Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Time to start moving Helle around in a Hansom cab.

Apparently this is a true story: one night at a production of one of his works, WS Gilbert was mistaken for an attendant by an opera goer, who asked "can you call me a cab?"

"Okay, you're a four-wheeler."

"I beg your pardon?"

"Well, you asked me to call you a cab, and I certainly can't call you 'hansom'"

.... and to balance things off with some wit a little more recent:

Last edited:

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Jets wouldn’t beat Minnesota.
I don't think regular season results predict the playoffs much.

Didn't the Wild completely own the Jets during the regular season in 17/18 when we beat them in the first round?

Likewise I think Edmonton dominated us during the regular season of the COVID/Canada Division year yet we smoked them in the playoffs.

That said I'm not very encouraged by Jets play of late and staggering into the playoffs on the strength of good early season only is not great.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I don't think regular season results predict the playoffs much.

Didn't the Wild completely own the Jets during the regular season in 17/18 when we beat them in the first round?

Likewise I think Edmonton dominated us during the regular season of the COVID/Canada Division year yet we smoked them in the playoffs.

That said I'm not very encouraged by Jets play of late and staggering into the playoffs on the strength of good early season only is not great.

Smoked Edmonton by taking advantage of shaky goaltending and getting metrically dominated in 4 games but getting saved by Hellebuyck, yes.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Smoked Edmonton by taking advantage of shaky goaltending and getting metrically dominated in 4 games but getting saved by Hellebuyck, yes.
that'll go as probably the "closest sweep" in history. 4 games with 3 OTs. only thing closer would be 4 games going to 4 OTs lol.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

How many nights does Edmonton get saved by McDavid. Without him they don’t get by the Kings in the playoffs last season. Hellebuyck is by far our best player and yes there are times he’s the difference.

B33R LEAGUE

"Just another day at the office" -Byfuglien
May 19, 2021
This Minnesota St Louis Game is Interesting.

Almost had a Goalie fight.

This game reminds me ofJets vs St Louis in the playoffs.

Minnesota should win this, but watch the Blues pull it off.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
How many nights does Edmonton get saved by McDavid. Without him they don’t get by the Kings in the playoffs last season. Hellebuyck is by far our best player and yes there are times he’s the difference.

Sure, but "smoked them in the playoffs" is a wild exaggeration.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Can’t wait until they start awarding the Stanley Cup to the team that “metrically dominates” another team but still loses :laugh:
Metrically dominates usually equates to a 55% vs 45% split of ~100 Corsi events in a game, maybe one good shift either way.

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015
4-0 series win is 4-0 series win. I don't see it as a "wild exaggeration". Wins in overtime don't count as losses, at least to me. YMMV but I'm guessing Edmonton fans don't feel that the dominated or won that series.

Based on some of their main board cheerleaders, I sometimes feel like their fans feel like they dominate every game and series -- certainly against the Jets.

But yeah -- we swept and with some style, as I remember it. And I suspect 55 still has the bruises to show for it.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
So I finally found some stats that would give me some substance on a certain bugbear I have with modern coaches: the 'coaches challenge' for a goal.

Side note: one of the most significant lessons I remember from one of my first poker coaches: he told me that for two weeks, I should make notes of every time I had a "close decision" in my head. Like a ton of plays in poker are obvious, some are close but still clear, and relatively few are literally so close that you'd resort to a random event generator (yes, this is why top level poker pros still wear wrist-watches; so they can generate random events by looking at the second readouts).

So he says, "every close call, make a note. If you win, note what you won; if you lose, note what you lost making that 'close call'"

I come back two weeks later and I say "okay here's how I did" and before I showed him, he said "if your results are anything other than close to zero, you're doing something VERY wrong".

And it sunk in, right? If you think it's a "close call" but you have a massive edge when you do it, it really isn't a close call, huh?

Anyways: here are this year's current stats on the "close call" of challenging a goal.

151 success, 50 failures.

75% chance of taking a goal off the board, 25% chance of a 20% chance of being scored on.

Suffice it to say, this is NOT a close call. Coaches are being INSANELY too conservative.

Of course, our own coach Jurassic Bones is +5 -2 this year; if he was +2 -5 he'd be almost close to optimal.

And yes, a hundred times yes, I understand that there is a lot of hockey that can't be boiled down to percentages.

This is one, and the most obvious one. Completely inexcusable for the league as a whole to be this far off the mark.

So it really wasn't close. The coach didn't think it was that close or he wouldn't risk the penalty. The ref either thought it was close or thought it wasn't close but on the opposite side of the issue.

Do away with coaches challenges. Have the war room monitoring every play. If it is so close that they need to study it for several minutes, from umpteen angles, then it is too close to overrule the ref on the ice. If it is a grossly missed call by the officials, blow the horn.

The whole purpose of bringing in these challenges was to correct those gross miscalls that are bound to happen occasionally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad