Around the NHL 20-21 pt. 1: the season begins

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
He's also run multiple players out of town (Johansen, Dubois, and now working on Laine)

And now that you mention Panarin, he didn't even consider re-signing with Columbus. He ran for the door. As did Duchene. He's a caustic guy.

Go back to his short lived time in Vancouver or Rangers. The only team I think you could say he had a good relationship with skilled players was the 04 lightning? So 17 years ago.

I get it, he'd be an upgrade over Krueger by a country mile, I'd just hate to see this team turn around, start making the playoffs, never being able to get past the 2nd round because we can't keep enough skilled players because the coach is a dick.

I think a coach that is a dick is exactly what this team needs. We've had "players' coaches" that have not helped with the team's "culture."

Through multiple coaches we've seen this team be mentally fragile and panic if they give up a goal. I don't think that Torts would be a cure all hire. But, I wouldn't mind seeing what happens if he were to be the next Sabres coach.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I think a coach that is a dick is exactly what this team needs. We've had "players' coaches" that have not helped with the team's "culture."

Through multiple coaches we've seen this team be mentally fragile and panic if they give up a goal. I don't think that Torts would be a cure all hire. But, I wouldn't mind seeing what happens if he were to be the next Sabres coach.
I just want a coach that knows what he is doing.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Darryl Sutter making an early positive impact
Sutter’s formula isn’t complicated or novel, but it’s effective and proven. Much like his time in Los Angeles, Sutter preaches a few central principles: control offensive zone possession, put pucks towards the net, and pressure relentlessly without it. He hasn’t overhauled anything structurally, but has attempted to change the mindset.

At the core of it all is one of Sutter’s favourite two-word terms: shot volume. For the Flames to be successful, he believes they need to win the shot attempt battle on a nightly basis. For us analytics nerds, it’s a head coach talking Corsi and it’s paramount importance. It ain’t new from Sutter, however, as that philosophy drove his teams for six seasons with the Kings.

Concepts and principles aren't bad if they're defined in terms that are comprehensible.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

I don't know how many of you have been following the Dom vs the twins (Evolving Hockey guys) stuff on twitter lately, but this latest post is pure gold.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Haven't at all - care to give some back story?

Goes back to the offseason - there was an online discussion about the different expected goals models and Dom made some remarks about how the twins' model is biased towards defensive metrics. He remarked that this shouldn't be a surprise since they're fans of the Wild, and for years the Wild have played boring defensive hockey.

Fast forward to the season and Kaprizov actually makes the Wild games watchable. At first Dom continues to mock the twins, then watches a few games and agrees that the Wild may be good, then eventually Dom changes his twitter handle to something along the lines of "#1 Wild fan" to be snarky.

In the latest exchange I posted, EW posted about how the Wild probably aren't actually that good of a team, but now's not the time for a deep dive on that. Hence Dom retweeting it to the team's official twitter account, where they ackowledge that they've muted the twins and are there for the real fans (in this case referring to the fake Wild fan - Dom).

Reactions: GellMann

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

Pens are getting good at this type of hit

I’m not really understanding the outrage over the 5 min penalty- you’re not supposed to hit guys headed to the boards like that cause it can cause injury. Like what we saw here. So.. we all like hitting, but when the dude is flying towards the wall like that- hold up. Save a dude a head injury.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I’m not really understanding the outrage over the 5 min penalty- you’re not supposed to hit guys headed to the boards like that cause it can cause injury. Like what we saw here. So.. we all like hitting, but when the dude is flying towards the wall like that- hold up. Save a dude a head injury.

Is that a new rule he can’t hit him there? It’s easy to say at slow motion he was defenseless, but in real-time it was not even a half a second play from puck release to body contact. There was no targeting, it wasn’t from behind, there was no charging, he didn’t jump at the guy.

it’s an unfortunate result from an average hit at real time speed. I know we are fans of Sabres hockey, but you are allowed to hit guys that have the puck.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Is that a new rule he can’t hit him there? It’s easy to say at slow motion he was defenseless, but in real-time it was not even a half a second play from puck release to body contact. There was no targeting, it wasn’t from behind, there was no charging, he didn’t jump at the guy.

it’s an unfortunate result from an average hit at real time speed. I know we are fans of Sabres hockey, but you are allowed to hit guys that have the puck.

By the wording of the rule that is boarding, so I don't have a problem with the penalty. However that exact play happens thousands of times a season without consequence.

Tanev is payed to hit everything that moves, so I think he saw a guy with the puck and his reaction was to hit him. I don't think there was any consideration of catching the player at the perfect moment in a vulnerable position or using the boards to enhance the hit. But it was definitely scary to see such an unfortunate result. Hopefully Tinordi is ok.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
By the wording of the rule that is boarding, so I don't have a problem with the penalty. However that exact play happens thousands of times a season without consequence.

Tanev is payed to hit everything that moves, so I think he saw a guy with the puck and his reaction was to hit him. I don't think there was any consideration of catching the player at the perfect moment in a vulnerable position or using the boards to enhance the hit. But it was definitely scary to see such an unfortunate result. Hopefully Tinordi is ok.

I'm not in agreement with the whole defenseless aspect of the rule that's why I didn't agree with it being boarding, especially at that speed and timing of the play. But even with them going with boarding, I completely disagree with it being a Major Penalty AND a game misconduct.

It was an ugly result for sure.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Flyers getting boatraced by the Rangers sans their coaching staff. Rare case of both fanbases simultaneously melting down and calling for their coach to be fired

Reactions: joshjull and Kyndig
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad