Around the NHL — Episode XLXVII

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Implying that there's some kind of big win for Vegas to pay Lehner under the table instead of through LTIR is nonsense considering there's not much of an impact to their cap situation if he's not able to play.

Blows my mind that Sweeney chose to trade Ullmark for peanuts if there were issues like this with Swayman and the team bubbling under the surface.
Boston was afraid that Ullmark would put Ottawa on his NTC come July 1st or something. I guess they couldn't find any decent deals for him.

I still think all this will be blown over in a week and he will sign

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So, Geekie gets a suspension for starting a fight after a line change and Xherji gets a fine for chasing a guy down and punching him in the back of the head?

Okay. Game on Saturday night, I guess.
Ya, idk how you justify that, like, if Geekie did a lap first it would have been no problem? I get there's a rule against it, but what Xhekaj did to pare was so much worse

Reactions: Blotto71

Blotto71

Okay, maybe the worst is behind us...?
May 12, 2013
Over There
Ya, idk how you justify that, like, if Geekie did a lap first it would have been no problem? I get there's a rule against it, but what Xhekaj did to pare was so much worse
Hopefully the next guy that wants to do what Geekie did does do a lap! Full speed, no regard for the play, then jumps the guy! I don't condone violence but that would be entertaining.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
So, Geekie gets a suspension for starting a fight after a line change and Xherji gets a fine for chasing a guy down and punching him in the back of the head?

Suspensions in the NHL have to be the most confusing and unpredictable of all the pro leagues. Amazing how much they seem to botch it. It's like there's just no consistency whatsoever.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
It’s just preseason but watching Colorado Vegas now, they both look so much better than us so far. Structure and skill. Far ahead of us. And that’s the reality.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
It’s just preseason but watching Colorado Vegas now, they both look so much better than us so far. Structure and skill. Far ahead of us. And that’s the reality.
New Jersey vs Flyers was pretty good too, but ya, have that Avs/VGK game on now as well.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
It's likely his contract was voided and he agreed not to grieve it for a pay-out of some fraction of the remaining contract amount.

It would still be on the cap if that were the case. That is what happened with Mike Richards.

Screenshot 2024-10-04 at 12.33.54 AM.png

It is possible that the settlement isn't paid out for a very long time. For example, if the settlement is paid out between 2030-2040, any dead cap in relation to that wouldn't be on the books until that time. If you look at the Michael Richards settlement, it's pretty clear that termination fees are calculated using the exact amount charged each year, not an AAV. So if Lehner for example agreed to 250k for 20 years between 2030-2050, the dead cap wouldn't be on the books until 2030.

In which case, it would make me wonder if there was any backroom negotiating between Lehner's agent and the team prior to Lehner not showing up. This is assuming deferring the payments would prevent or dissuade Lehner's creditors from going after the money. Additionally, someone who has handled their finances in the way Lehner allegedly has is probably better off getting a yearly salary (along with his NHLPA Pension) spread over a long period of time instead of getting 5M or whatever he was owed up front.

I get that people are tired of Vegas managing their cap so creatively, but if the above is anywhere close to what happened, it's more Vegas taking advantage of a perfect storm. Rarely will there be a case where a player might benefit from forgoing 5M now to take a settlement in the future.

Ultimately, there is no way that Lehner is getting paid by Vegas, and it's not somehow on the cap. So my guess is that it is on the cap, just not until some obscene time like 2030, 2040, or 2050.

It's a specific rule that exists as a deterrent to prevent bench clearing brawls. It is a cut and dry punishment that is very steep, because the NHL wants to dissuade players from starting those types of brawls.

David Clarkson got hit with one in his first season in Toronto. I have no idea why I was watching that game, but it's one of those moments where I can remember where I was. I also have no idea why I can remember where I was when I watched it, but that's life.

StutzlingAway

Feb 28, 2017
I don't see Boston getting much worse. They play a simple game, their first line is great. They have a decent middle six. I'm not sure about their fourth line but it has Kastelic! Their defence is huge and be a tough out for teams in a nightly basis. Swayman still is the X factor because I don't believe in Korpisalo at all, he is not consistent enough. Let's see what haooens.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ask yourself how many suspensions there are in all of the other pro leagues combined. The NHL is on an island when it comes to suspensions.
I feel like NHL has more incidents though, combined with a format where a 1 game suspension is a reasonable punishment.

In football, a 1 game suspension is equivalent to 5 in the NHL,
In Baseball, there isn't a lot of situations worthy of suspensions, PED use, rarely you get fights, and the odd unsportsmanlike situation.
Basketball suspends guys for instigating altercations on court, seems the NHL gives guys a 5 min timeout in the corner to both participants for the same.

The NHL and hockey in general has a culture that allows stuff that just doesn't happen to the same degree in other sports. Every other sport would have suspended WIFI for what he did to Pare.

Blotto71

Okay, maybe the worst is behind us...?
May 12, 2013
Over There
It's a specific rule that exists as a deterrent to prevent bench clearing brawls. It is a cut and dry punishment that is very steep, because the NHL wants to dissuade players from starting those types of brawls.

David Clarkson got hit with one in his first season in Toronto. I have no idea why I was watching that game, but it's one of those moments where I can remember where I was. I also have no idea why I can remember where I was when I watched it, but that's life.
I understand the rule, and don't have an issue with it, per say. I was just illustrating the dichotomy of the two situations. A line change where a player is targeted for a fight versus a player being chased down and assaulted. The DPS got it wrong, I feel, when it fined Xherkja for actions that were just as egregious as Geekie's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad