
What do you see as Provorov‘s value? He returned a late 1st and a 2nd. I would have gladly paid that price for him.
To be pedantic, pick #22 is closer to the middle of the first round than the end. Not a huge difference, but it is 3 and 7 picks higher than our late 1sts.

I'm not sure what we would have needed to include to beat this offer without blowing it out of the water. Pick #22 is better than pick #25 (obviously) and I'm not sure that our 2024 2nd rounder is more valuable than the one Columbus sent. Even if we offered our 2024 2nd with no conditions to make it more appealing, I don't think it bridges the gap in value between pick #22 and pick #25.

Realistically, I think we would have needed to offer #25, our 2024 2nd, and one of the 3rd rounders we own this year (with LA offering the same stuff to Philly to retain the same amount). I'm not super crazy about that given that Provorov only has 2 years left under contract and that trade wouldn't have shed any of our LHD money.

I think we'd have needed to drastically change the makeup of this deal to get salary out the door to Philly and then the math becomes way different. If Krug (or even Scandella) is going the other way, then suddenly Philly is probably not as able/willing to take on as much dead money for LA. That means less value coming back to Philly from LA that needs to come out of our pocket.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
Ya, the same trade wouldn't have worked for us due to our cap issues on D, but in a vacuum if we could have made the same trade and say Leddy just happened to retire, I think that's an incredible get.

I think it's a good trade for everyone. All three teams got what they want. I get that it seems weird for Columbus to "try and compete," since the East is so stacked, but like, f***ing good on them for at least trying. That team has been in a perpetual rebuild since the day of its origin.

I just thought it was funny that LA was basically shedding cap space but then was kinda/sorta forced to be the intermediary on Provorov....I suppose you could argue that they would have had to pay a higher price to someone else for the cap dumps, but who knows.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Ya, the same trade wouldn't have worked for us due to our cap issues on D, but in a vacuum if we could have made the same trade and say Leddy just happened to retire, I think that's an incredible get.

I think it's a good trade for everyone. All three teams got what they want. I get that it seems weird for Columbus to "try and compete," since the East is so stacked, but like, f***ing good on them for at least trying. That team has been in a perpetual rebuild since the day of its origin.

I just thought it was funny that LA was basically shedding cap space but then was kinda/sorta forced to be the intermediary on Provorov....I suppose you could argue that they would have had to pay a higher price to someone else for the cap dumps, but who knows.
Provorov has been bad for years. Leddy is better.

Reactions: Xerloris and 542365

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
I seemingly like Leddy a lot more then most others on this board, but I think on a team with better structure (so maybe not the Blues lol) and a lesser role, he'd be better then Leddy.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I seemingly like Leddy a lot more then most others on this board, but I think on a team with better structure (so maybe not the Blues lol) and a lesser role, he'd be better then Leddy.
Bad players are typically bad regardless the team. Provorov is a big reason they were as bad as they were. He's just not very good and he was playing a TON of minutes. He won't be exposed as badly playing behind Werenski, but that doesn't change the fact that he's just not a very good player.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
Bad players are typically bad regardless the team. Provorov is a big reason they were as bad as they were. He's just not very good and he was playing a TON of minutes. He won't be exposed as badly playing behind Werenski, but that doesn't change the fact that he's just not a very good player.
AP looked terrible on Vegas for the 1st 1/2 of his 1st year - which just so happened to correspond with the team having a huge number of injuries and everyone playing like crap. People were basically saying he was done as a #1. Now he's the clear #1 on a team up 2-0 in the Finals. Role and team play factors in way more than you're making out to be.

Reactions: PJJJP

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
AP looked terrible on Vegas for the 1st 1/2 of his 1st year - which just so happened to correspond with the team having a huge number of injuries and everyone playing like crap. People were basically saying he was done as a #1. Now he's the clear #1 on a team up 2-0 in the Finals. Role and team play factors in way more than you're making out to be.

But I was told Pietrangelo is a true #1 and a true #1 can carry everyone to their level. Are you saying that a true #1 cannot actually carry a shit team?

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
Don't be pedantic. No one player can carry a shit team, that's silly. McDavid is the best player on the planet and he hasn't been able to do it - but there's a difference b/t a true #1 being able to play with pretty much anyone and carry the pair on a team that plays at a decent level vs. throwing a guy out there with AHL players and expecting him to hold his own against elite talent.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Don't be pedantic. No one player can carry a shit team, that's silly. McDavid is the best player on the planet and he hasn't been able to do it - but there's a difference b/t a true #1 being able to play with pretty much anyone and carry the pair on a team that plays at a decent level vs. throwing a guy out there with AHL players and expecting him to hold his own against elite talent.

You don't seem to get the point I am making. There's been an argument that Parayko should be able to carry our defense if he was a true #1. They claim Pietrangelo was able to do that, yet you're saying right now in this thread that Pietrangelo was not able to do that the first season in Vegas. I'm taking a shot at a bunch of dumbasses on this board. Not at you.

Reactions: DoubleK81

DoubleK81

It's always something with these pricks.
Sep 10, 2010
PETRO SUCKS
The Blackhawks need to do the NHL a favor and hire Eddie to a front office position so no one has to hear him in the booth ever again.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Nope. Petro’s play was still strong even when Vegas was bad and Provorov has been caved in for most of the past four seasons. Good players are good. They can’t do it all by themselves, of course, so their teammates matter, but not nearly as much as you’re assuming.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Nope. Petro’s play was still strong even when Vegas was bad and Provorov has been caved in for most of the past four seasons. Good players are good. They can’t do it all by themselves, of course, so their teammates matter, but not nearly as much as you’re assuming.

Someone is confusing hockey with basketball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad