Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
The refs who stopped this fight need a talking to. Why would you stop that fight? Everyone in the arena wanted to see a goalie fight there.
This was my initial reaction too. But when I thought about it after I genuinely believe the league is trying to prevent head injuries especially in fights (ie: rule about removing helmets for players in a fight), and since goalies have to remove their helmets to fight I would bet the marching orders are to intervene if they can.

None

Feb 22, 2012
This was my initial reaction too. But when I thought about it after I genuinely believe the league is trying to prevent head injuries especially in fights (ie: rule about removing helmets for players in a fight), and since goalies have to remove their helmets to fight I would bet the marching orders are to intervene if they can.

The refs also have an obligation to stop a fight if they're able, so once the linesman had Fleury he couldn't just let him go. Might be liability reasons :dunno:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
The refs who stopped this fight need a talking to. Why would you stop that fight? Everyone in the arena wanted to see a goalie fight there.

Just a theory I came up with so don't jump all over me....

The goalies are the only players that will deliberately start a fight without a helmet. All other players generally start a fight with their helmets on and they might fall off during the fight, but if they do come off , the linesmen jump in right away.

The linemen IMO are instructed to stop all fights that the combatants are at risk of injury. And if the NHL let the goalies in this case fight , there would have been a higher risk to them.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Just a theory I came up with so don't jump all over me....

The goalies are the only players that will deliberately start a fight without a helmet. All other players generally start a fight with their helmets on and they might fall off during the fight, but if they do come off , the linesmen jump in right away.

The linemen IMO are instructed to stop all fights that the combatants are at risk of injury. And if the NHL let the goalies in this case fight , there would have been a higher risk to them.
IMHO, Goalies tend to get more concussions in fights. They also go down awkwardly.

Reactions: cbcwpg

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Marc Andre Fleury is one of my favourite players in the league, he's a guy who deserves the cameras. And the Hall of Fame. I think St. Louis has to buy out Binnington after this season, he's a loose cannon.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I'd be posting that shit on the dressing room whiteboard.

Not that Backlund said anything wrong but to try to put the Jets in the frame of mind that they are life and death right now.

I haven't disliked the way they've played the last half dozen games but at some point you have to make your own luck and I don't think the Jets are playing with an appropriate level of desperation.

We better see that today.

As for fighting, I think it's time for the league to just get rid of it. If there are liability issues and they are preventing injury it just has no place in the game anymore. Don't mess around, just end it. Thank God fighting by appointment is all but done, I always hated that shit. Looking back it seems extremely ridiculous. Take up a roster spot with a guy who can't play but just fights, and then at a certain time of the game, have a boxing match.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I'd be posting that shit on the dressing room whiteboard.

Not that Backlund said anything wrong but to try to put the Jets in the frame of mind that they are life and death right now.

I haven't disliked the way they've played the last half dozen games but at some point you have to make your own luck and I don't think the Jets are playing with an appropriate level of desperation.

We better see that today.

As for fighting, I think it's time for the league to just get rid of it. If there are liability issues and they are preventing injury it just has no place in the game anymore. Don't mess around, just end it. Thank God fighting by appointment is all but done, I always hated that shit. Looking back it seems extremely ridiculous. Take up a roster spot with a guy who can't play but just fights, and then at a certain time of the game, have a boxing match.
Fighting is the stupidest thing in hockey. A league that has rules about hits to the head allows for large men on skates to punch each other in the face and still be able to participate in the game.

SUX2BU

Average user of an average team
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Drouin missed a team meeting (not sure when)

A player got hurt forcing Drouin to be dressed

TOI: 0:00

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: macmaroon

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
Fighting is the stupidest thing in hockey. A league that has rules about hits to the head allows for large men on skates to punch each other in the face and still be able to participate in the game.
The 'no head shots' rules are barely enforced at all (and even then, barely punished), so it's not surprising.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I like what Ottawa is building. They now have a really good and balanced top line, a good mobile dcore and some solid skill and depth upfront. They just need a goalie.

Yea Ottawa has looked great tonight outshooting the Leafs 46-27 the score doesn’t reflect the play. Stuezle is scoring at a 97 point pace this season and he has become a very dynamic dominant player. They are playing fast and physical and you are right that D core is loaded with young talent.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Yea Ottawa has looked great tonight outshooting the Leafs 46-27 the score doesn’t reflect the play. Stuezle is scoring at a 97 point pace this season and he has become a very dynamic dominant player. They are playing fast and physical and you are right that D core is loaded with young talent.
Ryan Reynolds’s team.

Reactions: ps241
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad