Around the NHL 20-21 pt. 1: the season begins

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Sources: NHL, ESPN reach seven-year U.S. broadcast deal

I hate ESPN. I don't want to have to pay for cable to get it, so I hope its carried over to ESPN+ or whatever their streaming service is.
There was no confirmation from the NHL on an agreement that is expected to see ESPN get the rights to broadcast four Stanley Cup Finals between 2022 and 2028, plus streaming rights for Disney.

Disney Plus is the streaming service. Fighting and cussing will be banned.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
ESPN deal is huge. Salary cap about to go way up.

Financial terms of the deal weren't immediately available, nor was it clear which other media company would split the package with ESPN.

I wouldn't count on that.

A lot of people have talked about how the NHL needed to take less money from ESPN for the upside of getting more eyeballs on the sport.

I wouldn't assume anything about the financial package. Especially given how the pandemic has hurt TV ratings. The timing of this couldn't be worse for the NHL.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I wouldn't count on that.

A lot of people have talked about how the NHL needed to take less money from ESPN for the upside of getting more eyeballs on the sport.

I wouldn't assume anything about the financial package. Especially given how the pandemic has hurt TV ratings. The timing of this couldn't be worse for the NHL.

So par for the course for the NHL?

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
There was no confirmation from the NHL on an agreement that is expected to see ESPN get the rights to broadcast four Stanley Cup Finals between 2022 and 2028, plus streaming rights for Disney.

Disney Plus is the streaming service. Fighting and cussing will be banned.

Hey, the NFL on Nickelodeon worked

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

That’s up from 2 billion over 10yrs from NBC. Doubling the yearly take from 200mil to 400mil. That’s roughly 12.5 per for each of the 32 teams. Up from 6.5mil per 31 teams.

Plus that number will be going up. They still have another rights deal to go that can be added to that amount

Last edited:
Reactions: WeDislikeEich

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011

Seems like some sort of warning shot to the creditors? As in "Don't bleed me too dry or you won't get a darned thing"???

Not 100% sure why he'd do it otherwise.....................

No idea why the Sharks are entering into Kane's mess

How would they void Kane's contract without a material breach, or is there a material breach they aren't specifying? They could buy him out, but then the creditors would go after it

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
No idea why the Sharks are entering into Kane's mess

How would they void Kane's contract without a material breach, or is there a material breach they aren't specifying? They could buy him out, but then the creditors would go after it

The article seems to imply that with Kane in Federal Bankruptcy court, the normal CBA rules might not apply. So Kane and SJ might be able to reach a deal on a mutual termination with no buyout. Kane would then be a FA and free from his creditors.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The article seems to imply that with Kane in Federal Bankruptcy court, the normal CBA rules might not apply. So Kane and SJ might be able to reach a deal on a mutual termination with no buyout. Kane would then be a FA and free from his creditors.

So, kind of like the Berglund situation.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011

Ah, I forgot about the mutual contract termination

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

Since he used contract to back the debt, they effectively have a lien on his contract. I have to think any court would step in and stop a mutual termination.

That would prevent a 'mutual termination' like Berglund and the Sabres had.

I'm sure the sharks would love to get out of the rest of that deal for Kane, even though he's still reasonably productive.

Reactions: Jim Bob
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad