Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

None

Feb 22, 2012
If the cronyism wasn't obvious already, former Pittsburgh assistant Mike Yeo survived the cuts in Vancouver.

Reactions: snowkiddin

None

Feb 22, 2012
Isn't he the coach in charge of the league's worst 67.4 % PK?

Don't worry, Darren Dreger says they're building a winner.

:sarcasm:

Edit:
TmcUJpe.png

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
West standings are really close. If Winnipeg lost to Calgary twice i(nstead of two wins) teams would nearly be tied.

Jets only 8 pts up on a playoff space.
We just need to stay ahead of Minny or Avs. If we’re top 3 in Central then the WC chase doesn’t matter for getting in.

I definitely want to avoid a 1st round series with Colorado. But careful what you wish for. There won’t really be any easy outs. Who ever gets in will be playing well to make it. Minny, LA, Edmonton or Calgary would all be tough. But preferable to Colorado. IMO

Having Dallas and Colorado beat each other up in round 1 would be nice.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Yeah, I think once the Canucks are finished torturing him and finally fire him, it would be a good time for him to step away from hockey and enjoy life a little.
I think the Canucks have screwed themselves from the time they let Linden go. He apparently wanted to rebuild the team and Aquilini refuses to accept a rebuild, and then pays the cheques for substandard talent to stay mediocre.
We just need to stay ahead of Minny or Avs. If we’re top 3 in Central then the WC chase doesn’t matter for getting in.

I definitely want to avoid a 1st round series with Colorado. But careful what you wish for. There won’t really be any easy outs. Who ever gets in will be playing well to make it. Minny, LA, Edmonton or Calgary would all be tough. But preferable to Colorado. IMO

The road through the West goes through the Avalanche until they get knocked out. While I think the Avs are the kind of team that you beat and then the West opens up. The Jets seem to match their pace more than Minny's physcality. Nashville is 4 points back of Minny right now, and going in the right direction, whereas Minnesota is still screwed by the buyouts to significantly improve. That would be the team I'd like to face. Probably be the easiest to take out.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

We also are not an easy out.

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
That OEL contract will be if it's not already 1 of the worst contracts in the NHL, Myers still has another year at 6, gave Miller a huge contract based on 1 great year, and gave Mikheyev at UFA contract he didn't deserve. They have more than coaching problems in Vancouver

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
So the Canucks finally tie the can to Boudreau and hire Tocchet.
Bruce made a joke as why it took so long ... maybe they were waiting for the Black Hawks and CBJ games. So I took I look at their schedule and it makes sense Canucks played Avs x2. Bolts x2, Canes, Oilers, Jets, Panthers, Penguins when this mess was made public.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It's not even a secret anymore, every big talking head is saying that Tocchet has already essentially been hired, his assistants chosen and the talk now is that they're going to drag Bruce Boudreau along for another week or two before firing him because they don't have their ducks in a row.

What an embarrassing organization, the fans deserve far better.

Boudreau deserved a lot better.

I'd enjoy seeing him take over in Anaheim. They have a good start on their rebuild. They could stomp on Van for the next several years in Div standings.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
i agree. at the same time, JT Miller did have 118 pts in 122 gp prior to last season as a Canuck, or 79 pt/82 gp player. i think players in that range roughly would go for 8M 🤷‍♂️.

But if you back up a few months and look at the situation do you go about it that way? All things considered, which C is more valuable to the team, the one who doesn't seem to get along but scores a little more, or the team captain who seems to lead well and scores a little less?

The situation was that you had to know you might not have the cap space to sign both. I would have wanted to lock up Bo first and then see if I could find a way to afford extending JT. If not, then trade JT.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
But if you back up a few months and look at the situation do you go about it that way? All things considered, which C is more valuable to the team, the one who doesn't seem to get along but scores a little more, or the team captain who seems to lead well and scores a little less?

The situation was that you had to know you might not have the cap space to sign both. I would have wanted to lock up Bo first and then see if I could find a way to afford extending JT. If not, then trade JT.
They had offers for both. One chose to sign the other bet on themselves, and is now having a career season. so what can you do. Horvat seems to lead well, how? They havent won squat.

They should've probably traded both

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah, my point in waiting is that you'd get a better gauge of what JT Miller actually is as a player and probably come to the right conclusion that it doesn't make sense to keep him.

Edit: I think his closest production comparison was Sean Monahan's current contract which was 8.73 CH% in 2016 or like 7.2 million AAV. But Monahan was also a 22 year old RFA when he signed that.

Coming off that career year, Miller's trade value would have been high. Should have traded him last off-season.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
There’s only so much balance you can have with the oilers having 3 players take up so much $$
the thing that is killing them is the goaltending. their fwd group on production i think is solid. 4x20 goal scorers, 4xppg players, 12 fwds with 10+ pts, and overall top-3 goal scoring team. id say defensively they're around middle of the pack, but their goaltending seems to be pretty inconsistent.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
When the DA in whatever county Philly is in presses charges against Provorov for not wearing a warmup jersey I'll be there with you defending his right to free speech. His right to free speech isn't being violated at all.

Think it's ridiculous people feel the need to shut down any discussion on his decision by saying that the discussion attacks his right to free speech. It doesn't.

Freely spoken. Freely countered.
Free speech is a 2 way street. More than 2 actually. It is wide open.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
They had offers for both. One chose to sign the other bet on themselves, and is now having a career season. so what can you do. Horvat seems to lead well, how? They havent won squat.

They should've probably traded both

By all appearances from this distance he SEEMS to lead well.

If it had been me, I would have prioritized getting Bo. I would have made him a good offer. Not sure if some of the rumoured numbers are accurate or not.

Trading both might not have been a bad idea if they are going to go full tear down/rebuild. Hard to know what they are planning.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
One final question then. Is it okay for a Jets player not to participate in warmup on South Asian Heritage night on February 11th? The players will be required to wear a specially designed warmup jersey honouring South Asian cultures.

Good question.
On one hand, we don't need to agree with any person's opinions or ideas in order to respect their right to those ideas. OTOH, that would appear to be racist. Our society has decided, collectively but far from unanimously, that racism is wrong and won't be tolerated.

Can we accept that some people opt out of our anti-racism? How are these 2 situations different? Our society has also chosen to accept LGBTQ people. Is it good enough that those who disagree simply opt out of supporting these societal choices? Is anything served by pressuring them to pretend support something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad