Around the NHL 2020-2021 | Offseason Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Maybe they were talking about when they were drafted? Matthews still takes the cake either way.

Well, how would they know?
Maybe by stat watching?

I think there was some question about Laine overtaking Matthews in a way that Lafreniere didn't face. But I think that says more about who was at #2 and #3 than who was at #1.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Ken Dryden says it's time to install the 3-goal line.

Kidding. It's bigger nets.

So goalies are getting too big. OK...

You scale up the net and, surprise, you're just going to create a hard cap size requirement for all goalies. You'll increase scoring but also mandate only big goalies are viable.

Khudobin just had a monster playoff run at 5'11". Not sure that happens with bigger nets.

And I think bigger nets wouldn't increase on the rush scoring, but more screens and deflections than anything. That's already the most dangerous scenario for a goalie, so adding extra space for pucks to slip by through traffic will sorta create this game of who can slam the most pucks on net.

I'm dubious is what I'm saying.

Reactions: waltdetroit

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Get rid of offsides.
If you want to increase offense in hockey, dump the bluelines.
Let teams naturally play where they want, based on the flow of the game.

When the league allowed forward passing, goal scoring skyrocketed.
The NHL quickly instituted offsides to reduce offense.

In some ways, I think the bluelines create offense, because it forces D into risky plays to hold the line, causing turnovers and oddman rushes.
In someway, I think defensive minded coaches will find away to kill offense... maybe only sending 3 men into the Ozone or something.

On the other hand, I think it would create new passing lanes and angles that give creative players more options.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
4/10

You had minions and signal but didn't go to this gif:

19Wq15P

Also, "bench signal" was right there.

Too old to know what that is

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Too old to know what that is

Here we see a boomer in his habitat showcasing his telltale plumage and vocalization. Note the distinctive patterns and the signature call of "too old" to have even base knowledge of a multi-billion dollar franchise. A gorgeous display against the millennial and the passage of time. Truly, his ignorance is a point of pride and pageantry.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Unironically I don't hate the idea of at least experimenting with it.

Plus think of all the money the NHL could save on blue paint!

If you got rid of offsides would you remove the blue line or would it just become an orienting point? I guess why have it. But damn that would look weird.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
If you got rid of offsides would you remove the blue line or would it just become an orienting point? I guess why have it. But damn that would look weird.
I think the blue line helps skaters orient themselves to where they are on the ice. Also used for icing

Reactions: Bench

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
We need a coach with some clout. A power-stache demands respect & has plenty of clout. See exhibit A. (except Kirk's & Sulu's who look like they get beat up by guys with power-staches in hockey)

View attachment 397750

Need more hockey mullets on this squad. It's a legal performance enhancer. Jagr's career has lasted as long as it did because he grew the mullet again. I bet if Nielsen had a proper mullet we'd see him scoring 50 points again.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Need more hockey mullets on this squad. It's a legal performance enhancer. Jagr's career has lasted as long as it did because he grew the mullet again. I bet if Nielsen had a proper mullet we'd see him scoring 50 points again.

Yes, Jagr has the formula. Duncan Keith is high on "meditative breathing & Joovv lights& attributes them to his renewed energy & success since age 30 (now 37)". Good for us, he & Lankinen will help the Hawks into No Man's Land Mediocrity outside the top10 draft & prolong their rebuild. :laugh:

Hans & Frans look in awe as Ah-nold flexes the Moobs.
upload_2021-2-19_16-53-27.png

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
Yes, Jagr has the formula. Duncan Keith is high on "meditative breathing & Joovv lights& attributes them to his renewed energy & success since age 30 (now 37)". Good for us, he & Lankinen will help the Hawks into No Man's Land Mediocrity outside the top10 draft & prolong their rebuild. :laugh:

Hans & Frans look in awe as Ah-nold flexes the Moobs.
View attachment 398054

I'd bet real money that the Hawks are contenders sooner than we are if Toews and Dach return from their injuries without any long term issues.

If Lankinen is the real deal that team is only missing a real #2-3 defenseman and average depth defensemen to be one of the better teams in the west. They really need to start looking for a replacement for Keith soon, though.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I'd bet real money that the Hawks are contenders sooner than we are if Toews and Dach return from their injuries without any long term issues.

If Lankinen is the real deal that team is only missing a real #2-3 defenseman and average depth defensemen to be one of the better teams in the west. They really need to start looking for a replacement for Keith soon, though.
They need #1-3Dmen. Keith has rebounded a bit, but is probably a very good #4 now. The F's look to be in good shape. I don't think Dach comes back to 100% ever, judging by the 90 degree angle of his wrist, but I know nothing about sports injuries to really know. Guessing Toews is a depression & anxiety + possibly manifested into a physical ailment.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
They need #1-3Dmen. Keith has rebounded a bit, but is probably a very good #4 now. The F's look to be in good shape. I don't think Dach comes back to 100% ever, judging by the 90 degree angle of his wrist, but I know nothing about sports injuries to really know. Guessing Toews is a depression & anxiety + possibly manifested into a physical ailment.

Keith has looked like he's still a #1 guy to me this year. His wheels haven't completely fallen off. But watch Chicago get Hamilton in 2021 and/or Werenski in 2022. Boqvist doesn't look like he'll be a defensive stalwart but the guy could very well run up the points on the powerplay from the looks of it.

And Dach's wrist injury was hideous and will very likely make a major impact on his offensive game by taking away his shot, but if he can come back he's got other tools that will still make him a great all around player. I thought with Toews it was covid related, though.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
They really need to start looking for a replacement for Keith soon, though.

Boqvist. Mitchell. Beaudin.
None will be as good as Keith. But those are three solid defensive prospects. I thought that Beaudin pick was so awful when they made it.
Not sure all make it as smallish offensive defensemen...but credit to Chicago for going with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad