Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I just hate mullets. I’m sure there’s some decent people that have them though. Hate that that stupid haircut is back. Whatever. You’d have to pay me for one.
Current POTUS:

NYB_JWUC_400x400.jpeg

B33R LEAGUE

"Just another day at the office" -Byfuglien
May 19, 2021
We're getting Timo Meier, I know this because I am personally dedicating 100% of my energy into willing this into existence.

Last thing on that other topic: thanks to @gojetsgo for finding that citation for me, and I see now that I was likely in error, *assuming* that there isn't some requirement that the person making the threat must plausibly likely in carrying out that threat. Because if there was, I wouldn't want to be the lawyer having to convince the jury that Linguine Limb Larry was more threatening than his girlfriend was.

Apparently Meier was spotted at the Tempo gas station off Mandalay and Inkster.

The gas station attendant confirmed he will be in a Jets Uniform on Tuesday against Seattle.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Interesting stats, but it's strange that he is -13 on an island all of his own with a team that otherwise has good numbers. While +/- doesn't tell you a lot, it means that he is getting scored on more than any of his teammates, and in multiple different combinations, because no one else in the forward group is near that number.

His 3.1/60 GA ES would put him behind only Kuhlman here among forwards, and tied with several of the Jets stars, whose numbers are impacted by EN goals against.

I've never thought of Puljujarvi as a defensive forward, simply because I don't think his skating is anywhere near strong enough for a defensive role, so those stats you have are hard to understand, maybe a result of getting some ice time with Mc Jesus, who tips the shot meter generally?

It's the goals for that's the big problem for +/-. He gives up around the same as Nuge per 60 min, but scores way less. But the chances, etc, the underlying numbers outside of the raw goals lean his way. Obviously part of the goals for problem is him, which again why he'd be a cheap acquire.

CA/60 he has the best numbers on the Oilers with guys above a dozen games, and would be third behind Harkins and Stenlund's 25ish game sample sizes.

SA/60 near top of the Oilers and near top compared to the Jets with AJF.

xGA/60 only Derek Ryan is ahead, and he's again with Harkins and Stenlund.

xGF% he's 7th on the Oilers with 53%. That would have him 5th on the Jets behind Gagner.

HDCA/60 he's #2 behind Derek Ryan and would be third on the Jets behind Eyssimont if you count his 19 games and Harkins.

His on ice shooting % is 5.82 His on ice save % is 90.23

That would be the third worst on the Jets in shooting, and only Kuhlman (and Reichel in 2 games) have a worse on ice save %.

Obviously comparing these stats across teams is pointless, but the point is he's one of the better defensive players on a playoff team and they want to give him away for free, and we have a lot of forwards who do not play good defense.

Skating is a strength of his. Again it's his offense Oilers fans complain about.

Reactions: DRW204

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
It's the goals for that's the big problem for +/-. He gives up around the same as Nuge per 60 min, but scores way less. But the chances, etc, the underlying numbers outside of the raw goals lean his way. Obviously part of the goals for problem is him, which again why he'd be a cheap acquire.

CA/60 he has the best numbers on the Oilers with guys above a dozen games, and would be third behind Harkins and Stenlund's 25ish game sample sizes.

SA/60 near top of the Oilers and near top compared to the Jets with AJF.

xGA/60 only Derek Ryan is ahead, and he's again with Harkins and Stenlund.

xGF% he's 7th on the Oilers with 53%. That would have him 5th on the Jets behind Gagner.

HDCA/60 he's #2 behind Derek Ryan and would be third on the Jets behind Eyssimont if you count his 19 games and Harkins.

His on ice shooting % is 5.82 His on ice save % is 90.23

That would be the third worst on the Jets in shooting, and only Kuhlman (and Reichel in 2 games) have a worse on ice save %.

Obviously comparing these stats across teams is pointless, but the point is he's one of the better defensive players on a playoff team and they want to give him away for free, and we have a lot of forwards who do not play good defense.

Skating is a strength of his. Again it's his offense Oilers fans complain about.
without digging to deep
going to guess he's playing away from the top-6 this year, and Oilers goaltending with Campbell has been awful. so equates to a pretty crap +/-.
Tarasenko cashes in right away for the Rangers on the top line
playing with his boy Panarin wonder if he re-signs there for something relatively reasonable. he was pushing for STL when he was an FA going to CHI iirc.

SUX2BU

Average user of an average team
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Tarasenko cashes in right away for the Rangers on the top line

Mikkola (other ex bloo) takes his third minor this game

However, he shouldn’t have been penalized for delay of game as Beniers stick got in the way

Turk is losing his mind but rightfully so
:popcorn:

Reactions: bustamente

SUX2BU

Average user of an average team
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
You should be allowed to challenge that

I don’t; there’s enough going on with offsides and goal crease positioning to slow the game down

Beside, there’s four sets of eyes wearing stripes that should get it right

Edit: of course, they got it wrong there but the lineman appears to have apologized to Turk

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Exactly what the Jets need! An average defensive minded forward !!!

God knows we have oh so many reliable defensive forwards.

5.25+ million in cap space + actual assets for a broken down rental Jonathan Toews to win 3 extra faceoffs a game while getting caved in on the ice though? :hockey:

Or soft, broken down Kevin Hayes 2.0 in JVR @ 3.5 million + assets.

The possibilities are endless :laugh:

Reactions: Stumbledore

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

5.25+ million in cap space + actual assets for a broken down rental Jonathan Toews to win 3 extra faceoffs a game while getting caved in on the ice though? :hockey:

To be fair, I want neither of them

If meier had chemistry with ehlers... then pay the price and give him an extra 500k per year for shitty weather bonus

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Hopefully us. He's better defensively than all the waivers guys and replacement stuff we trot out, and his "awful year" still has him pacing around the "great bottom 6" guys we have like Appleton, Stenlund and AJF. Plus it's 3 mil this year then he's an RFA. If you want a shutdown line with Lowry this years Pulju would be a good choice unlike broken down Toews.

Interesting stats, but it's strange that he is -13 on an island all of his own with a team that otherwise has good numbers. While +/- doesn't tell you a lot, it means that he is getting scored on more than any of his teammates, and in multiple different combinations, because no one else in the forward group is near that number.

His 3.1/60 GA ES would put him behind only Kuhlman here among forwards, and tied with several of the Jets stars, whose numbers are impacted by EN goals against.

I've never thought of Puljujarvi as a defensive forward, simply because I don't think his skating is anywhere near strong enough for a defensive role, so those stats you have are hard to understand, maybe a result of getting some ice time with Mc Jesus, who tips the shot meter generally?
Yeah, I think Maenalanen already does what Puju does better, for less money.

Say we do pick him up, we lose that cap this year, and if we don't give him a QO we lose him for nothing.

So, we give up cap for a guy who does nothing to move the needle for us.

I'd rather use those assets for an impact player.

Last edited:

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

I don't want those players, either.

I want a player who can step in immediately and improve the team in the area they are strong at.

I want a player with some term if we are going to give up significant assets for them.

I think the market is going to be good for the Jets this tdl, I don't see how Puju, Toews, or JVR make the Jets meaningfully better.

We need to remember a lot of our bottom 6 have been disrupted by injury and schedule too. I keep thinking some of them have the potential to produce more with some stability. That might be wishful thinking, but id rather stick with the guys who put us in our position and see if they can bring more, rather than bring in a new guy who has struggled and give him that opportunity.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Yeah, I think Maenalanen already does what Puju does better, for less money.

Say we do pick him up, we lose that cap this year, and if we don't give him a QO we lose him for nothing.

So, we give up cap for a guy who does nothing to move the needle for us.

I'd rather use those assets for an impact player.

Sak isn't good defensively. He's in the bottom 5(sometimes bottom 2 or 3) of Jets forwards in shots, corsi, xgoals, etc etc. Goalies have a .957 save % when he's on the ice so it looks nice(#1 on the Jets there!).

Like, if we had Pulju all year we'd be ranting about Sak needing to be out of the lineup first :laugh:.

Even if we acquire Pulju for free we'd still have the cap space for Meier or another *impact player*. One has shown to be much better offensively as well.

Reactions: Jack7222

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Sak isn't good defensively. He's in the bottom 5(sometimes bottom 2 or 3) of Jets forwards in shots, corsi, xgoals, etc etc. Goalies have a .957 save % when he's on the ice so it looks nice(#1 on the Jets there!).

Like, if we had Pulju all year we'd be ranting about Sak needing to be out of the lineup first :laugh:.

Even if we acquire Pulju for free we'd still have the cap space for Meier or another *impact player*. One has shown to be much better offensively as well.
Maybe something he is doing is helping the goalies to have that save percentage. That save percentage is a tangible number unlike expected goals for or against which is the most bullshit stat in hockey in my opinion.

I like the way Maenalanen plays. I felt he was physical in the right way before his injury, and I thought he was starting to get back to that style, though a shoulder injury could affect that.

Either way, I don't see the benefit of adding Puju's salary for what he actually brings.

Last edited:

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Maybe something he is doing is helping the goalies to have that save percentage. That save percentage is a tangible number unlike expected goals for or against which is the most bullshit stat in hockey in my opinion.

I like the way Maenalanen plays. I felt he was physical in the right way before his injury, and I thought he was starting to get back to that style, though a shoulder injury could affect that.

Either way, I don't see the benefit of adding Puju's salary for what he actually brings.
Expected goals certainly doesn't favour any player who is tasked with primarily defensive zone responsibilities. Because they will get outshot. Maenalanen's actual defensive impact, measured in goals against, is the highest on the team. So he is doing something right on the ice, maybe it's blocking shots, maybe it's winning board battles, maybe zone clears. For a guy like Puljujarvi to be headed to waivers, by many accounts, he is doing something wrong on the ice.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Saku doesn’t do much for me. Not sure Pulju is the guy to replace him, but I’m assuming he and Kuhlman will be the ones out if we pick up a couple of players at the deadline.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Expected goals certainly doesn't favour any player who is tasked with primarily defensive zone responsibilities. Because they will get outshot. Maenalanen's actual defensive impact, measured in goals against, is the highest on the team. So he is doing something right on the ice, maybe it's blocking shots, maybe it's winning board battles, maybe zone clears. For a guy like Puljujarvi to be headed to waivers, by many accounts, he is doing something wrong on the ice.
Exactly. I do not like statistics that are based on opinion and subjective metrics. They are way too easy to manipulate - I know it because we do it in our business all the time.

At the end of the day, the hard numbers that are black and white are the ones that should have the most weight. These other models can be used for anectdotal insights but really nothing more.

A shot from the slot does not = a shot from the slot.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB

Okay, now I gotta know how "expected goals for" is a bullshit stat, given that it's literally nothing more than "shot attempts for" plus the very true concept that not all shots on goal have an equal chance to go in.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That's not a problem

If I know words are gonna get me punched, I might not say them. Getting punched isn't fun. That's my point.

From there, if people knew that punches got them crowbarred, they'd be less likely to punch people.

Having an usher remove someone isn't enough of a consequence to make people second guess their vile actions.

And please stop shitting on America. My wife is American and my kids were born down there. Plenty of good people live there. And I seem to recall a guy getting tossed down the stairs and into the boards at... *checks notes*... Canada Life Centre, which is in... *checks notes again*... Canada... not too long ago

Most of the Americans I have known or met have been good people, as far as I could tell.

But Amerika is a mess in so many ways.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
just keep defending a racist because he got hit in the face after threatening the guy...:help:

That's not what he is doing. He is not defending a racist. Nowhere did he say the guy was right or justified. He is just disapproving of the resort to violence.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
naw, sorry the racist dude who threatened the guy is in the wrong, if you want to eliminate your chances of being hit, then don't threaten random guys

We should be able to agree that both guys were in the wrong. Really.

In principle, I agree with Alpha. OTOH I like seeing the jackass get a fist in the face as much as the next guy. But it was wrong. The right thing to do was to call security and have the guy thrown out. That's what we do in a civil society. At least in principle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad