Around the NHL 2020-2021 | Offseason Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaster

My dog from Belgium came with frites.
Jun 8, 2007
Zegras about to make his NHL debut (maybe this belongs in the HF fantasy league thread lol). Go Ducks! :neener:

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Seriously? Everyone's entitled to an opinion, but I thought if anything, we're still coming out even, if not ahead.

What if Skinner bounces back (in a better hockey culture/O6team/Yzerman impact) & he's played on the 2nd/3rd line w/o the pressure. Not bounce back to 40G pre-contract, but ~25g-20a shouldn't be asking too much. He has the skill & I've never been a Skinner fan, or even a Skynyrd fan. Knew that contract was league-wide terribad before it was signed.

Or, give him til seasons end to find his game. Then shop him in the offseason, even if he finds his game, some retention may be required, but we'd have an elite 1C!

You are going to have to eat 50% and give up a good asset to dump that albatross of a contract.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
You are going to have to eat 50% and give up a good asset to dump that albatross of a contract.
Assuming he rebounds to 45pt+ player, do you still think we'd have to dump a good asset too?

You're probably right on the 50% retention though, I kinda thought that as well, but wanted feedback from others. Even at 25% retention, that's a bargain for us if we net Eichel, no?

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Assuming he rebounds to 45pt+ player, do you still think we'd have to dump a good asset too?

You're probably right on the 50% retention though, I kinda thought that as well, but wanted feedback from others. Even at 25% retention, that's a bargain for us if we net Eichel, no?

Yes, even if he rebounds to be a 45+ plus player. Would you give Anthony Mantha a 6 year contract worth $9 million a year? I don't think Buf would retain 25% of Skinner if you want Eichel. Just looked and Skinner has a NMC :huh::help:! WTF

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
what has happened to that guy? Always a bit streaky, but could at least find the back of the net. He paced for just 19 goals last year and this season has been a disaster. It's not like he aged out, he's only 28.

even eichel only has two goals this season

something stinks in buffalo

Reactions: Winger98

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Yes, even if he rebounds to be a 45+ plus player. Would you give Anthony Mantha a 6 year contract worth $9 million a year? I don't think Buf would retain 25% of Skinner if you want Eichel. Just looked and Skinner has a NMC :huh::help:! WTF
I meant we retain 25% on Skinner to dump him, in lieu of dumping a good asset (Raymond/Seider etc.)

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
I meant we retain 25% on Skinner to dump him, in lieu of dumping a good asset (Raymond/Seider etc.)

I suppose it depends on when you dump him. 25% is still going to require a decent asset. Not Raymond/Seider, but a Johansson/Berggren type IMO. Doubt you are getting anybody to eat that contract though.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I suppose it depends on when you dump him. 25% is still going to require a decent asset. Not Raymond/Seider, but a Johansson/Berggren type IMO. Doubt you are getting anybody to eat that contract though.
I agree. Wishful thinking had me hoping it'd be our tier 3 prospects instead (Ras, Cholo, Tuomisto, Hirose etc.). And now for some laughs at the Sabres expense:

upload_2021-2-23_10-14-14.png

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
even eichel only has two goals this season

something stinks in buffalo

Hall only has one goal.

Part of it is that they're just an awful even strength team. They've scored 18 goals at even strength, but 17 goals with the extra man. It looks like Reinhart and Olofsson are cleaning up. I don't know how you run out a group of guys like Hall, eichel, Skinner, Oloffsson, Reinhart, and Dahlin and can't manage to score at ES. The Wings are lousy and have nearly twice as many ES goals.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Interesting piece in The Athletic about having an equivalent to a "Signature Sneaker" for hockey skates.

I forget where we're at in the hockey world in terms of individual expression on the ice via what they're wearing. I think we still have some people who don't even like high jersey numbers, right?

Remember Fedorov's white skates?

My attitude towards all that is "What's the big deal?" but I don't manage locker rooms. Perhaps looking like you're trying to stand out is super toxic for all I know.

Reactions: Winger98

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Vilardi showing amazing stuff these last two shifts, beating guys with power, agility and skill.
Bjornfot ... looks so much better for the Kings than he did in the WJC.
Simple but smart game.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Vilardi showing amazing stuff these last two shifts, beating guys with power, agility and skill.
Bjornfot ... looks so much better for the Kings than he did in the WJC.
Simple but smart game.
The Kings are my second favorite team with Detroit rebuilding. Athanasiou was a guy who I felt would thrive on the third line of a good hockey team, he's looking good on Jeff Carter's line.

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009
Anyone ever attended an NHL Winter Classic/Outdoor Game in-person?

From my arguably ignorant outside looking in point of view, I feel like if your main objective is to watch hockey then that has to be one of the most overrated and expensive experiences ever. What can you actually see without help from the screens?

But I suppose you at least get to look cool by telling people you were there.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Anyone ever attended an NHL Winter Classic/Outdoor Game in-person?

From my arguably ignorant outside looking in point of view, I feel like if your main objective is to watch hockey then that has to be one of the most overrated and expensive experiences ever. What can you actually see without help from the screens?

But I suppose you at least get to look cool by telling people you were there.

I've seen....

2009 Winter Classic, Wings-Hawks, at Wrigley Field
- This was the second WC so still far from being a gimmick. Was expensive, cold and windy. But I had pretty good seats with a decent view, and the game was awesome, huge hype, great comeback win for the good guys, got to rub in the face of Chicagoans. Great time, no regrets.

2010 Big Chill, UM-MSU, at Michigan Stadium - Biggest crowd to ever watch a hockey game. Tickets weren't too pricey. Had excellent seats, met up with some old friends, and the good guys won. Great time, no regrets.

2013 Hockey City Classic, ND-Miami & Wisc-Minn, Soldier Field - I won't call it a throwaway experience, but in terms of the games, I didn't really care about any of the teams (though I did try to watch Wings' pick Ben Marshall on the Gophers). I went with like 10 other guys I play hockey with. We drank before, during, and after the games and I don't remember the last few hours of the night at the bar. I know the next day I checked my phone and found out I uber'd home and I didn't puke, so that was a win. Great time, probably have regrets, but don't remember them.

2013 NHL Alumni Game(s), Wings-Leafs, Comerica Park - Two back-to-back shortened games (I think it was maybe two 20-minute halves for both games). Was really awesome to see so many legendary alumni out there. Fedorov and the Russian Five (minus Vladdy of course, though he was there), Red Berenson, Scotty Bowman coaching, Lidstrom, Shanny, Cheli, personal fav Dougie Brown, and Homer won the second game in a shootout lol. Great time, no regrets.

2015 Hockey City Classic, WMU-Miami & UM-MSU, Soldier Field - Good friend from college was the Director of Hockey Operations for Michigan Hockey at the time, so free tickets. Good game, Michigan won again. I was honestly pretty burnt out on outdoor games by this time, but this one was so easy and convenient. And free. Couldn't pass it up.

My teams went 5-0, so no t disappointments. But then I closed the book on outdoor games for myself. Definitely over them. Too gimmicky now, the charm has worn off, and if I'm outside with hockey involved, I require that I be playing.

Thanks for this topic, was fun racking my brain remembering this list and some of the details.

Last edited:
Reactions: FabricDetails

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009
I've seen....

2009 Winter Classic, Wings-Hawks, at Wrigley Field
- This was the second WC so still far from being a gimmick. Was expensive, cold and windy. But I had pretty good seats with a decent view, and the game was awesome, huge hype, great comeback win for the good guys, got to rub in the face of Chicagoans. Great time, no regrets.

2010 Big Chill, UM-MSU, at Michigan Stadium - Biggest crowd to ever watch a hockey game. Tickets weren't too pricey. Had excellent seats, met up with some old friends, and the good guys won. Great time, no regrets.

2013 Hockey City Classic, ND-Miami & Wisc-Minn, Soldier Field - I won't call it a throwaway experience, but in terms of the games, I didn't really care about any of the teams (though I did try to watch Wings' pick Ben Marshall on the Gophers). I went with like 10 other guys I play hockey with. We drank before, during, and after the games and I don't remember the last few hours of the night at the bar. I know the next day I checked my phone and found out I uber'd home and I didn't puke, so that was a win. Great time, probably have regrets, but don't remember them.

2013 NHL Alumni Game(s), Wings-Leafs, Comerica Park - Two back-to-back shortened games (I think it was maybe two 20-minute halves for both games). Was really awesome to see so many legendary alumni out there. Fedorov and the Russian Five (minus Vladdy of course, though he was there), Red Berenson, Scotty Bowman coaching, Lidstrom, Shanny, Cheli, personal fav Dougie Brown, and Homer won the second game in a shootout lol. Great time, no regrets.

2015 Hockey City Classic, WMU-Miami & UM-MSU, Soldier Field - Good friend from college was the Director of Hockey Operations for Michigan Hockey at the time, so free tickets. Good game, Michigan won again. I was honestly pretty burnt out on outdoor games by this time, but this one was so easy and convenient. And free. Couldn't pass it up.

My teams went 5-0, so no t disappointments. But then I closed the book on outdoor games for myself. Definitely over them. Too gimmicky now, the charm has worn off, and if I'm outside with hockey involved, I require that I be playing.

Thanks for this topic, was fun racking my brain remembering this list and some of the details.

I guess if you can see the game well enough for your own liking then more power to you. Just hard for me to imagine. I'd be like, "I think that ant's head has the puck right now..."

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
I guess if you can see the game well enough for your own liking then more power to you. Just hard for me to imagine. I'd be like, "I think that ant's head has the puck right now..."

I'd put it this way.... even where I couldn't see the game as well as I'd like in an ideal situation, most of these experiences were otherwise so incredible (for me anyway) that it more than made up for some deficiencies with the view. I'll probably never go to an outdoor game again, I'm over them, but even when I wasn't I certainly didn't want to watch a game like that more than once in a while.

Reactions: FabricDetails

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
i wish our stupid team actually put an iota of effort into the reverse retro jerseys... i mean, look at this

I mean it helps when your team has had different colors, logos, designs over the years.

Our options are certainly limited compared to some other teams.

But our reverse retros are absolute shit. At least take one of our winter classic jerseys and flip the colors around or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad