Around the NHL — Episode XLXVII

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I don't think it's fair to call him an albatross, but it was made pretty clear since the last TDL, that trading him wasn't an option without holding back cap. Even Garrioch reported it.

Of course he's not an albatross but there's not that many players who would get picked up without salary going back the other way. It's just the reality of the league right now, cap space is extremely valuable.

The kind of player who would get traded for without asking for salary going back the other way are Tim Stutzle or Jack Hughes types. Even Erik Karlsson required a lot of retention and salary movement after winning a Norris, in a season where he scored over 100 pts, something that hasn't been done in 30 years. If it was not enough, he had 25 more ESP than the 2nd best D-man. and incredibly finished 4th among all skaters. Again, it's just the reality. Which is exactly the reason why I gave an example where I was demonstrating that it would require salary out vs salary in.

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Its kind of funny, all broadcast last night noodles is talking about how Forsberg can push Ullmark, I feel like Noodles hasn't paid attention to Forsberg for over a year now...

Sucks because Forsberg is very likeable but the guy simply hasn't been the same since his bunch of injuries. It's his last chance, has to bounce back this season but he really seems to lack focus early in games

Are you talking about Chabot? That's crazy talk.

His contract will look better and better. Let's see how he does this year before writing him off.

Just ignore, this is a copy/paste with Spezza back in the days but with a D-man. Chabot is only appreciated when he's not playing and people realize the big hole it creates. There's also this weird thought that "since we have Sanderson", we don't need Chabot as much anymore. lol you need more than one good D-man in this league. After the 7 seasons we just had, it is weird.

Yes, Chabot has a high salary but it's not really different than all these high profile D-men. Many of them could be considered "overpaid". And let's also not forget that Chabot has averaged 52 pts per 82 games since he was 21 y/o. Everyone knows (or should) that points = $$$

I'm totally HOPING that we have 3 high end D-men in Sanderson, Chabot and Yakemchuk, that would be just perfect. Just fill the rest of the defense with Zubs, Siegenthalers, DeMelos and even Kovacevics types.

Last edited:
Reactions: OD99

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Odd that some teams have played regular season games while others are still playing exhibition games. Maybe its happened before, but I just forgot.

It does kinda makes sense. New Jersey and Buffalo are in Europe right now, so getting going a couple days early so they can readjust back to North American time without squishing the rest of their season too much is good for them. They're definitely getting a better deal than we did a few years ago.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I think Chabot is a mid level 2nd pair guy. He's got great transition skills and carries the puck well. He doesn't defend well and isn't really a shooting threat on the pp.

Look at his role this year

Shutdown LD? Sanderson
PP1 QB? looking like Sanderson
PK? That's probably not happening either.

His role has diminished. If Yakemchuk matures quickly he might not even have a spot of PP2 next year.

He's a couple Ms overpaid based on his likely utilization
Mid level 2nd pair?

I don't know know about that. He has had to carry the D for years without proper insulation.

If his wrist has been bothering him for a couple years, that would certainly limit his ability as well.

He is a very good player, with one of his solid attributes being a transition guy. I hope we see him flash more of his offensive abilities now that we have more even groups.

Seeing him shoot more than usual in camp is also positive. I think you have undervalued him.

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
It does kinda makes sense. New Jersey and Buffalo are in Europe right now, so getting going a couple days early so they can readjust back to North American time without squishing the rest of their season too much is good for them. They're definitely getting a better deal than we did a few years ago.
Yes, that does make sense. I guess it just seems odd.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Matt Rempe, you and your stupid face are on notice, Zach Ostapchuk is in the NHL and the Ottawa Senators are looking to smash some faces

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad