Around the NHL 20-21 pt. 1: the season begins

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
When is your country going to open up for outside travelers? You think a couple years? I was supposed to go there for 3 weeks in April of 2020 before covid hit.
I dunno. Our government is playing it ultra conservative. Which is great, it gives us almost complete freedom within our borders. No social distancing, no restrictions on sports events, festivals, the America’s a cup etc (barring a few periods where we’ve had a few community cases be gone into half-lockdown until we’re sure it stops). We don’t even let Australians in without a quarantine.

I believe there’s nothing stopping visitors technically coming, it’s the two weeks’ forced hotel quarantine at your own cost that is the killer.

I have a suspicion that as the vaccines (hopefully) start providing some stability countries will start opening up bilateral deals with certain criteria that travellers have to evidence. The only countries I’ve heard any discussion about NZ doing any possible loosening of border controls are with are the Cook Islands and Australia.

sorry, long winded answer. The short answer is I have no idea.

I remember you saying you were going to go hiking down in the South Island or something. It’s amazing for that when you do get here. I’m planning a three day, 37 mile (60km) trip for the end of this year at the very bottom of the South.

Reactions: EichHart

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Oof. Binnington more and more seems to be a pretty average goalie. I guess I don't mind 6M given his recent history. But the 6 years is a big oof.

That deal for Binner seems a lot like the Murray deal in Ottawa.

The goalie market right now is so tough. Every team needs solid goaltending. So, if a guy has a little success, there is a push to lock them in even though everyone knows there will be ups and downs along the way.

What the Sabres do with Ullmark will be interesting.

Reactions: IlikeEich

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Torts is fine if you are going to run a team full of veteran grinders. He doesn't do well with Skill players.

Lazy comment.

Well known grinders - the likes of Seth Jones & Artemy Panarin - have had huge success playing for him.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Lazy comment.

Well known grinders - the likes of Seth Jones & Artemy Panarin - have had huge success playing for him.
Not really. Basically if your game is mainly offensive and you miss a back check, your stapled to the bench. Skinner would literally be stapled to a janitor's closet.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Kaprizov with a hatty in a 4-0 win. But, yeah, they're totally more entertaining because *checks notes* Bruce Boudreau is not their coach.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Lazy comment.

He's also run multiple players out of town (Johansen, Dubois, and now working on Laine)

And now that you mention Panarin, he didn't even consider re-signing with Columbus. He ran for the door. As did Duchene. He's a caustic guy.

Go back to his short lived time in Vancouver or Rangers. The only team I think you could say he had a good relationship with skilled players was the 04 lightning? So 17 years ago.

I get it, he'd be an upgrade over Krueger by a country mile, I'd just hate to see this team turn around, start making the playoffs, never being able to get past the 2nd round because we can't keep enough skilled players because the coach is a dick.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Lazy comment.

he doesn't do well with skill players who aren't competing in all areas. we have a lot of them. either he turns them around or its another catastrophe.

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
He's also run multiple players out of town (Johansen, Dubois, and now working on Laine)

And now that you mention Panarin, he didn't even consider re-signing with Columbus. He ran for the door. As did Duchene. He's a caustic guy.

Go back to his short lived time in Vancouver or Rangers. The only team I think you could say he had a good relationship with skilled players was the 04 lightning? So 17 years ago.

I get it, he'd be an upgrade over Krueger by a country mile, I'd just hate to see this team turn around, start making the playoffs, never being able to get past the 2nd round because we can't keep enough skilled players because the coach is a dick.
Panarin left Columbus because he only wanted to play in one city in the entire league (which is exactly where he went).

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
He gets SOMETHING out of his players, which is huge, but I question whether he gets the most out of the players.

Buts he’s better than anything we’ve had in years. I probably would be fine with it, but would need to be prepared for his shtick wearing thin.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004

As said - you are wrong when you say he can't 'keep' skilled players.

Most of the guys he has fallen out with are justifiable imo. If the likes of Laine played for us - most of us would hate him too. I guarantee that.

After all this time - having a coach that actually demands accountability would be a godsend.

The only thing I'm willing to admit would be a potential problem with him is Skinner.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
As said - you are wrong when you say he can't 'keep' skilled players.

Most of the guys he has fallen out with are justifiable imo. If the likes of Laine played for us - most of us would hate him too. I guarantee that.

After all this time - having a coach that actually demands accountability would be a godsend.

The only thing I'm willing to admit would be a potential problem with him is Skinner.

How would have done with Kucherov? With Patrick Kane? Hell with Jack Eichel.

As I said before, Torts would be a huge upgrade over Krueger. However, he's going to have a limited shelf life and certain guys simply aren't going to work well with him. Should also note: if you hire Torts you might as well figure in Skinners buyout number into his coaching cost.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
How would have done with Kucherov? With Patrick Kane? Hell with Jack Eichel.

As I said before, Torts would be a huge upgrade over Krueger. However, he's going to have a limited shelf life and certain guys simply aren't going to work well with him. Should also note: if you hire Torts you might as well figure in Skinners buyout number into his coaching cost.

why? Jeff though not a selke level player, will at least try when he plays. I think Torts being the same guy with everyone wouldn’t be an issue compared to how Ralph has been.

Not to mention Torts actually has a record that is respectable. It would be easier for a guy like Jack to buy in I’m thinking as well. Torts has shown to coach a competitive team.

I don’t think the main problem with the team is them trying, it’s them being coached horrible systems and being made to make chicken salad out of chicken s***.

Reactions: joshjull
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad