Around the NHL — Episode XLXVII

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I don't think it's fair to call him an albatross, but it was made pretty clear since the last TDL, that trading him wasn't an option without holding back cap. Even Garrioch reported it.

Of course he's not an albatross but there's not that many players who would get picked up without salary going back the other way. It's just the reality of the league right now, cap space is extremely valuable.

The kind of player who would get traded for without asking for salary going back the other way are Tim Stutzle or Jack Hughes types. Even Erik Karlsson required a lot of retention and salary movement after winning a Norris, in a season where he scored over 100 pts, something that hasn't been done in 30 years. If it was not enough, he had 25 more ESP than the 2nd best D-man. and incredibly finished 4th among all skaters. Again, it's just the reality. Which is exactly the reason why I gave an example where I was demonstrating that it would require salary out vs salary in.

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Its kind of funny, all broadcast last night noodles is talking about how Forsberg can push Ullmark, I feel like Noodles hasn't paid attention to Forsberg for over a year now...

Sucks because Forsberg is very likeable but the guy simply hasn't been the same since his bunch of injuries. It's his last chance, has to bounce back this season but he really seems to lack focus early in games

Are you talking about Chabot? That's crazy talk.

His contract will look better and better. Let's see how he does this year before writing him off.

Just ignore, this is a copy/paste with Spezza back in the days but with a D-man. Chabot is only appreciated when he's not playing and people realize the big hole it creates. There's also this weird thought that "since we have Sanderson", we don't need Chabot as much anymore. lol you need more than one good D-man in this league. After the 7 seasons we just had, it is weird.

Yes, Chabot has a high salary but it's not really different than all these high profile D-men. Many of them could be considered "overpaid". And let's also not forget that Chabot has averaged 52 pts per 82 games since he was 21 y/o. Everyone knows (or should) that points = $$$

I'm totally HOPING that we have 3 high end D-men in Sanderson, Chabot and Yakemchuk, that would be just perfect. Just fill the rest of the defense with Zubs, Siegenthalers, DeMelos and even Kovacevics types.

Last edited:
Reactions: OD99

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Odd that some teams have played regular season games while others are still playing exhibition games. Maybe its happened before, but I just forgot.

It does kinda makes sense. New Jersey and Buffalo are in Europe right now, so getting going a couple days early so they can readjust back to North American time without squishing the rest of their season too much is good for them. They're definitely getting a better deal than we did a few years ago.

Reactions: maclean and DrEasy

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I think Chabot is a mid level 2nd pair guy. He's got great transition skills and carries the puck well. He doesn't defend well and isn't really a shooting threat on the pp.

Look at his role this year

Shutdown LD? Sanderson
PP1 QB? looking like Sanderson
PK? That's probably not happening either.

His role has diminished. If Yakemchuk matures quickly he might not even have a spot of PP2 next year.

He's a couple Ms overpaid based on his likely utilization
Mid level 2nd pair?

I don't know know about that. He has had to carry the D for years without proper insulation.

If his wrist has been bothering him for a couple years, that would certainly limit his ability as well.

He is a very good player, with one of his solid attributes being a transition guy. I hope we see him flash more of his offensive abilities now that we have more even groups.

Seeing him shoot more than usual in camp is also positive. I think you have undervalued him.

Reactions: DrEasy

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
It does kinda makes sense. New Jersey and Buffalo are in Europe right now, so getting going a couple days early so they can readjust back to North American time without squishing the rest of their season too much is good for them. They're definitely getting a better deal than we did a few years ago.
Yes, that does make sense. I guess it just seems odd.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Matt Rempe, you and your stupid face are on notice, Zach Ostapchuk is in the NHL and the Ottawa Senators are looking to smash some faces

• Haha
Reactions: thinkwild

Sensators

Sep 15, 2009
Would like to claim pelletier, injuries have derailed him but he was thought of quite highly 1 year ago. Can play different roles.

Edm giving Josh brown 3 years was literal insanity.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Shane Bowers is available after being waived by NJD.

We can finally undo Dorion’s wrong and bring him back where he belongs.

Its funny how both Bowers and Byram are gone from Colorado after what a big deal they made about the trade return.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Its funny how both Bowers and Byram are gone from Colorado after what a big deal they made about the trade return.
I mean, I wouldn't mind having mittlestadt either, just because they moved Byram doesn't mean that trade isn't still paying them dividends, and nobody complained about moving Bowers...

Reactions: Icelevel

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I mean, I wouldn't mind having mittlestadt either, just because they moved Byram doesn't mean that trade isn't still paying them dividends, and nobody complained about moving Bowers...

Byram was drafted as a can’t miss franchise level defenceman. At least, that was the word when it came down to Tkachuk vs. Byram.

Middlestadt is a middle sixer.

Some people did indeed complain about moving Bowers.

Still not a great trade but Colorado could have done better.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Byram was drafted as a can’t miss franchise level defenceman. At least, that was the word when it came down to Tkachuk vs. Byram.

Middlestadt is a middle sixer.

Some people did indeed complain about moving Bowers.

Still not a great trade but Colorado could have done better.
If middle sixers are 60 pts a year guys then we are in trouble with Perron, Amadio, Greig

The hyperbole goes both ways, perhaps some people were a little too high on Byrams potential (he's still got a promising career ahead of him) but when you start describing Mittlestadt as a middle six guy rather than top 6 is just the same thing in reverse. It was a bad trade either way, one we'd have been much better off not making.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
If middle sixers are 60 pts a year guys then we are in trouble with Perron, Amadio, Greig

I don’t think it’s hyperbole to call a guy with a career high of 18 goals a middle six guy.

Calling him a top six guy is a stretch - on how many teams would he be the #1C?

He’d be a 3C on more than a few teams.
Would you trade Pinto for him?

Duchene is still a lot better than anyone else involved in the trade and it’s been year.

Believe me, I don’t think much of the guys you named either. We’ll see about Greig.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
He's 25 and has back to back 59 and 57 pts seasons playing in the top 6 for both teams.

Strange hill to die on.

I don’t see those kinds of guys as particularly rare.

Pinto beat Casey’s career high in goals as a rookie.

Not sure why you are insulted - I think he’s more likely to play on that third line than the first line for most teams in the league.

Thats what they ended up with after fleecing Dorion and getting the 4th overall pick.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don’t see those kinds of guys as particularly rare.

Pinto beat Casey’s career high in goals as a rookie.

Not sure why you are insulted - I think he’s more likely to play on that third line than the first line for most teams in the league.
Well he's a guy playing in the top 6 of a contender, so regardless of whether you think it's rare or not, it seems pretty straight forward. He was 82nd among forwards over the last two seasons in scoring,

I'm not insulted, surprised at your take would be more accurate.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Well he's a guy playing in the top 6 of a contender, so regardless of whether you think it's rare or not, it seems pretty straight forward. He was 82nd among forwards over the last two seasons in scoring,

I'm not insulted, surprised at your take would be more accurate.

And 75th in goals among centres alone over that same time period.

He’s a decent player but I would be disappointed if he was the outcome of a 4th overall pick.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Yes, that does make sense. I guess it just seems odd.

It was definitely odd when I turned on the highlights from the Detroit game the next day thinking it was our first regular season game since there had just been a legit NHL game here in Prague and for a few seconds I was like, whoa why are they playing like it's still preseason yikes

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

This quote really sums up the Dorion G.M. experience for me:

“I knew exactly what to do, but in a much more real sense I had no idea what to do.”

• Haha
Reactions: NyQuil

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
It was never Byram vs Tkachuk?

Byram's injuries contributed more to him not reaching his potential than anything else.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It was never Byram vs Tkachuk?

Byram's injuries contributed more to him not reaching his potential than anything else.

Ottawa could have punted the pick to next year.

There were a lot of immediate comparisons following Colorado’s selection.

I like Byram and there’s still a lot of untapped potential but Tkachuk is a star player at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad