Around the NHL 2020-2021 | Offseason Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
No need to apologize. Who cares what you think?

Right now he's scoring at a better pace every Red Wing except Bertuzzi and Svechnikov.
:help:
Apart from bits of last year, his offensive potential was never in doubt. I always thought on a better balanced roster with experienced linemates he could be a 0.6-0.7 ppg player at his peak. The problems were the other way. Defensively one of the worst players in a Wings Jersey I've seen in a very long time - despite oustanding physical gifts.
I'm happy enough to see him doing well - we got a decent return and its clear he wasn't seen as a long term option by management. I also quite like seeing the Kings doing well.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Apart from bits of last year, his offensive potential was never in doubt. I always thought on a better balanced roster with experienced linemates he could be a 0.6-0.7 ppg player at his peak. The problems were the other way. Defensively one of the worst players in a Wings Jersey I've seen in a very long time - despite oustanding physical gifts.
I'm happy enough to see him doing well - we got a decent return and its clear he wasn't seen as a long term option by management. I also quite like seeing the Kings doing well.

bouncing around a bit might have been the best thing to happen to him. He wouldn't be the first guy with a ton of talent who needed a bit of a wake-up.

Reactions: lomekian and MBH

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

His defensive problems were always overblown by people looking to defend Blashill.
Every once in awhile you see AA lose his man if he gets caught puck watching on a long shift in the zone - and that happens to almost every winger.
He doesn't give the puck away much in his own zone.
His backchecking is above average to even very good in transition.

There were two legit AA issues, defensively, and one other issue.

1) He sometimes blew the zone looking for a lob pass or lead pass when the safe play was waiting on the boards and contesting the chip up the boards.
I'm not really sure what's the better option. But AA's option wasn't the safe option.

2) AA doesn't physically engage much. He'll lift a stick and slash a stick. But who won't often dig in with his body, and power through a guy to make the play. This hurts him on battles in all 3 zones. It allows other teams to escape the Ozone. It allows more 50-50 neutral zone battles to come into the dzone. It creates longer Dzone shifts.

3) The other issue is AA's sulking. Without a doubt, last year's woes were caused by the back injury to some degree. But I'm also pretty sure AA just has a low "give a f***" threshold when coached by clueless twats like Blashill.

As for AA's ability to keep this up.
The stats tell the story.
AA's G/60 and P/60 at ES.
15-16 1.53 2.48
16-17 1.36 2.00
17-18 0.96 1.92
18-19 1.35 2.21
19-20 0.64 1.57
20-21 1.67 2.78

Taking out last year, it's pretty clear you can count on at least 1.0 G/60 and 2 P/60
Those are solid production numbers.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
bouncing around a bit might have been the best thing to happen to him. He wouldn't be the first guy with a ton of talent who needed a bit of a wake-up.

Maybe.
Or maybe when a coach jerks a young kid around as he's trying to navigate the early days of the NHL, you risk f***ing up that development.
Talk to Peter Mrazek about getting the f*** away from Blashill.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Maybe.
Or maybe when a coach jerks a young kid around as he's trying to navigate the early days of the NHL, you risk f***ing up that development.
Talk to Peter Mrazek about getting the f*** away from Blashill.

The Wings fired their goalie coach and promoted Mrazek's guy up from GR when they tried to get him to make the jump. Maybe Mrazek (and athanasiou) saw his biggest problem every day when he looked in the mirror.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
The Wings fired their goalie coach and promoted Mrazek's guy up from GR when they tried to get him to make the jump. Maybe Mrazek (and athanasiou) saw his biggest problem every day when he looked in the mirror.

That's the hometown narrative.
Mrazek.
Jurco.
Athanasiou.
Ouellet.
Marchenko.
Sheahan.
Tatar.
Pulkkinen.
Nyquist.
Mantha.
Cholowski.
Svechnikov.
Maybe even Larkin at this point.

Maybe all guys not as good as we wanted.
But all guys who looked good at times in Detroit and then got Glendeninged/Millered and Blashilled to a lower level of hockey.

Some guys survived in the NHL. Some didn't.

But that's OK.
We still got years of watching Abby and Helm in he top six and Trevor Daley and Jonathan Ericsson playing over young defensemen---
All important steps as Captains Holland and Blashill drove these team to the depths of the NHL's basement.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
That's the hometown narrative.
Mrazek.
Jurco.
Athanasiou.
Ouellet.
Marchenko.
Sheahan.
Tatar.
Pulkkinen.
Nyquist.
Mantha.
Cholowski.
Svechnikov.
Maybe even Larkin at this point.

Maybe all guys not as good as we wanted.
But all guys who looked good at times in Detroit and then got Glendeninged/Millered and Blashilled to a lower level of hockey.

Some guys survived in the NHL. Some didn't.

But that's OK.
We still got years of watching Abby and Helm in he top six and Trevor Daley and Jonathan Ericsson playing over young defensemen---
All important steps as Captains Holland and Blashill drove these team to the depths of the NHL's basement.

I don't see why Tatar, nyquist, Mantha, or Larkin are on that list. If guys leave this team and aren't good enough to hold down a job anywhere in the NHL, that probably says more about them than the Wings.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
That is such an odd list, because it conflates players who had "better" seasons elsewhere with other players who ended up fizzling out. And putting Cholowski on there when nothing about coaching seems to be his problem because he comes across as too brain-dead to actually understand coaching systems in the first place.

Reactions: odin1981
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad