Around the NHL 2022-2023 *Mod warning in effect pg145

Status
Not open for further replies.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
This can be said of any team in the NHL. Last year, in December our AHL players really stepped up. Any team that loses 2 top 6 forwards is going to be hurting.
We have both seen so many games where a Blues team down two injured forwards plays far better than this.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
We have both seen so many games where a Blues team down two injured forwards plays far better than this.

Playing as good as we did last year when missing so many players was unsustainable. We all knew it was and it's been a long time coming that we wouldn't be able to carry on like nothing happened if we lost such valuable players.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Playing as good as we did last year when missing so many players was unsustainable. We all knew it was and it's been a long time coming that we wouldn't be able to carry on like nothing happened if we lost such valuable players.
Everyone has injuries. Not a valid excuse for playing this crappy.

Reactions: Ridge1982

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
No. I have seen plenty of better Blues performances, far, far more than last year, over the decades, when two significant forwards are out.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
The more i see of the up-and-coming teams like Ottawa, Buffalo, Detroit & New Jersey, the more I worry what the Blues are going to look like in 2-3 more years. I like Snuggy in the prospect pool...beyond that I see a whole lot of question marks. Even if a couple of more young guys step up and step in, Armstrong is going to have a whole lot of work to do to keep this club from morphing into the Islanders. As the 30-something leadership either walks as UFA or ages out of prime-productivity it's going to be very difficult to avoid a rebuild like those young teams are going through now.

Free agency is designed to make teams overpay for talent or shop in the discount aisle. Acquiring core-players via trade requires that you be pretty damn sure (and right more than wrong) that what you're getting is worth more than what you're giving up. When trying to fill an NHL roster in a salary capped world, the teams that are successful are the ones that have a surplus of value. I trust Army's ability to find value in trades, but the most valuable pieces in the NHL are young, cheap, entry-level performers of whom the Blues appear to have precious few in the system. Kyrou and Thomas are nice, and Buchy should have another few good years before he starts slowing...but that core seems undermanned compared to what a lot of other teams having coming.

I'm not worried about this year's club...they should still be in the battle for a wild card spot with a relatively 'average' injury situation and competent goaltending (which they appear to be getting)...but they could get old in a hurry. And if injury or goaltending become problems as the season progresses, this is as good a year as any to settle for a high draft pick and perhaps try to acquire another one or two in an attempt to make yourself that much stronger in 2-3 years; a period that certainly appears to be in need of a talent infusion.
I'm hopeful that St Louis will be like Detroit a couple decades ago, where every season I thought, "They're going to get old and come back to earth." and every season they were still a really good team. They seemed to always find ways to inject young players I hadn't heard of around that aging core.

My own expectation is that the Blues are going to get old and look bad all of a sudden. I thought it might be next season, but that this year they'd still have another kick at it. But I admittedly don't follow developing players very closely, so I am no authority on this. Its just my expectation looking at the larger amounts of flashy young talent that some teams have been accumulating, along with the impact of the salary cap.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
No. I have seen plenty of better Blues performances, far, far more than last year, over the decades, when two significant forwards are out.

Shall I point out that last year specifically, we had players playing on the 3rd line that would have a case to be playing on the top line or 2nd line on most NHL clubs?

Losing Perron (UFA) and Saad (injury) kills the best meshes with ROR. Losing Buch (injury) deprives us of another Swiss army knife who fits well in multiple roles.

DA didn't replace Perron, hoping for an internal solution. Neighbours ain't it yet. Acciari was never intended to be used in an offensive role the way last year's 3rd line was. Barbashev likely had a career year last year. Walker is a great short term solution, but I don't think he's ever going to be a permanent top 6 fixture.

You say 2 men down, but you aren't accounting for the ghost of DP57. We're down 3 top 6 Forwards from last year. And Barbs 6gp 1-0-1 is a far cry from the 81gp 26-34-60 stat line he produced last year. Barby looks to be producing more in line with his 20-30p career average than last year's unexpected explosion of offense... He doesn't look like a middle 6 dynamo right now, he looks like a typical bottom 6er who isn't capitalizing on matchups.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Shall I point out that last year specifically, we had players playing on the 3rd line that would have a case to be playing on the top line or 2nd line on most NHL clubs?

Losing Perron (UFA) and Saad (injury) kills the best meshes with ROR. Losing Buch (injury) deprives us of another Swiss army knife who fits well in multiple roles.

DA didn't replace Perron, hoping for an internal solution. Neighbours ain't it yet. Acciari was never intended to be used in an offensive role the way last year's 3rd line was. Barbashev likely had a career year last year. Walker is a great short term solution, but I don't think he's ever going to be a permanent top 6 fixture.

You say 2 men down, but you aren't accounting for the ghost of DP57. We're down 3 top 6 Forwards from last year. And Barbs 6gp 1-0-1 is a far cry from the 81gp 26-34-60 stat line he produced last year. Barby looks to be producing more in line with his 20-30p career average than last year's unexpected explosion of offense... He doesn't look like a middle 6 dynamo right now, he looks like a typical bottom 6er who isn't capitalizing on matchups.
I am stating that going back many decades of Blues hockey there are many examples where the Blues have had two players missing and still played well. That isn't even controversial. Your pushback is insane. What are you doing.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I like how Arizona and Anaheim have won a combined 4 of 17 games this season; and half of those four wins have come against the Maple Leafs. I'm sure fans in Toronto are handling their slow start to the season well.
I can only imagine. We lose to Montreal and many folks here want to tear our entire team apart.

Reactions: TK 421

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Been a wild second period in this pens vs bruins game. Monty was a great hire for Boston.

Reactions: BlueOil and mk80

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
The Blues may be an on fire garbage can right now but at least they didn't sign Mitchell Miller.
On one hand worth celebrating we didn't sign him....

on the other hand the fact a team did sign him is troubling to say the least after everything that came to light about him after his draft year, he should have been on every GM's "Do Not" list.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Glad to see the Devils doing well., but too bad Palat is out indef.

Boqvist will get an opportunity with Palat down for a while.

Also, so glad to Miles Wood back with the team after missing most of last season. That dude is heart and soul all the way.

Nice collection of forwards with mid-rounders Bratt and Sharangovich (he surprised many last season). Bastian and McLeod bring energy. Nico and Jack are soft as hell, but talented. Then there's Mercer who is fun to watch, but needs to learn defense.

Their D is pretty much the same as last season. Siegs and Sever are unspectacular, but certainly steady. Dougie is still doing Dougie things, so bright skies ahead for the Devils.

Good team, but could use some help on D. Not sure what their forwards prospects look like.

Now, let's see if ownership can keep this momentum going.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
On one hand worth celebrating we didn't sign him....

on the other hand the fact a team did sign him is troubling to say the least after everything that came to light about him after his draft year, he should have been on every GM's "Do Not" list.

Maybe people should get off his balls about it. Everyone either bullied or got bullied in school and it's nothing new. It's just like that guy the Canadiens? drafted that shared a picture of his girlfriend with people and he actually had legal action taken against him and it's still not good enough for the internet. Nothing will ever be good enough for the internet.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Maybe people should get off his balls about it. Everyone either bullied or got bullied in school and it's nothing new. It's just like that guy the Canadiens? drafted that shared a picture of his girlfriend with people and he actually had legal action taken against him and it's still not good enough for the internet. Nothing will ever be good enough for the internet.
I don't know what kind of moral high horse you're trying to ride right now, but the only place it should end up is a f***ing glue factory.

f*** Mitchel Miller. This guy should not be rewarded by having the opportunity to make loads of money to play a silly game. He has done nothing to earn that. He tortured an autistic child to the point where the courts had to get involved. The judge even declared that Miller didn't have any remorse for what he did. And that seems to have persisted as he couldn't make one f***ing apology to the child or his family, even when it could cost him everything. Oh but he apologized to all NHL teams like that would solve anything. The other kid who tortured that autistic child managed to apologize. Yet Miller was such a lazy (I'm being kind by using that word) piece of shit that he couldn't make any effort. And yet people should get off his back about it? Get off his back about him acting horrible and him doing absolutely nothing to fix it? Am I really reading this bullshit? For Christ's sake there was just a report from CBS two days ago talking about he still hasn't done shit.

Should he be given no attempt at a life? Hell no. But him having a life shouldn't involve a professional sport. He should be doing something to actually do good in the world. Whether that's trying to help others in some meaningful way or even just acting as a cheap ballast for hot-air balloons. At least something that can contribute anything. Not have a chance to make loads of money doing nothing but skating around a rink and hitting a piece of rubber on television.

Again, f*** Mitchel Miller. No one should get off his balls for this. People should be lowering those things into liquid nitrogen until he either does one good thing or those things crumble away so his lineage can't blight human kind.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I’m all for second chances but I also think they have to be earned. Miller waited until a couple weeks ago to apologize and did it via a Snapchat (apparently it was originally reported he reached out via Instagram but it was Snapchat, not that that really changes anything).

He was clearly in talks with the Bruins by then. I find the timing of the apology to be insincere. He started bullying this kid in the first grade (age 6/7) and it continued to escalate until he was actually convicted of a crime at age 14.

He’s had 6 years to make amends. So 2 weeks before he signs a big contract? Sounds to me like a checkbox item to get out of the way, not a sincere change of heart and genuine apology.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012

In Mailloux's case, he has at least shown some regret and accountability for his transgression, and made some attempt to grow from it through his statements, and trying to withdrawal from the draft. Whether that is purely to rehabilitate his PR, or he truthfully regrets what he did, I don't know I can't read his mind. But he has at least taken steps to where I can accept him having a chance to have a successful hockey career. I hope he continues to grow as a person and amend his wrong doing.

In Miller's case, he repeatedly bullied a mentally disabled kid for years, and the largest incident is where he coerced and forced that kid to lick a lollipop that was swabbed in a urinal! That is a twisted and dark thing that kids well younger than 14 know is wrong! And his only apology was court ordered and the judge stated she felt he had no actual remorse of his action, and now a Boston Bruins obligated apology. And it's been reported, that he even bullied the kid after the lollipop incident! I just don't think he's done the minimum to show he should have a chance at a pro hockey career to this point.

In other NHL discussion topics:
The Yotes goalies are making their case for wanting Bedard

Last edited:

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
I’m all for second chances but I also think they have to be earned. Miller waited until a couple weeks ago to apologize and did it via a Snapchat (apparently it was originally reported he reached out via Instagram but it was Snapchat, not that that really changes anything).

He was clearly in talks with the Bruins by then. I find the timing of the apology to be insincere. He started bullying this kid in the first grade (age 6/7) and it continued to escalate until he was actually convicted of a crime at age 14.

He’s had 6 years to make amends. So 2 weeks before he signs a big contract? Sounds to me like a checkbox item to get out of the way, not a sincere change of heart and genuine apology.
Miller’s public statement is absolutely abhorrent as well. He calls several years of abuse “an incident” as if none of it actually registers in his brain outside of what finally ended up getting the legal system involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad