Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
LA has been on fire since the TD. Thankful that they did the job against the Flames.

Reactions: Jets 31

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
That makes us 14.56 on team stats. Pretty much screams wildcard.

Yeah maybe our forward and finishing talent is overrated. We tended to outscore our metrics a few years ago but now we finish slightly worse then them. Doesn't help that we have had a number of injuries to our top 6 guys this year. Perfetti is out, Ehlers missed almost half a year and isn't 100%, PLD is clearly also not 100%.

The good news is we have significantly improved our defensive play and that was the number 1 focus this year.

Maybe next year we can rebuild our offensive game and get some more luck on the injury front.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I guess it could always be worse....

Calgary

They have an NHL high 41 games decided by a goal, with 26 of them ending in losses (also a league high). Fifteen losses in overtime or the shootout … yep, yet another league leading category. They’ve hit the most posts (77 and counting), and are the only team yet to manage a third-period comeback. And they have a whopping 21 losses when outshooting opponents by at least 10 — which is the most in NHL history.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I guess it could always be worse....

Calgary

They have an NHL high 41 games decided by a goal, with 26 of them ending in losses (also a league high). Fifteen losses in overtime or the shootout … yep, yet another league leading category. They’ve hit the most posts (77 and counting), and are the only team yet to manage a third-period comeback. And they have a whopping 21 losses when outshooting opponents by at least 10 — which is the most in NHL history.

The last sentence says it all. They have been sunk by shitty goaltending this season.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I’ve been cheering for the Panthers all along. Being in the East their success has no impact on our chances. Looking pretty good both the Jets and Panthers make it at this point.

Looks to be a changing of the guard in the east. The aging Pens and Caps are on the downswing and a number of younger teams are on the upswing.

The Panthers have a damn good forward core and should have been a shoe in to make it. It seems they have been playing like they can lately.

It also seems there is going to be a push from the Sens and Wings to also get in over the next few seasons.

Gordon112358

Nov 1, 2022
The last sentence says it all. They have been sunk by shitty goaltending this season.
I still find shots on goal to be something of an anomaly. I don't have the data handy to back this up but it seems to me the Jets won a lot of games in the first half of the season while being outshot. Lately they have been outshooting teams and losing most of them.
At the end of the day it's high quality chances that matter. How that is measured it not an exact science. But lately the Jets have been doing a ton of perimeter shooting and allowing a lot of high quality chances in spite of them holding teams to sometimes 25 shots or less.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Amazing how a goalie can make or break a coach... Sutter under fire in calgary big time... now kadri barking about him

Wonder if boudreau ends up there

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I still find shots on goal to be something of an anomaly. I don't have the data handy to back this up but it seems to me the Jets won a lot of games in the first half of the season while being outshot. Lately they have been outshooting teams and losing most of them.
At the end of the day it's high quality chances that matter. How that is measured it not an exact science. But lately the Jets have been doing a ton of perimeter shooting and allowing a lot of high quality chances in spite of them holding teams to sometimes 25 shots or less.
Id like the nhl to chart secondary chances or rebounds on the boxscore

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Amazing how a goalie can make or break a coach... Sutter under fire in calgary big time... now kadri barking about him

Jonathan Huberdeau with 47 points this year, won't even attain half of his 115 from last year, signed until 2031. Naz with 49, -17, after hitting 85 last year. With Markstrom's decline too that should be a buyer beware on over 30 contracts. Huberdeau turns 30 by the time the new contract kicks in...

And the Flames are in a similar predicament to us, with Lindholm, Backlund, Toffoli and Hanifin all UFAs at the end of next year.

Sutter may get the axe but Treviling won't last long with $23.5 million of Cap space invested in Huberdeau, Kadri and Markstrom for several years, if you get the same results from those 3.

Clearly the season Tkachuk is having in Florida would indicate that the Flames lost that trade.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Yeah maybe our forward and finishing talent is overrated. We tended to outscore our metrics a few years ago but now we finish slightly worse then them. Doesn't help that we have had a number of injuries to our top 6 guys this year. Perfetti is out, Ehlers missed almost half a year and isn't 100%, PLD is clearly also not 100%.

The good news is we have significantly improved our defensive play and that was the number 1 focus this year.

Maybe next year we can rebuild our offensive game and get some more luck on the injury front.
Their effort is over-rated... and we are somehow back to playing scheif 21-22 mins a game and him gliding off the ice

Dont understand the plan anymore but if you can constantly demote ehlers then same can be said for scheif

Barron-pld-nino
Kfc-names-ehlers
Lowry-scheif-apples
Ajf-gus-wheels

I mean what have we got to lose at this point? Find a line that can score dirty goals

Jonathan Huberdeau with 47 points this year, won't even attain half of his 115 from last year, signed until 2031. Naz with 49, -17, after hitting 85 last year. With Markstrom's decline too that should be a buyer beware on over 30 contracts. Huberdeau turns 30 by the time the new contract kicks in...

And the Flames are in a similar predicament to us, with Lindholm, Backlund, Toffoli and Hanifin all UFAs at the end of next year.

Sutter may get the axe but Treviling won't last long with $23.5 million of Cap space invested in Huberdeau, Kadri and Markstrom for several years, if you get the same results from those 3.

Clearly the season Tkachuk is having in Florida would indicate that the Flames lost that trade.
No way il declare a trade won or lost in season one...

I fully believe tkachuk can implode a room just like his dad...

If markstrom finds his game next season then suddenly the flames are competing for first

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Their effort is over-rated... and we are somehow back to playing scheif 21-22 mins a game and him gliding off the ice

Dont understand the plan anymore but if you can constantly demote ehlers then same can be said for scheif

Barron-pld-nino
Kfc-names-ehlers
Lowry-scheif-apples
Ajf-gus-wheels

I mean what have we got to lose at this point? Find a line that can score dirty goals
I like the top line :thumbu:

Reactions: Slimy Sculpin

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

Barron-pld-nino
Kfc-names-ehlers
Lowry-scheif-apples
Ajf-gus-wheels

If markstrom finds his game next season then suddenly the flames are competing for first
Perhaps, but in the scenario of "ifs," if Markstrom has another poor year, the Flames with those 4 key UFAs, are headed towards a rebuild. So far the Flames have been one good year, one bad year since 2019, so the odds are in your favour.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Yup, that and poor finish. Sutter is a good coach but his approach wears thin quickly.

Barron-pld-nino
Kfc-names-ehlers
Lowry-scheif-apples
Ajf-gus-wheels

Yeah I have no idea what the heck is up with overpaying him Wheeler and Conner.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Yup, that and poor finish. Sutter is a good coach but his approach wears thin quickly.

I think that is almost a default with veteran coaches to default to their veterans to pull them out of a slump.

I can't get too down on Scheifele because in my eyes the bulk of offensive chances come from his play, but all the top players here get away with being cute with the puck because no one is really challenging them for playing time. The guy who is getting the short end during this slump is Morgan Barron. At the very least he should be on the checking line...

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

I know you're far into defending Scheif... but Connor and Wheeler are not the ones turning their back to the play constantly. Connor at least looks like he's trying and Wheeler has just run out of gas a lot earlier than ever before.

Again, there must be some reason every season gravitates towards CSW playing together and chewing up minutes... this year they've taken over the power play and its tanked.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I know you're far into defending Scheif... but Connor and Wheeler are not the ones turning their back to the play constantly. Connor at least looks like he's trying and Wheeler has just run out of gas a lot earlier than ever before.

Again, there must be some reason every season gravitates towards CSW playing together and chewing up minutes... this year they've taken over the power play and its tanked.

Conner ininclude because he is poor in his end and isn't contributing on offense. Wheeler as you mentioned is out of gas and should have his minutes cut back.

Mark at times has been great this year and times bad. He's been better then last year, so I guess it depends on whether you want to give him more to have the good play stick or if you think we should cut base. Honestly I'm OK either way at this point.

Reactions: JonS

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015

As a few have noted above, a coach defaulting to what worked (at one time at least) is the easy play.

It clearly isn't the smart play.

We know that a few other line combos have worked this year -- why haven't we seen more of those ones?

We know that a few other PP combos have worked this year -- why haven't we seen more of those ones?

Nope -- that good ol' PP1 that's gone 1/14, 3/27 or whatevs is def the hill to die on.

Because everyone knows that KFC snipes and Wheeler distributes and Scheifele throws to the middle and JMo pots them from the point. Remember?

Reactions: kanadalainen

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Perhaps, but in the scenario of "ifs," if Markstrom has another poor year, the Flames with those 4 key UFAs, are headed towards a rebuild. So far the Flames have been one good year, one bad year since 2019, so the odds are in your favour.

Markstrom has been consistiently inconsistent during his career. No surprise that he's following up a great year with a poor one.

Reactions: voyageur
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad