Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I gotta ask...

What do we all think about Paul taking the struggling Presidents Trophy 8th place Panthers to the Western Conference Finals?

Multiple Choice:

A) It's Luck.

B) Coaching Strategy.

C) Having a Roster with Heart that that Pushes Back.

D) BOB

I agree, it's a combination of B and C. A coach doesn't have to be a strategic genius if he gets the players motivated AND they fully buy into his system. That team/coach combination will outplay other teams that don't bring the combination of 110% commitment and hard work + a coach in which they believe most times - like 4 out of 7 times.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
The other thing that's absolutely hilarious is how pumped Toronto fans were for Florida to beat Boston........

Like I always say -- the only person you should fear more than the giants are the giant-killers.

I gotta ask...

What do we all think about Paul taking the struggling Presidents Trophy 8th place Panthers to the Western Conference Finals?

Multiple Choice:

A) It's Luck.

B) Coaching Strategy.

D) BOB
A and D, with D being a significant part of A.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
With the east selling the farm this past trade deadline, you have to wonder whether one or more will be willing to move roster players for either a 1st round pick or other roster players.

That might be good for us to perhaps get players on our roster whom we may not normally have been able to get?

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
I gotta ask...

Multiple Choice:

A) It's Luck.

B) Coaching Strategy.

D) BOB
Answer: C

PoMo is a decent coach, but his players are all in. Most importantly the coach and the players are synched.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

PoMo is a decent coach, but his players are all in. Most importantly the coach and the players are synched.

Florida actually has the perfect roster for his preferred style. He likes a physical aggressive forecheck and he likes simplified offense and that is what his players mostly specialize in.

I'm not surprised to see him have success with that roster. It's a good match between player type an coaching philosophy.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Well if people want to see an example of a blown window look at Toronto. They essentially drated their core over the same period we did ours.

Reilly 4th in 2012
Nylander 8th in 2014
Manner 4th in 2015
Mathews 1st in 2016

They have also managed to sign a marquee top C FA.

They will likely have one won round to show for it and face the same types of questions this summer with two of their core players a year out from FA that we do.

Last edited:

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I gotta ask...

Multiple Choice:

A) It's Luck.

B) Coaching Strategy.

D) BOB

It’s all Maurice, baybee.

Look, he took a President’s Trophy team that FLOPPED last year in a second round sweep, and has already defeated the record shattering Bruins and is on the verge of defeating the league overall fourth ranked team.

This is Maurice hockey and he’s instilled some fight into these previous puddy tats.

why weren’t the players “all in” last year? What changed this year? :)

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Looks like the Leafs used up all of their puck luck against the Lightning. Great to see the Panthers up 3-0. Let's Go Panthers!

The Panthers couldn't string together more than 3 wins in a row all season, until right before the playoff where they put together a 6 game winning streak that got them into the post season, as the Penguins faltered. Good time to peak. Now they have won 6 playoff games in a row against the President's Trophy winner, and another leader in the east. Incredible run given the competition. I think there is a small sample anomaly going on here. Pretty much any of those 6 games could have gone either way.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Look, he took a President’s Trophy team that FLOPPED last year in a second round sweep, and has already defeated the record shattering Bruins and is on the verge of defeating the league overall fourth ranked team.

This is Maurice hockey and he’s instilled some fight into these previous puddy tats.

They were all in last year as well. The Panthers were a juggernaut. They just ran into an experienced Tampa team firing on all cylinders. Vas also was superhuman that round posting a .981 save percentage.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
So Hischier gets mad about the way Jersey played in game 2 and says all the Jersey players better be pissed off and the very next game it looked like the team listened and they come out flying and put a beat down on Carolina. That's what i hope one day our Jets are like and worry more about their effort and play than having their feelings hurt by our coach.

TommyKillian

Dec 12, 2013
It is hard to be a Jets fan at times, but if I were a Leaf fan I would be extremely depressed. the amount of talent they have is unreal. Yet so little to show for on the ice. With that being said, go Panthers!
Totally agree. I think this might actually be worse than another first round exit, unless they somehow fight back (which they've never shown an ability to do).

They have nothing to blame anymore. There's no major injuries, they went all in at the trade deadline, there's no COVID hockey, there is no more first round curse, they don't have the Lightning or Bruins standing before them... they just have the "lowly" Panthers, and they still can't do it.

Objectively speaking, I think they are a well-built and very well-coached regular season team. But they never put enough emphasis on goaltending, and galaxy-brained the trade deadline such that the team they are icing in the playoffs has none of the cohesion other teams spent the entire season building up. They have 6 or 7 guys that were added in or around the trade deadline who are now taking regular minutes from the players that already won tons of games for them.

They've made it to what is essentially their promised land (first second round in 18 years!) and completely floundered at the gates. If they get swept heads should and will roll in Toronto. Mind you, heads should probably roll either way.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada

This is getting so tiresome.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
They were all in last year as well. The Panthers were a juggernaut. They just ran into an experienced Tampa team firing on all cylinders. Vas also was superhuman that round posting a .981 save percentage.
Yeah, plus I’ve been browsing the main board Leafs vs Panthers thread and basking in all the salt, and, well, as an unintended side effect to this I’ve read some Panthers fans give some explanations for their team’s improved postseason play, and many suggest it’s actually Tkachuk who has done more to help with that.

Seems Huberdeau is a good player, but not one who is built for the playoffs, whereas Tkachuk is tailor-made for that type of game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad