Around the NHL 11 - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
since the cap-era started (2005) there's been 2 vezina winners that have won the cup for a total of 3x. those 2 goalies being vas & thomas, excluding 43-year old hasek who got usurped by osgood during those POs. it def helps but not absolutely necessary. esp. when goaltending in the POs can be a lot about who gets hot (or cold) at the right time.
I'm not talking winners - I'm talking nominee vezina level... and it's more about Stanley cup finals than the cup itself because that last series is a crapshoot

So fleury, giguere, quick, etc... this is what k consider vezina goalies

Last edited:

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
I think Rittich using Helles number is a real tribute. I think a Verona goalie really raises the level of goaltending in an organization. Other goalies learning from the master..

Our goalie coach is probably one of the more important people in the organization. Only coach spared from the purge.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
I think Rittich using Helles number is a real tribute. I think a Verona goalie really raises the level of goaltending in an organization. Other goalies learning from the master..

Our goalie coach is probably one of the more important people in the organization. Only coach spared from the purge.
Helly is very close with Wade. As long as Helly is the Jets starter Wade's job is safe.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Buffalo's gonna be going from the blue side to the red side after tonight.

Remember after Comrie played four games in Buffalo and all the talk was about how we dropped the ball by letting him go?
Comrie would look a lot better behind the Jets than the Sabres but ya, they need a goalie badly and Levi should be in Rochester.
He let in 3 goals in 17 shots tonight in relief.

They have close to 8m in capspace and there goalies make 1.75m, 925k, 837.5k. Their GM needs to make a move for Saros or Gibson or somebody. They are missing a lot of good years by some pretty good players.

I'd clean house over the summer if it were me. GM and coaches are not very good. Horrible owner though.

Reactions: roccerfeller

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Buffalo is another team that needs to admit that a three-goalie system is bound to fail. Send Comrie down, let Luukkonen play as the starter (he's the only one winning them games right now), and run with what you have. They chose to give their young goalies a chance, so it blows my mind that they still hang on to Comrie.

I had them going to the playoffs. Christ.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Buffalo only manages 11 shots tonight. Some rebuilds just never end.
A perfect illustration that a good team requires more than skill.

The right types of players, coaching, leadership and culture are all extremely important.

Why can't the Leafs beat bad teams?
Superiority complex.

If you think you are better than your opponent you aren't going to take them seriously.

Reactions: DeepFrickinValue

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
A perfect illustration that a good team requires more than skill.

The right types of players, coaching, leadership and culture are all extremely important.

Superiority complex.

If you think you are better than your opponent you aren't going to take them seriously.

Yeah they seem to just be holding young players and prospects. They have a great pool that they should now be utilizing to bring in key support pieces and a goalie to help their very talented young core. That is what Jersey did, they brought in good players like Marino, Hamilton etc to help their young players out. Buffalo will soon be paying big dollars to their young guys they need to start winning.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yeah they seem to just be holding young players and prospects. They have a great pool that they should now be utilizing to bring in key support pieces and a goalie to help their very talented young core. That is what Jersey did, they brought in good players like Marino, Hamilton etc to help their young players out. Buffalo will soon be paying big dollars to their young guys they need to start winning.
There are plenty of cautionary tales from franchises that tanked for a full rebuild and still haven't recovered. The notion that you can just torch a team and burn it to the ground and then build it around a few high picks ignores the long-term impact of a losing culture, and the uncertainty of trying to time a rebuild around a few top players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad