Hell on Earth... err...ice...

:popcorn:
1683861128879.png

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I will never get over the Scheif penalty. What just made it worse was them stating because Pietrangelo has never been suspended or fined before was why they didn't give a harsher penalty. Scheif's was a hit on a guy with his head down. This was a blatant assault and attempt to injure.

The Montreal moron also made a direct move from behind the net and disrespected the pursuing player... he created the vulnerable position by making a move he would never do in the regular season... I think he knew it was Chef and figured "He's a light weight... ahhh screw him"...

Then Chef finished his check hard for the first time all season...

Was a clean check in My opinion... Montreal Original 6 cry... 4 game suspension ensues...

seinfeld-devil.gif

tenor.gif

:laugh:

None

Feb 22, 2012
None, do you remember the DOPS’s contention about the Scheifele hit on Jake “Keep Your Head Up” Evans? IIRC the sticking point was he delivered the hit, not as a hockey play, but as an attempt to injure, with the outcome of the game already “decided.” So, what happened here?

Also, I remember playing Bully when I was a young lad. Fun game. You’ve convinced me to give it another whirl after Red Dead. Agreed on the music too. Super catchy. I liked a lot of the classroom mini games too.

I'm not sure I remember it described as not being a hockey play but I do remember the part about the game having already been decided as a reason for why it was considered so egregious. I'm guessing the same old inconsistent DoPS is just living up to their reputation. They probably look at penalties in a vacuum, only using previous slashing penalties to assess discipline for other slashing penalties. Considering the hits to the head the various department heads have also taken I'm guessing they probably also just don't even remember the justifications from previous discipline rulings.

I think they play loose with how they evaluate intent based on how the player approaches the hearing. I still maintain that Scheifele probably went into the hearing the absolute wrong way. The way he responded to it afterwards publicly showed he had little remorse and still thought it was just another hockey play. His hearing probably went the same way.
If he had shown remorse and admitted that the head contact was entirely incidental I think he probably gets 1-2 games rather than the 4 he ended up with.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I will never get over the Scheif penalty. What just made it worse was them stating because Pietrangelo has never been suspended or fined before was why they didn't give a harsher penalty. Scheif's was a hit on a guy with his head down. This was a blatant assault and attempt to injure.
Fete never had a charging penalty in his life, and his ONE Unsportsmanlike, which confused half of the PHWA when he got it, was for rolling his eyes at a ref. He was like Ned Flanders levels of clean.

I'm not sure I remember it described as not being a hockey play but I do remember the part about the game having already been decided as a reason for why it was considered so egregious. I'm guessing the same old inconsistent DoPS is just living up to their reputation. They probably look at penalties in a vacuum, only using previous slashing penalties to assess discipline for other slashing penalties. Considering the hits to the head the various department heads have also taken I'm guessing they probably also just don't even remember the justifications from previous discipline rulings.

I think they play loose with how they evaluate intent based on how the player approaches the hearing. I still maintain that Scheifele probably went into the hearing the absolute wrong way. The way he responded to it afterwards publicly showed he had little remorse and still thought it was just another hockey play. His hearing probably went the same way.
If he had shown remorse and admitted that the head contact was entirely incidental I think he probably gets 1-2 games rather than the 4 he ended up with.
It’s not Parros’s job to over-suspend players for contempt of court.

None

Feb 22, 2012
It’s not Parros’s job to over-suspend players for contempt of court.

If only it were held like court :laugh:

There's a lot of theatre to the rulings to make them appear as if they're assessing them like an impartial judge. I'd be surprised if they didn't already have a general idea of the punishment before the hearing with the player. The player is only there to justify why the act deserves a lesser punishment.

Reactions: kanadalainen

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Love seeing the Canes succeed. This should be an organization that the Jets model themselves after. Their success is a great counter to all those who try to explain away the Jets lack of success to "small market that can't attract FA and star trades". No one is clamoring to sign in Raleigh. When's the last time the Canes signed a big-name FA? And as far as trades go, they haven't traded for star power either. They even had a franchise talent in Adam Fox force his way out of the club and yet they just keep chugging along.

That is a great organization where everyone is pulling in the same direction. I wish one day the Jets could be as on it and disciplined as an organization as Carolina.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Love seeing the Canes succeed. This should be an organization that the Jets model themselves after. Their success is a great counter to all those who try to explain away the Jets lack of success to "small market that can't attract FA and star trades". No one is clamoring to sign in Raleigh. When's the last time the Canes signed a big-name FA? And as far as trades go, they haven't traded for star power either. They even had a franchise talent in Adam Fox force his way out of the club and yet they just keep chugging along.

That is a great organization where everyone is pulling in the same direction. I wish one day the Jets could be as on it and disciplined as an organization as Carolina.

They also have an amazing analytics department that seems to dictate a lot of their moves. It seems their assistant GM spearheads it. I'd love to poach him and make him GM.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021

Summed up perfectly. They have a next man up philosophy that they live by and you can tell that they all play within the confines of their system.

Down Svechnikov, Terravainen and Pacioretty and they still find a way to get it done.

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country

Bravo, YES!

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

I'm also a big fan of the Carolina organization and how they've built their team. They haven't had any big UFA signings, at least with this core group, but I'll still point out Brent Burns and Brady Skjei, both fairly important contributors this season, have NTCs that they either waived for Carolina, or didn't have Carolina on their list.

I think Raleigh is a pretty nice place for a hockey player. The slight advantage they have is I don't see Raleigh on the list of placed most frequently included on NTC lists.

Aries56

Jan 10, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I'm also a big fan of the Carolina organization and how they've built their team. They haven't had any big UFA signings, at least with this core group, but I'll still point out Brent Burns and Brady Skjei, both fairly important contributors this season, have NTCs that they either waived for Carolina, or didn't have Carolina on their list.

I think Raleigh is a pretty nice place for a hockey player. The slight advantage they have is I don't see Raleigh on the list of placed most frequently included on NTC lists.
I think we could find a player that fills the role that Skjei has been filling. Dillon isn't that far off.
Finding a Brent Burns would be difficult though.

I think Carolina has the edge in coaching too. It's been said that players would go through a wall for Brind'Amour.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
I think we could find a player that fills the role that Skjei has been filling. Dillon isn't that far off.
Finding a Brent Burns would be difficult though.

I think Carolina has the edge in coaching too. It's been said that players would go through a wall for Brind'Amour.
Just seems many American franchises are run like proper businesses.

Canada and Winnipeg are still old boys towns. Part of the reason no cup in 30 years.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I think all the teams left in the playoffs are burning excess money over the cap with LTIR

We are not going to do that and I think the league should actually put a stop to it
LTIR

Seattle - $14,725
Dallas - $0
Vegas - $13,959,761
Edmonton - $8,469,504
Carolina - $5,203,858
Florida - $4,891,384
Toronto - $6,564,782

Of note:

Winnipeg - $0

Status
Not open for further replies.